    convince her that it's not harmful. A wired only router seems less
    versatile and provide less options.

    David A.
    David Azose, Oct 13, 2008

  2. I don't think you can do that natively. Its possible you could either turn
    off the radio or at the very least turn down the transmit power if your
    version of the WRT54G is supported by using third-party firmware like
    DD-WRT.

    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT?#Features

    http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Oct 13, 2008

  3. David Azose

    Lem Guest

    David Azose wrote:
    > Can the wireless radio be turned off in a Linksys WRT54G router? I have
    > a relative is is concerned about RF radiation (she is a cancer survivor
    > and I can't convince her otherwise), and I'm trying to get her to buy a
    > wireless router just in case she finds evidence in the future that will
    > convince her that it's not harmful. A wired only router seems less
    > versatile and provide less options.
    >
    > David A.

    Access the router's configuration utility and go to Wireless > Basic
    Wireless Settings. In the drop-down box for "Wireless Network Mode,"
    select "Disabled."

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Oct 13, 2008
  4. Hi
    To avoid psychological impact I would buy another model of a Router that has
    an inside Antennae, and its color is simple Beige like.
    The Deep Blue color of the Linksys with the two big Antenna is an
    intimidation to people with such concerns.
    P.S. I am not joking it really make a difference in a mind of concerning
    people.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 14, 2008
  5. David Azose

    David Azose Guest

    Lem wrote:
    > David Azose wrote:
    >> Can the wireless radio be turned off in a Linksys WRT54G router? I
    >> have a relative is is concerned about RF radiation (she is a cancer
    >> survivor and I can't convince her otherwise), and I'm trying to get
    >> her to buy a wireless router just in case she finds evidence in the
    >> future that will convince her that it's not harmful. A wired only
    >> router seems less versatile and provide less options.
    >>
    >> David A.

    > Access the router's configuration utility and go to Wireless > Basic
    > Wireless Settings. In the drop-down box for "Wireless Network Mode,"
    > select "Disabled."

    Lem,

    Perfect. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. I think I too
    will find it useful when I go on an extended vacation.

    David A.
    David Azose, Oct 14, 2008
  6. David Azose

    David Azose Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > To avoid psychological impact I would buy another model of a Router that
    > has an inside Antennae, and its color is simple Beige like.
    > The Deep Blue color of the Linksys with the two big Antenna is an
    > intimidation to people with such concerns.
    > P.S. I am not joking it really make a difference in a mind of concerning
    > people.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > "David Azose" <> wrote in message
    >> Can the wireless radio be turned off in a Linksys WRT54G router? I
    >> have a relative is is concerned about RF radiation (she is a cancer
    >> survivor and I can't convince her otherwise), and I'm trying to get
    >> her to buy a wireless router just in case she finds evidence in the
    >> future that will convince her that it's not harmful. A wired only
    >> router seems less versatile and provide less options.
    >>
    >> David A.

    Jack,

    Someone else in this usergroup pointed out that there is a setting to
    "Disable" the wireless radio in the setup of the Router. She can do that
    and simply unscrew the antennas as well. Thanks for your reply.

    David A.
    David Azose, Oct 14, 2008
  7. David Azose

    David B. Guest

    You sound a tad confused, the OP wants to turn off wireless, you say you
    don't think it can be done, then you say he could turn of the radio??

    --

    ----
    Help Us Help You http://dts-l.net/goodpost.htm

    David B., Oct 14, 2008
  8. No, I was not confused but did not realize the native WRT54G firmware
    allowed the user to disable (ie. turn off the radio). Given that I noted
    using the third-party DD-WRT firmware would at least let him turn the radio
    transmit level down to 0 (ie. zero) as a work around.

    Sooner Al [MVP], Oct 14, 2008
  9. David Azose

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 14, 12:51 pm, David Azose <> wrote:
    > Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > To avoid psychological impact I would buy another model of a Router that
    > > has an inside Antennae, and its color is simple Beige like.
    > > The Deep Blue color of the Linksys with the two big Antenna is an
    > > intimidation to  people with such concerns.
    > > P.S. I am not joking it really make a difference in a mind of concerning
    > > people.
    > > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    > > "David Azose" <> wrote in message
    > >> Can the wireless radio be turned off in a Linksys WRT54G router? I
    > >> have a relative is is concerned about RF radiation (she is a cancer
    > >> survivor and I can't convince her otherwise), and I'm trying to get
    > >> her to buy a wireless router just in case she finds evidence in the
    > >> future that will convince her that it's not harmful. A wired only
    > >> router seems less versatile and provide less options.

    > >> David A.

    > Jack,
    >
    > Someone else in this usergroup pointed out that there is a setting to
    > "Disable" the wireless radio in the setup of the Router. She can do that
    > and simply unscrew the antennas as well. Thanks for your reply.
    >
    > David A.

    Why buy a wireless router when the "radio" will be turned off? Wired
    routers are still available. Also, buying a WRT54G will only do 11g
    networks, at maximum. With the 11n (Draft2) that will be "certified"
    some time, the 11g networks will be old technology.

    As for fears of RF radiation, computer monitors, TVs, cordless / cell
    phones and other devices seem to emit more radiation than the wireless
    routers.
    smlunatick, Oct 14, 2008
  10. David Azose

    David Azose Guest

    smlunatick wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 12:51 pm, David Azose <> wrote:
    >> Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>> To avoid psychological impact I would buy another model of a Router that
    >>> has an inside Antennae, and its color is simple Beige like.
    >>> The Deep Blue color of the Linksys with the two big Antenna is an
    >>> intimidation to people with such concerns.
    >>> P.S. I am not joking it really make a difference in a mind of concerning
    >>> people.
    >>> Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >>> "David Azose" <> wrote in message

    >> Jack,
    >>
    >> Someone else in this usergroup pointed out that there is a setting to
    >> "Disable" the wireless radio in the setup of the Router. She can do that
    >> and simply unscrew the antennas as well. Thanks for your reply.
    >>
    >> David A.

    > Why buy a wireless router when the "radio" will be turned off? Wired
    > routers are still available. Also, buying a WRT54G will only do 11g
    > networks, at maximum. With the 11n (Draft2) that will be "certified"
    > some time, the 11g networks will be old technology.
    >
    > As for fears of RF radiation, computer monitors, TVs, cordless / cell
    > phones and other devices seem to emit more radiation than the wireless
    > routers.

    I am hoping that at some point she would be convinced of your good
    points about RF radiation and if she had just a wired router, she would
    have to junk that and buy a wireless router to take advantage of the
    wireless features of home networking. Your point about the 11n standard
    is well taken, though she is on a fairly tight budget at the moment.

    David A.
    David Azose, Oct 14, 2008
  11. David Azose

    Phil Guest

    I am writing this letter to ALL Wireless Router manufacturers.
    I have a Linksys Wireless Router Model:BEFW11S4. It is 7 years (yes, count
    them, all of seven little years) old. I have visited the Linksys website
    numerous times trying to set up the WEP/WPA security on that wireless router
    (as all responsible wireless router owners should!). I found that there are
    no links to any wireless router setting websites that are congruent with the
    screen shots from Linksys' own self help technical support site. I have had
    to call Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold
    for lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over ....
    how sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay $40.00
    for the technical support to do the right thing that I want and need to do.
    First, the device works fine (as evidenced by this e-mail that you have
    just received)!
    Second, why should I have to pay for doing the right thing?
    Third, if I am going to be EXTORTED into buying a new wireless router so
    that I can do the right thing and set up an encryption key for a secure
    network, what on Gods' Green Earth makes anyone think that I would CHOOSE to
    buy another Linksys product when ALL that I have ever received from them is a
    functional wireless router (yes, even after seven whole years) and the
    crappiest Customer Service/Technical Support I have ever had the displeasure
    to encounter!
    I shall copy this letter and try to find as many Chat Rooms as possible in
    order to spread the word of ALL that I have gone through with the Chain of
    Command at the Linksys phone center, well above and beyond what any
    reasonable person should expect to go through, and still have NO RELIEF
    concerning my singular issue with their product and its capabilities that I
    SHOULD be able to enjoy as the owner of said product! What has happend to
    "The Customer Is Always Right" Customer Service mantra (I can't say "In
    America" because the call was handled in India)? Is the Customer, the ones
    that makes the company what it is through the purchase of products, so
    worthless to the company that they can just be treated with abject contempt
    and scorn? Is the Customer to thus be trampled underfoot? Are we paying to
    be so abused? I, for one (yes, one, the beginning of all), shall NOT be
    treated in such manner, and CERTAINLY shall NOT PAY to be treated as such!
    In this world of expanding technologies, it shall be those with the
    GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    this desire true!

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008
  12. David Azose

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008
  13. David Azose

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008
  14. David Azose

    Phil, Oct 18, 2008
  15. David Azose

    smlunatick Guest

    On Oct 18, 2:50 am, Phil <> wrote:
> [...]
    > GREATEST Customer Appeal that shall continue to be found worthwile in the
    > publics' eyes (and pocketbooks) and shall grow to meet the demands of a
    > growing world - ESPECIALLY in the Electronics Department!
    >  It is now my strongest desire that the Linksys Corporation suffers
    > irreparable damage and goes out of business for their Crappy Customer
    > Service! I can only hope that I reach enough people around the world to bring
    > this desire true!
    >
    > "David Azose" wrote:
    > > Can the wireless radio be turned off in a Linksys WRT54G router? I have
    > > a relative is is concerned about RF radiation (she is a cancer survivor
    > > and I can't convince her otherwise), and I'm trying to get her to buy a
    > > wireless router just in case she finds evidence in the future that will
    > > convince her that it's not harmful. A wired only router seems less

    You should not repeat the post to often.

    Why rant? The makers of routers are private companies / corporations
    who are are to make a profit. How can you expect them to constantly
    support their older products with the latest advancements to the
    networking, be it wireless or wired. As far I am concerned, a Linksys
    BEFW11S4 is a low-end "home" grade router. Depending on the internal
    firmware "memory," as far as we know, there might not be enough room
    to receive the official Linksys updates. Also, several additional
    electronic components might need to be updated, which is not usually
    possible. Most internal circuits are "hard soldered" onto the main
    board.
    smlunatick, Oct 20, 2008
  16. David Azose

    Pavel A. Guest

    "smlunatick" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > wireless router just in case she finds evidence in the future that will
    >> > convince her that it's not harmful. A wired only router seems less
    >> > versatile and provide less options.

    >> > David A.

    > You should not repeat the post to often.
    >
    > Why rant? The makers of routers are private companies / corporations
    > who are are to make a profit. How can you expect them to constantly
    > support their older products with the latest advancements to the
    > networking, be it wireless or wired. As far I am concerned, a Linksys
    > BEFW11S4 is a low-end "home" grade router. Depending on the internal
    > firmware "memory," as far as we know, there might not be enough room
    > to receive the official Linksys updates. Also, several additional
    > electronic components might need to be updated, which is not usually
    > possible. Most internal circuits are "hard soldered" onto the main

    well... Maybe, customer is always right - but only up to the
    amount of money he pays.
    And the customer also wants the hardware (and support ) to be dirt cheap...

    --PA
    Pavel A., Oct 24, 2008
  17. David Azose

    Pavel A. Guest

    > Can the wireless radio be turned off in a Linksys WRT54G router? I have a
    > relative is is concerned about RF radiation (she is a cancer survivor and
    > I can't convince her otherwise), and I'm trying to get her to buy a
    > wireless router just in case she finds evidence in the future that will
    > convince her that it's not harmful. A wired only router seems less
    > versatile and provide less options.
    >
    > David A.

    Maybe, the Powerline ethernet is a more attractive option for your relative.
    I use it and am quite happy (knocking on wood).

    --PA
    Pavel A., Oct 24, 2008
  18. David Azose

    Phil Guest

    Well, Thank You Pavel A. for calling me "Cheap"! I really do appreciate
    your personal compassion on the subject. As if one could not actually read
    my comments, please refer to the line about "First, the device works fine (as
    evidenced by this e-mail that you have just received)!" As far as "Low-End",
    well, Thank Ypou Pavel A. for the Smear! :) I really love being smeared
    (especially when I am in the right)! It makes me feel sooooooo good! And,
    once again, as far as "as far as we know, there might not be enough room to
    receive the official Linksys updates. Also, several additional electronic
    components might need to be updated," such is not the case in this
    particular situation! Please refer to the line about " I have had to call
    Linksys several times to resolve this issue only to be placed on hold for
    lengthy times (sometimes my call was dropped and I had to start over .... how
    sad for such a large company to have such poorly trained phone
    receptionists!), then be transferred (see previous comment about the phone
    receptionists) to a supposed supervisor, only to finally be transferred to
    someone who tells me that the warranty has expired and wants me to pay
    $40.00". Yes, during the phone conversations I was actually TOLD that the
    issue could be resolved, but only through my voluntary payment of the
    EXTORTION fee! Thank you Pavel A. for having understood the phone
    conversation that I had with Linksys so very well that you could make such an
    obviously uninformed statement about the harware and software (which,
    actually, WAS covered in my "rant") which the receptionists had already
    CONFIRMED was readily feasible. Last but not least, as far as " well...
    Maybe, customer is always right - but only up to the amount of money he
    pays. And the customer also wants the hardware (and support ) to be dirt
    cheap...", I do believe that you get what you pay for. I PAID for the
    Wireless Router that has WEP/WPA Security Settings. My only complaint is
    that the company REFUSED to assist me (A Paying Customer!) when I only sought
    to do the RIGHT thing and utilize the functions that were built into the
    product that I purchased! So, Once Again, Thank YOU Pavel A. for calling me
    "Cheap" for trying to exercise my American Right in Capitalism to simply get
    ALL that I had already paid for, without having to be EXTORTED into getting
    what should be mine for HAVING already paid for the device!
    "I would like to say "Thank you " on behalf of the band, and I hope we
    passed the audition!" John Lennon from the last live perfpormance of The
    Beatles with Billy Preston as guest on the piano from the song "Get Back".

    Phil, Nov 12, 2008
  19. David Azose

    Pavel A. Guest

    You're welcome, Phil!
    (and by the way, I wrote not just "cheap", but "dirt cheap")

    -- pa

    Pavel A., Nov 12, 2008