    Any idea how to turn off Windows Genuine Advantage, and, or remove
    Windows Genuine Advantage?
    Thanks.
    PeterInMN, Jun 14, 2006

  2. PeterInMN

    mdp Guest

    mdp, Jun 14, 2006

  3. PeterInMN

    Dan Evans Guest

    "PeterInMN" <> wrote in message
    news:kYLjg.3394$...
    > Hello.
    > Any idea how to turn off Windows Genuine Advantage, and, or remove Windows
    > Genuine Advantage?

    Nope, but it refuses to install on my lapdog - which I have to say I find
    amusing.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 14, 2006
  4. Dan Evans wrote:
    > "PeterInMN" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello.
    >>Any idea how to turn off Windows Genuine Advantage, and, or remove Windows
    >>Genuine Advantage?

    > Nope, but it refuses to install on my lapdog - which I have to say I find
    > amusing.

    Err... refusing to install on your lapdog? Have you tried Genuine Poodle
    Advantage? How bout Taco Bell Confirmation?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 14, 2006
  5. PeterInMN

    Sylvia M Guest

    "PeterInMN" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    > Any idea how to turn off Windows Genuine Advantage, and, or remove Windows
    > Genuine Advantage?
    > Thanks.

    I may be wrong, but I went to Search, put in Genuine Advantage,
    one file came up, I opened it and highlighted then deleted the
    rectangles=text,
    then deleted the folder.
    When I checked my Recycle Bin, there it was, do I emptied it.

    The only other way is to create a folder and rename it WGA.
    Deleting it doesn't do anything, but feels good ;-)
    Sylvia M, Jun 14, 2006
  6. PeterInMN

    Scoflex Guest

    PeterInMN wrote:
    > Hello.
    > Any idea how to turn off Windows Genuine Advantage, and, or remove
    > Windows Genuine Advantage?
    > Thanks.

    I have to laugh because I should have asked that same question. For a
    while, everytime I started my computer and the desktop appeared I got a
    warning from Microsoft saying my XP Professional was counterfeit and
    that I may have been a victim of criminal activity. Then it would say
    get Windows Genuine Advantage.
    I got rid of it by accident. I was trying to use a program called
    "True Crypt" which is supposed to encrypt your hard drive so the
    authorities can't spy on you. I don't have anything to hide but I
    figured why not transfer everything on my hard drive to this
    application. Insted of encrypting it wiped my hard drive out, and
    crashed my system. I had to reinstall my XP Pro which reformatted the
    hard drive. When XP Pro restarted the annoying notice from Windows
    Genuine Advantage was gone.
    Scoflex, Jun 14, 2006
  7. PeterInMN

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Scoflex" <> wrote in message

    > I had to reinstall my XP Pro which reformatted the
    > hard drive. When XP Pro restarted the annoying notice from Windows
    > Genuine Advantage was gone.

    You wouldn't put that down to the WGA tool not being installed on your
    system anymore then?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 14, 2006
  8. PeterInMN

    PeterInMN Guest

    PeterInMN, Jun 14, 2006
  9. PeterInMN

    Guest

    "Scoflex" <> wrote:

    |>PeterInMN wrote:
    |>> Hello.
    |>> Any idea how to turn off Windows Genuine Advantage, and, or remove
    |>> Windows Genuine Advantage?
    |>> Thanks.

    |>I have to laugh because I should have asked that same question. For a
    |>while, everytime I started my computer and the desktop appeared I got a
    |>warning from Microsoft saying my XP Professional was counterfeit and
    |>that I may have been a victim of criminal activity. Then it would say
    |>get Windows Genuine Advantage.
    |>I got rid of it by accident. I was trying to use a program called
    |>"True Crypt" which is supposed to encrypt your hard drive so the
    |>authorities can't spy on you. I don't have anything to hide but I
    |>figured why not transfer everything on my hard drive to this
    |>application. Insted of encrypting it wiped my hard drive out, and
    |>crashed my system. I had to reinstall my XP Pro which reformatted the
    |>hard drive. When XP Pro restarted the annoying notice from Windows
    |>Genuine Advantage was gone.

    That's one way to get rid of it, but your going to get it again thru
    the updates.

    Start | Run <type in> services.msc <enter>
    and disable automatic updates

    I have it disabled; as most upgrades are for IE and OE which I don't
    use. I'm always reading of people having problems after an upgrade but
    nothing like this WGA - disabling AU has really paid off this time.

    --
    Lyrebird Unbeleivable Jungle Bird Mimics Bird and Human Sounds
    , Jun 14, 2006
  10. PeterInMN

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:15:46 -0700, Pennywise wrote:

    > |>I have to laugh because I should have asked that same question. For a
    > |>while, everytime I started my computer and the desktop appeared I got a
    > |>warning from Microsoft saying my XP Professional was counterfeit and
    > |>that I may have been a victim of criminal activity. Then it would say
    > |>get Windows Genuine Advantage.
    > |>I got rid of it by accident. I was trying to use a program called "True
    > |>Crypt" which is supposed to encrypt your hard drive so the authorities
    > |>can't spy on you. I don't have anything to hide but I figured why not
    > |>transfer everything on my hard drive to this application. Insted of
    > |>encrypting it wiped my hard drive out, and crashed my system. I had to
    > |>reinstall my XP Pro which reformatted the hard drive. When XP Pro
    > |>restarted the annoying notice from Windows Genuine Advantage was gone.
    >
    > That's one way to get rid of it, but your going to get it again thru the
    > updates.
    >
    > Start | Run <type in> services.msc <enter> and disable automatic updates
    >
    > I have it disabled; as most upgrades are for IE and OE which I don't use.
    > I'm always reading of people having problems after an upgrade but nothing
    > like this WGA - disabling AU has really paid off this time.

    If you feel compelled to update, at least do a custom update and be very
    selective as to what you choose.

    Meat Plow, Jun 14, 2006
  11. PeterInMN

    Vanguard Guest

    "PeterInMN" <> wrote in message
    > Hello.
    > Any idea how to turn off Windows Genuine Advantage, and, or remove
    > Windows Genuine Advantage?

    For Microsoft's view on the topic, see:

    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en#Question6Label

    To disable or block it after installed, read:

    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/...s-genuine-advantage-notifications-nag-screen/
    (short URL = http://snipurl.com/xpnag)

    Personally, I use DiamondCS ProcessGuard to regulate what can load into
    memory (programs can only run if they get into memory), and I have it
    block wgatray.exe. It attempts to load twice on Windows startup (as
    noted when I configure it to prompt rather than just block it
    automatically). The ActiveX control used by the Windows Update site
    doesn't use it so you can still authenticate your Windows at that time
    to get updates.
    Vanguard, Jun 14, 2006
  12. PeterInMN

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 04:07:44 GMT, PeterInMN <> wrote:

    >Hello.
    >Any idea how to turn off Windows Genuine Advantage, and, or remove
    >Windows Genuine Advantage?

    Use a CD key from a warez site.

    >Thanks.

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Jun 15, 2006
  13. PeterInMN

    Vanguard Guest

    "Barry OGrady" wrote ...
    > PeterInMN wrote:
    >
    >>Any idea how to turn off Windows Genuine Advantage, and, or remove
    >>Windows Genuine Advantage?

    > Use a CD key from a warez site.

    Eager to exhibit your ignorance, aren't you. The product key has
    nothing to do with WGA getting installed as part of the Windows Updates.
    Even those using legitimate products keys are getting stuck with WGA
    getting installed, calling home, and sometimes generating false alerts
    (which is MORE likely with some stolen key).
    Vanguard, Jun 15, 2006
  14. PeterInMN

    tutsi Guest

    On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:00:52 GMT, PeterInMN <> wrote:

    This dont work any mone, when i click windows genuine the
    enable/disable greys out.

    tutsi, Jun 16, 2006
  15. PeterInMN

    ellis_jay Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "Barry OGrady" wrote ...
    >> PeterInMN wrote:
    >>
    >>> Any idea how to turn off Windows Genuine Advantage, and, or remove
    >>> Windows Genuine Advantage?

    >> Use a CD key from a warez site.

    > Eager to exhibit your ignorance, aren't you. The product key has
    > nothing to do with WGA getting installed as part of the Windows
    > Updates. Even those using legitimate products keys are getting stuck
    > with WGA getting installed, calling home, and sometimes generating
    > false alerts (which is MORE likely with some stolen key).

    Spyware is in the eye of the beholder....

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1974864,00.asp

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Jun 17, 2006
  16. PeterInMN

    Vanguard Guest

    "ellis_jay" wrote in message
    > Vanguard wrote:

    >>> Use a CD key from a warez site.

    >> The product key has nothing to do with WGA getting installed ...
    >> . Even those using legitimate products keys are getting stuck
    >> with WGA getting installed ...

    > Spyware is in the eye of the beholder....

    You just don't get it. Using a warez product key will NOT prevent WGA
    from getting installed. Using a warez product key will not prevent WGA
    from phoning home. Using a warez product doesn't prevent WGA from
    from getting installed or from WGA checking the OS and also phoning
    home. Your "suggestion" doesn't address the WGA problem at all.
    Vanguard, Jun 17, 2006
  17. PeterInMN

    Vanguard Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "ellis_jay" wrote in message
    >> Vanguard wrote:
    >>> "Barry OGrady" wrote ...

    >>> The product key has nothing to do with WGA getting installed ...
    >>> . Even those using legitimate products keys are getting stuck
    >>> with WGA getting installed ...

    >> Spyware is in the eye of the beholder....

    > You just don't get it. Using a warez product key will NOT prevent WGA
    > from getting installed. Using a warez product key will not prevent
    > WGA from phoning home. Using a warez product doesn't prevent WGA from
    > WGA from getting installed or from WGA checking the OS and also
    > phoning home. Your "suggestion" doesn't address the WGA problem at
    > all.

    Oops, thought it was Barry responding to my reply.
    Vanguard, Jun 17, 2006
  18. PeterInMN

    ellis_jay Guest

    Vanguard wrote:
    > "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >> "ellis_jay" wrote in message

    >>> Spyware is in the eye of the beholder....

    >> You just don't get it. Using a warez product key will NOT prevent
    >> WGA from getting installed. Using a warez product key will not
    >> prevent WGA from phoning home. Using a warez product doesn't
    >> prevent WGA from loading on Windows startup. Your suggestion does
    >> nothing to prevent WGA from getting installed or from WGA checking
    >> the OS and also phoning home. Your "suggestion" doesn't address the
    >> WGA problem at all.
    >>

    > Oops, thought it was Barry responding to my reply.

    I was wondering when I came across this post. Not to worry. The "...eye of
    the beholder" remark was from the link

    ellis_jay, Jun 17, 2006