Turner Classics going full screen ??!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Jay, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Odd thing happened tonight...flipping channels, turned on TCM and noticed a
    smug, self-congratulatory spot bragging how TCM is staying true showing
    movies completely uncut, uninterrupted, and so on...

    Some seemed odd about this (why claim the obvious ?), so I stuck around and
    sure enough they're showing Jeremiah Johnson in Pan&scan !

    So just the opposite is true -- they're NOT staying true to their original
    audience!

    In addition, the Fox Movie Channel is now Pan & Scanning their (widescreen)
    movies, too.


    I find this really disappointing and disturbing, fellas.

    Anyone else noticed?



    (also, the letterbox movie schedule web site is gone for good -- not too
    many people have commented on that, afaik)
    Jay, Apr 14, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Jay wrote:

    > (also, the letterbox movie schedule web site is gone for good -- not too
    > many people have commented on that, afaik)


    <http://www.tv-now.com/stars/lbox.htm> seems okay to me.

    --
    Evelyn C. Leeper
    http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper
    Separate is not equal. The right time to do the right thing
    is always now. Those who say "wait" usually mean "never."
    --Bonnie Tinker and The Rev. Cecil Prescod
    Evelyn C. Leeper, Apr 14, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jay

    jayembee Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote:

    >Odd thing happened tonight...flipping channels, turned on TCM and noticed a
    >smug, self-congratulatory spot bragging how TCM is staying true showing
    >movies completely uncut, uninterrupted, and so on...
    >
    >Some seemed odd about this (why claim the obvious ?), so I stuck around and
    >sure enough they're showing Jeremiah Johnson in Pan&scan !
    >
    >So just the opposite is true -- they're NOT staying true to their original
    >audience!


    While TCM does show most widescreen movies in letterbox format, they
    don't show *every* widescreen movie letterboxed. It largely depends on
    the transfer they get from the studio in question. If the studio
    doesn't supply them with a letterboxed copy, they can't air it
    letterboxed.

    On the other hand, TCM is has shown some films letterboxed that aren't
    available in that format on even DVD. Three films I can think of off
    the top of my head like that are THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS; YOURS, MINE
    AND OURS, and COWBOY.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Apr 14, 2004
    #3
  4. Jay

    Mutley Guest

    jayembee <> wrote:

    >"Jay" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Odd thing happened tonight...flipping channels, turned on TCM and noticed a
    >>smug, self-congratulatory spot bragging how TCM is staying true showing
    >>movies completely uncut, uninterrupted, and so on...
    >>
    >>Some seemed odd about this (why claim the obvious ?), so I stuck around and
    >>sure enough they're showing Jeremiah Johnson in Pan&scan !
    >>
    >>So just the opposite is true -- they're NOT staying true to their original
    >>audience!

    >
    >While TCM does show most widescreen movies in letterbox format, they
    >don't show *every* widescreen movie letterboxed. It largely depends on
    >the transfer they get from the studio in question. If the studio
    >doesn't supply them with a letterboxed copy, they can't air it
    >letterboxed.
    >
    >On the other hand, TCM is has shown some films letterboxed that aren't
    >available in that format on even DVD. Three films I can think of off
    >the top of my head like that are THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS; YOURS, MINE
    >AND OURS, and COWBOY.
    >
    >-- jayembee

    In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
    worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
    compared with us,,..
    Mutley, Apr 14, 2004
    #4
  5. Jay

    Baz Guest

    > In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
    > worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
    > compared with us,,..


    The Australian TCM is laughable.
    The movies look as though they've been filmed with a handheld video camera,
    at a drive-in theatre then compressed to Divx and then recompressed to
    MPEG-1.

    Pretty much unwatchable.
    Baz, Apr 14, 2004
    #5
  6. Jay

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
    > worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
    > compared with us,,..


    That wouldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that most of
    the movies TCM airs are pre-1950, would it? Most of those movies aren't
    supposed to be widescreen or stereo.
    Joshua Zyber, Apr 14, 2004
    #6
  7. Mutley wrote:
    >
    > In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
    > worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
    > compared with us,,..


    Well here, the majority of TCM is probably full-screen, but only because
    that's the original aspect ratio.

    --
    Evelyn C. Leeper
    http://www.geocities.com/evelynleeper
    Separate is not equal. The right time to do the right thing
    is always now. Those who say "wait" usually mean "never."
    --Bonnie Tinker and The Rev. Cecil Prescod
    Evelyn C. Leeper, Apr 14, 2004
    #7
  8. Jay

    Joseph Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:54:15 +1200, Mutley <>
    wrote:

    >In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
    >worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
    >compared with us,,..


    What country would that be?

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
    Joseph, Apr 14, 2004
    #8
  9. Months ago I noticed they were showing Ginger and Fred (the Fellini
    movie) in 4:3. Somebody suggested that mayhap that was the only
    transfer available. Maybe the same is true of Jeremiah Johnson. I
    wonder if Sydney Pollack will keep hosting The Essentials if he knew
    about this, seeing as how he's sued other networks for showing his
    movies in pan and scan.

    --
    "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl!"
    --Hilary Clinton

    Grand Inquisitor
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost
    Grand Inquisitor, Apr 14, 2004
    #9
  10. Jay

    jayembee Guest

    Grand Inquisitor <> wrote:

    >Months ago I noticed they were showing Ginger and Fred (the Fellini
    >movie) in 4:3. Somebody suggested that mayhap that was the only
    >transfer available. Maybe the same is true of Jeremiah Johnson.


    Doubtful, since there was a widescreen transfer done for the DVD.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Apr 14, 2004
    #10
  11. Jay

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, jayembee <> wrote:
    >"Jay" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Odd thing happened tonight...flipping channels, turned on TCM and noticed a
    >>smug, self-congratulatory spot bragging how TCM is staying true showing
    >>movies completely uncut, uninterrupted, and so on...
    >>
    >>Some seemed odd about this (why claim the obvious ?), so I stuck around and
    >>sure enough they're showing Jeremiah Johnson in Pan&scan !
    >>
    >>So just the opposite is true -- they're NOT staying true to their original
    >>audience!

    >
    >While TCM does show most widescreen movies in letterbox format, they
    >don't show *every* widescreen movie letterboxed. It largely depends on
    >the transfer they get from the studio in question. If the studio
    >doesn't supply them with a letterboxed copy, they can't air it
    >letterboxed.
    >
    >On the other hand, TCM is has shown some films letterboxed that aren't
    >available in that format on even DVD. Three films I can think of off
    >the top of my head like that are THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS; YOURS, MINE
    >AND OURS, and COWBOY.
    >
    >-- jayembee

    What i hate are when they show the Pan And Scan first, then they show the
    widescreen with that fuckin extra info crap beneath. i think its AMC that does
    that
    GMAN, Apr 14, 2004
    #11
  12. On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 04:13:41 GMT, jayembee
    <> wrote:

    >While TCM does show most widescreen movies in letterbox format, they
    >don't show *every* widescreen movie letterboxed. It largely depends on
    >the transfer they get from the studio in question. If the studio
    >doesn't supply them with a letterboxed copy, they can't air it
    >letterboxed.
    >
    >On the other hand, TCM is has shown some films letterboxed that aren't
    >available in that format on even DVD. Three films I can think of off
    >the top of my head like that are THE TROUBLE WITH ANGELS; YOURS, MINE
    >AND OURS, and COWBOY.


    "The Sting", which aired last night right before "Jeremiah Johnson" is
    another that they regularly show in widescreen, but is only available
    in P&S on DVD. "The Far Country" is another.

    It's pretty rare when TCM shows a pan & scan version of a widescreen
    film, but when it happens, as noted above, it's almost always a
    non-library title, and many times, future showings will fix that. "The
    China Syndrome" and "When Harry Met Sally" are a couple of movies they
    aired P&S the first time, and then widescreen thereafter.
    Tranquility Base, Apr 15, 2004
    #12
  13. Jay

    Mutley Guest

    Joseph <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 18:54:15 +1200, Mutley <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
    >>worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
    >>compared with us,,..

    >
    >What country would that be?
    >
    >- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply

    Australia/ New Zealand.
    Mutley, Apr 15, 2004
    #13
  14. Jay

    Mutley Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    >"Mutley" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> In the country where I live 99.9% of TCM is P&S and to make matters
    >> worse mono sound as well. You guys in the US get first rate TCM
    >> compared with us,,..

    >
    >That wouldn't possibly have anything to do with the fact that most of
    >the movies TCM airs are pre-1950, would it? Most of those movies aren't
    >supposed to be widescreen or stereo.
    >

    Well over the past few months, 2001 was in WS and mono, Ben Hur P&S
    mono, How the west was won P&S mono. There are plenty moth from the
    wide screen and stereo era shown..
    Mutley, Apr 15, 2004
    #14
  15. Jay

    jayembee Guest

    Tranquility Base <> wrote:

    > It's pretty rare when TCM shows a pan & scan version of
    > a widescreen film, but when it happens, as noted above,
    > it's almost always a non-library title, and many times,
    > future showings will fix that. "The China Syndrome" and
    > "When Harry Met Sally" are a couple of movies they aired
    > P&S the first time, and then widescreen thereafter.


    Yeah, I was pleased that a few weeks ago they finally got
    a letterboxed print of Bud Boetticher's COMANCHE STATION,
    after showing a p&s print for the last couple of years.
    Makes me wonder if Columbia's going to release it on DVD
    in the foreseeable future (though I haven't heard anything
    about such).

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Apr 15, 2004
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Bigus Di©kus

    [OT] Sunday Classics

    Bigus Di©kus, Mar 13, 2006, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    496
    Bigus Di©kus
    Mar 14, 2006
  2. Gazza

    Re: Norm Classics Volume II.

    Gazza, Jun 23, 2003, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,331
    Gazza
    Jun 23, 2003
  3. Replies:
    15
    Views:
    1,546
    Guest
    Oct 19, 2005
  4. kaboom
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    657
    Derek Janssen
    Oct 28, 2005
  5. bugsy

    laptop only 1/4 screen but on full screen

    bugsy, Apr 1, 2008, in forum: General Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,321
    bugsy
    Apr 1, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page