    Is there a good tutorial on filters, when and how they should be used?

    Thanks for any help!

    jmc

    jmc, Feb 13, 2007

  2. jmc

    daba6 Guest

    One tutorial on filters is:
    http://www.weeno.com/art/0699/86.html about halfway down the
    page discusses Polarisers

    Can you be more specific about why you "weren't happy with the
    results" - too dark, too light, not enough of the expected polarising
    effect . . . ?

    You may have noticed that the effect of the polariser is largely
    dependent on the angle from which the light is coming in the scene.
    This is because polarisers work on the principle of cutting
    lightwaves which is 'phased' in some directions and transmits light
    which is phased in other directions.
    Very generally, the greatest effect of a polariser is when the light
    is shining from about 40 --- 90 degrees to the side of or above the
    camera-subject axis, and least effective when the light is directly in
    front or behind the subject.
    Also, the intensity of the light (i.e., soft, weak shadowless light or
    very strong, directional light with distinct shadows) can affect the
    polarising function.

    Also, when using the polariser it would be a good idea - for best
    image quality - to remove the UV filter (if you haven't already
    realised). Having more filters on your lens than absolutely necessary
    often doesn't produce the best quality images. And sometimes you may
    get an effect called 'vignetting' where you can actually see the rim
    of the filter intruding into the corners of the picture, leaving dark
    corners .

    daba6, Feb 13, 2007

  3. jmc wrote:
    > When I purchased my camera, I bought a UV Filter and a Circular
    > Polarizer filter for the lens.
    >
    > The UV filter stays on the lens full time.
    >
    > I tried to use the circular polarizer once, and wasn't happy with the
    > results. Clearly I don't understand when and how to use this filter.
    >
    > Is there a good tutorial on filters, when and how they should be used?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > jmc

    On most digital cameras a UV filter does not functional filtering as
    they don't see UV very well anyway. It does help keep smudgy fingerprints
    off the front of lens as well as sand water etc. They also have to be
    cleaned and they tend to cause more lens flare under some conditions and
    very slightly reduce the sharpness of the lens. Having been a photo
    retailer they also help the bottom line of the camera store and likely the
    salesman.

    Polarizers work by being turned to the "right" angle on the lens. There
    is no one right angle, but it changes with different situations. In many
    cases it does little or nothing. Under the right situation the difference
    is dramatic. You can see the effect by looking through the filter. If you
    have a SLR you will see it in the view finder if you have a range finder
    type camera you can see it on the LED display but not as clearly. You can
    also hold the filter in front of your eye while turning the lens to see the
    effect. You would then need to note the rotation of the lens and set it the
    same once you put the filter on the camera.

    Good Luck.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit

    Joseph Meehan, Feb 13, 2007
  4. jmc

    Roy G Guest

    "jmc" <> wrote in message
    > When I purchased my camera, I bought a UV Filter and a Circular Polarizer
    > filter for the lens.
    >
    > The UV filter stays on the lens full time.
    >
    > I tried to use the circular polarizer once, and wasn't happy with the
    > results. Clearly I don't understand when and how to use this filter.
    >
    > Is there a good tutorial on filters, when and how they should be used?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > jmc

    This is very typical techno jewellery.

    People who go out and buy things, before they know what those things do, or
    if their photography requires those things.

    Wait until you really need something, before you buy it.

    In the meantime keep taking lots of pictures and then looking at those
    pictures in order to work out how you could have made them better.

    When you start wanting those very dark blue skies in your pictures, then you
    will have discovered you need a Polariser.

    Roy G

    Roy G, Feb 13, 2007
  5. jmc

    JD Guest

    jmc wrote:
    > When I purchased my camera, I bought a UV Filter and a Circular
    > Polarizer filter for the lens.
    >
    > The UV filter stays on the lens full time.
    >
    > I tried to use the circular polarizer once, and wasn't happy with the
    > results. Clearly I don't understand when and how to use this filter.
    >
    > Is there a good tutorial on filters, when and how they should be used?
    >
    > Thanks for any help!
    >
    > jmc

    Check out Lee Frost's book on Filters.

    Here's an amazon link that will let you peruse the book a little:

    http://www.amazon.com/Photographers...ef=sr_1_1/104-9794127-6358345?ie=UTF8&s=books

    JD

    JD, Feb 14, 2007
  6. jmc

    jeremy Guest

    > jmc wrote:
    >>
    >> The UV filter stays on the lens full time.

    I hope he is not stacking the Polarizer on top of the UV filter!

    jeremy, Feb 14, 2007
  7. jmc

    bill Guest

    "Roy G" <> wrote in message

    > "jmc" <> wrote in message
    >> When I purchased my camera, I bought a UV Filter and a Circular Polarizer
    >> filter for the lens.
    >>
    >> The UV filter stays on the lens full time.
    >>
    >> I tried to use the circular polarizer once, and wasn't happy with the
    >> results. Clearly I don't understand when and how to use this filter.
    >>
    >> Is there a good tutorial on filters, when and how they should be used?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!
    >>
    >> jmc

    > This is very typical techno jewellery.
    >
    > People who go out and buy things, before they know what those things do,
    > or if their photography requires those things.
    >
    > Wait until you really need something, before you buy it.
    >
    > In the meantime keep taking lots of pictures and then looking at those
    > pictures in order to work out how you could have made them better.
    >
    > When you start wanting those very dark blue skies in your pictures, then
    > you will have discovered you need a Polariser.
    >
    > Roy G

    That's only a part of it ... be glad you bought a polorizer and look for
    books about using them ... try google. You will be very happy with the
    results
    Bill

    bill, Feb 14, 2007