    same????
    Once i empty the startup folder, where do i go to turn off stuff running in
    the background in xp. thanks mike
    mike, Jul 25, 2004

  2. mike

    °Mike° Guest

    Turn off the applications in their respective options/preferences.

    For Windows services, use:

    Start / Run / services.msc

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/index.php
    http://pestpatrol.com/Search/
    http://www.kephyr.com/filedb/index.php
    http://www.reger24.de/processes.php

    Services Guide for Windows XP
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    Windows XP Service Configurations
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

    Windows XP Strange Service Information
    http://www.blkviper.com/WinXP/strangeservice.htm

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 16:36:37 GMT, in
    <pkRMc.81643$>
    mike scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jul 25, 2004

  3. mike

    KungFusion Guest

    mike wrote:

    > Once i empty the startup folder, where do i go to turn off stuff running
    > in the background in xp. thanks mike

    There is a nice little freeware called "startup delayer"
    that shows you all the apps that open on startup and
    where they are launched from. Then you can either remove
    them from starting on startup or select how long to delay
    the startup(to reduce disk thrashing during bootup.)

    I forgot where I downloaded it. It may be on nonags
    (www.nonags.com/nonags) or just google for it.

    --

    "Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons."
    Woody Allen
    KungFusion, Jul 25, 2004
  4. mike

    JamesBenson Guest

    As far as I could see, mike's mum is his dad and vica versa, well I was
    stood next to them

    JamesBenson, Jul 29, 2004