turning off wireless network on the SIEMENS speedstreams 6520 aDSL modem/router

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by none, Feb 28, 2006.

  1. none

    none Guest

    Hi,
    I received a wireless aDSL modem/router SIEMENS speedstreams 6520
    from bell for my sympatico HSE. I use BELL's firmware (I don't remember
    which version). I do not need the wireless option so I choose NO I WILL
    CONFIGURE IT LATER in the wireless configuration dialog (in basic
    setup).

    At first I was not sure if the wireless network was disabled or
    simply not protected by encryption and configured completly. So I was a
    little concerned about the security. The wireless led is always off,
    and I wanted to know if the LED is supposed to be on only when someone
    is connected to the network or when it's configured correctly and up.
    So I configured the wireless network and the led was always on. So I
    thought that choosing the NO I WILL CONFIGURE IT LATER was what I
    should do to turn off the wireless network.

    I would just know if anyone knows this modem and if I'm doing the
    right thing to turn off the wireless network and be safe. I just want
    to be sure.

    Thanks
    none, Feb 28, 2006

  2. Hi
    I do not have your type of hardware so I do not know for sure.
    On most Wireless capable hardware the Led is On when the Wireless is On and
    it is flickering when there is actual Wireless traffic.
    You should try the Hardware's Support site, might be that there is an answer
    there.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 28, 2006

  3. none

    none Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > I do not have your type of hardware so I do not know for sure.
    > On most Wireless capable hardware the Led is On when the Wireless is On and
    > it is flickering when there is actual Wireless traffic.
    > You should try the Hardware's Support site, might be that there is an answer
    > there.

    Thanks

    There's nothing on siemens's site about this modem, since they
    only sell this product to ISPs. And the sympatico HSE kit doesn't
    come with a manual for this modem (except for a very simple
    setup instruction guide).

    Someone has a link to the manual in pdf for this device?
    none, Mar 1, 2006
  4. none

    none Guest

    Ok I finally found the manual on siemens site. In their firmware there
    an option to disable
    the wireless network. but my modem use sympatico's firmware and there's
    no disable
    option in it. Only the DO NOT CONFIGURE I WILL DO IT LATER option. So
    it's not
    really clear.

    In the manual here's what they say about the wireless led:
    On -> Wireless connection is active.
    Off -> No active wireless connection.

    I can't figure out if they mean that there's no computer connected or
    that the wireless
    interface is simply off.

    I don't like the sympatico firmware, but I don't know if I'm allowed to
    change the
    firmware to the original firmware. And anyway the firmware seems to be
    only
    available to ISPs, I can't find it anywhere.
    none, Mar 1, 2006
  5. none

    Lem Guest

    Re: turning off wireless network on the SIEMENS speedstreams 6520 aDSLmodem/router

    Look/ask here: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sympat
    Lem, Mar 1, 2006