    cheapy Chinese capacitors that failed, the computer is older than
    those.
    Is there anything I can do to avoid problems?

    Matty F, Sep 16, 2009

  2. Matty F

    Enkidu Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > I'd like to turn on a vintage PC. It's been off for some 10 years. I
    > keep forgetting to try it out. I've heard nasty stories about
    > electrolytic capacitors that don't work well if not used for very
    > long periods. No I'm not talking about the cheapy Chinese capacitors
    > that failed, the computer is older than those. Is there anything I
    > can do to avoid problems?

    Ob response: Install Linux! Hehehehehehe!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 16, 2009

  3. Matty F

    Rhino Guest

    On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:14:08 +1200, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >Matty F wrote:
    >> I'd like to turn on a vintage PC. It's been off for some 10 years. I
    >> keep forgetting to try it out. I've heard nasty stories about
    >> electrolytic capacitors that don't work well if not used for very
    >> long periods. No I'm not talking about the cheapy Chinese capacitors
    >> that failed, the computer is older than those. Is there anything I
    >> can do to avoid problems?
    >>

    >Ob response: Install Linux! Hehehehehehe!
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Come on Cliff,

    What you meant was the LDO response. :)

    Cheers, Rhino

    Rhino, Sep 16, 2009
  4. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Sep 16, 8:14 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Matty F wrote:
    > > I'd like to turn on a vintage PC. It's been off for some 10 years. I
    > > keep forgetting to try it out. I've heard nasty stories about
    > > electrolytic capacitors that don't work well if not used for very
    > > long periods. No I'm not talking about the cheapy Chinese capacitors
    > > that failed, the computer is older than those. Is there anything I
    > > can do to avoid problems?

    > Ob response: Install Linux! Hehehehehehe!

    The operating system on it pre-dates Linux and Windows.

    Matty F, Sep 16, 2009
  5. Matty F

    Carnations Guest

    On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 03:29:15 -0700, Matty F wrote:

    > On Sep 16, 8:14 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >> Matty F wrote:
    >> > I'd like to turn on a vintage PC. It's been off for some 10 years. I
    >> > keep forgetting to try it out. I've heard nasty stories about
    >> > electrolytic capacitors that don't work well if not used for very
    >> > long periods. No I'm not talking about the cheapy Chinese capacitors
    >> > that failed, the computer is older than those. Is there anything I
    >> > can do to avoid problems?

    >> Ob response: Install Linux! Hehehehehehe!

    > The operating system on it pre-dates Linux and Windows.

    Fortran? ;o)

    Carnations, Sep 16, 2009
  6. Matty F

    Enkidu Guest

    Carnations wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 03:29:15 -0700, Matty F wrote:

    >>> Ob response: Install Linux! Hehehehehehe!

    >> The operating system on it pre-dates Linux and Windows.

    > Fortran? ;o)

    Fortran is not an operating system, Lennier.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 16, 2009
  7. Matty F

    thingy Guest

    On Sep 16, 3:39 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    > I'd like to turn on a vintage PC. It's been off for some 10 years. I
    > keep forgetting to try it out.
    > I've heard nasty stories about electrolytic capacitors that don't work
    > well if not used for very long periods. No I'm not talking about the
    > cheapy Chinese capacitors that failed, the computer is older than
    > those.
    > Is there anything I can do to avoid problems?

    Yes, do it at someone else's house.

    ;]

    .....it could well take the fuse/circuit breaker with it so make sure
    you know where it is and have spare fuse wire....if the PSU blows it
    can be quite spectacular....like flames shoot out the back...but its
    pretty unlikely....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Sep 17, 2009
  8. ZOMG LINUX HAS BECOME SELF-MENTIONING! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

    In message <d3c95fce-cefa-4bb6-8e65-
    >, Matty F wrote:

    > The operating system on it pre-dates Linux and Windows.

    First version of Linux -- 1991.

    First version of Windows -- 1985.

    How old is this machine?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 17, 2009
  9. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    Re: ZOMG LINUX HAS BECOME SELF-MENTIONING! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!

    On Sep 17, 5:14 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <d3c95fce-cefa-4bb6-8e65-
    >
    > >, Matty F wrote:
    > > The operating system on it pre-dates Linux and Windows.

    > First version of Linux -- 1991.
    >
    > First version of Windows -- 1985.
    >
    > How old is this machine?

    It's an HP 286. The multiuser operating system on it was started in
    the 1970s.

    Matty F, Sep 17, 2009
  10. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Sep 17, 10:26 am, "PeeCee" <> wrote:

    > If the PC is valuable to you for some reason then take the power supply out
    > and run it up with an old motherboard & hard drive as loads.
    > Measure voltages, run for some time etc.

    Hmm I just gave away all my other old machines so have no
    motherboards.
    Is a load going to matter that much?

    Matty F, Sep 17, 2009
  11. Matty F

    Ron McNulty Guest

    On Sep 16, 3:39 pm, Matty F <> wrote:
    > I'd like to turn on a vintage PC. It's been off for some 10 years. I
    > keep forgetting to try it out.
    > I've heard nasty stories about electrolytic capacitors that don't work
    > well if not used for very long periods. No I'm not talking about the
    > cheapy Chinese capacitors that failed, the computer is older than
    > those.
    > Is there anything I can do to avoid problems?

    Prepare well. A six pack of Steinlager may be required to soothe the
    nerves. Whisky is better. Ear muffs, eye protectors and a codpiece are
    optional but recommended.

    Just apply power and stand clear. And observe:

    - A loud bang plus a small amount of green smoke indicates that an
    electrolytic has self-destructed. Often the machine will work fine
    once the smoke clears.

    - The hard disk will probably be frozen solid. Just unscrew the cover
    (ignore all the namby-pamby warnings) and give it a tweak with your
    finger. If that does not work, araldite a cotton reel to the spindle
    and wind a bit of string round it. Pretend it is a lawn mower, and
    pull the string... it actually worked for me once.

    - Large amounts of smoke accompanied by the house lights dimming are
    generally regarded as a problem. Contact your electricity company and
    ask if they can install an industrial quality connection.

    - Large amounts of smoke from the power supply indicate you have a
    faulty mouse. Dissassemble power supply and remove the fried rodent.

    - If it all works, try and find someone who remembers all that command-
    line rubbish. Lawrence can help.

    Whatever happens, it is likely to be more entertaining than this news
    group :)

    Regards

    Ron

    Ron McNulty, Sep 17, 2009
  12. Matty F

    Carnations Guest

    On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 09:13:58 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    >> Fortran? ;o)
    >>

    > Fortran is not an operating system, Lennier.

    You're right - it is a programming language.

    Carnations, Sep 18, 2009