    do you get these (not listed on DSE or Jaycar). 2) as it's a combined
    VHF/UHF antenna do I need a diplexer before the splitter?

    Thanks

    SNOman, Apr 12, 2005

  2. SNOman

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:23:34 +1200, SNOman wrote:

    > Sorry about cross posting this to nz.comp but figured I might get a
    > quicker answer.
    >
    > Install a new combined VHF/UHF tv antenna. It has a 75ohm connector and
    > have installed RG6 coax down to a 4 way f type splitter. House is on a
    > hill top in Albany (rural block) and has direct line of site to sky
    > tower but a behind a few pine trees for the Waitak transmitter.
    >
    > Couple of questions. 1) if not all outputs on the splitter are used do
    > you need to install a 75ohm terminator on the unused ones? if so where
    > do you get these (not listed on DSE or Jaycar). 2) as it's a combined
    > VHF/UHF antenna do I need a diplexer before the splitter?
    >
    > Thanks

    You don't need any terminators.
    However if it is just a passive splitter you should consider getting an
    active one instead as the passive splitters have an insertion loss and
    they are made to be driven by a cable amp.
    You don't need a diplexer for a combined antenna
    HTH

    shannon, Apr 12, 2005

  3. On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:23:34 +1200, SNOman <>
    wrote:

    >Sorry about cross posting this to nz.comp but figured I might get a
    >quicker answer.
    >
    >Install a new combined VHF/UHF tv antenna. It has a 75ohm connector and
    >have installed RG6 coax down to a 4 way f type splitter. House is on a
    >hill top in Albany (rural block) and has direct line of site to sky
    >tower but a behind a few pine trees for the Waitak transmitter.
    >
    >Couple of questions. 1) if not all outputs on the splitter are used do
    >you need to install a 75ohm terminator on the unused ones? if so where
    >do you get these (not listed on DSE or Jaycar). 2) as it's a combined
    >VHF/UHF antenna do I need a diplexer before the splitter?

    If (1) I think you can just use a plug with a 68 ohm resistor across
    the contacts
    (2) only if it has separate leads from the VHF and UHF parts of the
    antenna
    Most combined antennas have the diplexer built in and only one set of
    terminals

    FreedomChooser, Apr 12, 2005
  4. SNOman

    CSE Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:23:34 +1200, SNOman <> wrote:

    >Sorry about cross posting this to nz.comp but figured I might get a
    >quicker answer.
    >
    >Install a new combined VHF/UHF tv antenna. It has a 75ohm connector and
    >have installed RG6 coax down to a 4 way f type splitter. House is on a
    >hill top in Albany (rural block) and has direct line of site to sky
    >tower but a behind a few pine trees for the Waitak transmitter.
    >
    >Couple of questions. 1) if not all outputs on the splitter are used do
    >you need to install a 75ohm terminator on the unused ones? if so where
    >do you get these (not listed on DSE or Jaycar). 2) as it's a combined
    >VHF/UHF antenna do I need a diplexer before the splitter?
    >
    >Thanks

    You do need a Masthead Amp to cover the Cable and Splitter Lose.

    No unused ports do not need to be terminated..

    CSE, Apr 12, 2005
  5. SNOman

    Daver Guest

    You only need a masthead amp if you need one i.e. the picture looks bad.

    Daver, Apr 12, 2005
  6. SNOman

    CSE Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:44:31 +1200, "Daver" <> wrote:

    >You only need a masthead amp if you need one i.e. the picture looks bad.

    Bollocks, its there to recover the Cable lose and the Splitter lose..

    CSE, Apr 12, 2005
  7. On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:56:55 +1200, CSE <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:44:31 +1200, "Daver" <> wrote:
    >
    >>You only need a masthead amp if you need one i.e. the picture looks bad.
    >>>

    >Bollocks, its there to recover the Cable lose and the Splitter lose..

    The installation of a masthead amp precedes any splitter

    FreedomChooser, Apr 12, 2005
  8. SNOman

    Daver Guest

    Why recover loss if its not a problem?