    properties or in windows XP?

    Thanks Tons
    James

    James, Mar 2, 2007

  2. Hi
    Using Win XP Wireless Zero Configuration you need the SSID to Broadcast.
    In addition there is No real reason to switch Off Broadcasting the SSID.
    http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 2, 2007

  3. James

    James Guest

    I dissagree. Turning off the ssid broadcast is just one more
    excellent security measure that prevents nosy neighbors and wardrivers
    from even seeing the presence of a wireless network in the
    first place, since it is continually advertising.

    too bad wireless zero requires it.
    someone at Microsoft ought to think about that,
    because I know for a fact that it is possible
    to connnect without it (as long as nothing changes) under win2k,

    which was a plus.

    thanks Jack.

    James

    James, Mar 2, 2007
  4. Hi James,
    I agree with Jack on this that turning the SSID Broadcast ON or OFF doesn't
    make you secure or Less secure.
    Which make you secure or less secure is the Safe hex and the encryption
    method you are using on your Wireless network.
    Stronger Encryption Key can't be guessed the more secure your network from
    been broken into. It does not mean you will mention your name in an open
    space the crowds will not notice you!.

    Are you using an Encryption method to protect your connection?.
    And do you use the wireless Management Utility from the Manufacturer of the
    wireless Card or windows Wireless Management Utility (WZC), I know you are
    talking about Windows wireless Utility but did you install your wireless card
    manufacturer Software to manage your wireless?.
    HTH.
    Let us know.
    nass
    -----
    www.nasstec.co.uk

    =?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=, Mar 2, 2007
  5. James

    Lem Guest

    WZC doesn't absolutely, positively, "require" broadcast SSID, but doing
    so avoids problems, for example, disconnecting from the "hidden" network
    to connect to a less-preferred network that is not "hidden." And yes,
    it is certainly possible to setup a WinXP wireless client to connect to
    a network with a non-broadcast SSID.

    Read the MS TechNet article that is linked at the page to which Jack
    cited for a description of why "turning off the ssid broadcast" is NOT
    "an excellent security measure" and why the presence of the network is
    still continuously advertised (by the client, not the AP).

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Mar 2, 2007
  6. James

    Someone Guest

    If you apply the following 2 updates to XP SP2 then there is then an option
    in the GUI to 'connect even if SSID is not broadcast'

    KB893357 -
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4D-E7C1-48D6-95EE-1459234F4483&displaylang=en
    KB917021 -
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=2726F32F-D52B-4F84-ACE8-F7FC20195769

    Not broadcasting the SSID is NOT a real security measure though....

    HTH
    Andy

    Someone, Mar 2, 2007
  7. James

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, =?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?= <> wrote:
    >Hi James,
    >I agree with Jack on this that turning the SSID Broadcast ON or OFF doesn't
    >make you secure or Less secure.
    >Which make you secure or less secure is the Safe hex and the encryption
    >method you are using on your Wireless network.
    >Stronger Encryption Key can't be guessed the more secure your network from
    >been broken into. It does not mean you will mention your name in an open
    >space the crowds will not notice you!.

    But if they dont even see you are there, they wont try to hack into you. There
    is no real reason SSID Boradcast needs to be on period. Comeon microsoft!!!
    Damnit!

    GMAN, Mar 2, 2007
  8. GMAN wrote:

    > But if they dont even see you are there, they wont try to hack into
    > you. There
    > is no real reason SSID Boradcast needs to be on period.

    -------------
    There are programs, which will show you the SSID, even if it's not
    broadcast.
    Don't rely on the hackers not to see you.

    WPA and later [WPA2 etc] and a long, random, mixed security string is your
    best method of protection.

    Emma Freezing, Mar 2, 2007
  9. "GMAN" wrote:

    > In article <>, =?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?= <> wrote:
    > >Hi James,
    > >I agree with Jack on this that turning the SSID Broadcast ON or OFF doesn't
    > >make you secure or Less secure.
    > >Which make you secure or less secure is the Safe hex and the encryption
    > >method you are using on your Wireless network.
    > >Stronger Encryption Key can't be guessed the more secure your network from
    > >been broken into. It does not mean you will mention your name in an open
    > >space the crowds will not notice you!.
    > >

    > But if they dont even see you are there, they wont try to hack into you. There
    > is no real reason SSID Boradcast needs to be on period. Comeon microsoft!!!
    > Damnit!

    Believe me if a hacker with a good range Antenna and good Software not just
    discover your SSID but can Crack your Encryption in a matter of minute but
    after dropping a packet to open a port to have access to your Network (War
    drive) and you will never know he/she have been there unless by any chance
    or security software discovered a hole in your security.
    SSID does nothing to secure you in either Broadcasted or not Broadcasted,
    the only security is the Encryption method you are implementing in your
    network.

    =?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=, Mar 2, 2007
  10. GMAN <> wrote:

    <snip>

    > But if they dont even see you are there, they wont try to hack into you. There
    > is no real reason SSID Boradcast needs to be on period. Comeon microsoft!!!
    > Damnit!

    Whenever at station (a pc with a wireless card) - like the owner who
    knows the SSID - associates with (connects to) the access point, the
    SSID is broadcast in the clear and will be discovered.

    There is no secuirity what so ever in not broadcasting SSID. And not
    broadcasting can very well lead to unnecessary wireless network clouding
    on default channels.

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Mar 3, 2007
  11. James

    Peabody Guest

    In article <1huekro.9rc9tu1pxro7kN%>,
    says...

    > There is no secuirity what so ever in not broadcasting
    > SSID. And not broadcasting can very well lead to
    > unnecessary wireless network clouding on default
    > channels.

    Exactly. I make a point of broadcasting my SSID. I want
    everyone else in the neighborhood to know I'm here on
    channel 11. Hopefully that will encourage them to use
    another channel.

    Turning off broadcasting will help prevent your neighbor
    from inadvertently hooking up to your network, but only if
    your router is running wide open, which it shouldn't be.

    Peabody, Mar 4, 2007
  12. James

    sridhar Guest

    Wireless connection over linksys

    Listen Guys,

    You can enable SSID, so that it becomes easy to detect ur laptop while installing,then encrypyt 64k wep and generate a key with any word of urs.copy and paste the key in ur laptop then the conenction opens.
    Then map ur mac address inside the access point.hardcoded i mean. then remove the ssid broadcast.Simple.
    In linksys these settings are available,.

    Thanks.

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    sridhar, Mar 15, 2007
  13. James

    Joan Archer Guest

    Re: Wireless connection over linksys

    Who are the guys you want to listen to you ? You have not included any of
    the post you are replying to so no one knows what you are talking about.
    Joan

    Joan Archer, Mar 15, 2007
  14. Re: Wireless connection over linksys

    Joan Archer <> wrote:

    > Who are the guys you want to listen to you ? You have not included any of
    > the post you are replying to so no one knows what you are talking about.

    Yes he has. That information is in Reference Field, in the Header.

    (And in Outlook Express, in the news group pane, you can see where the
    followup-to fits in).

    Axel Hammerschmidt, Mar 16, 2007
  15. "Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote:

    > GMAN <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > But if they dont even see you are there, they wont try to hack into you. There
    > > is no real reason SSID Boradcast needs to be on period. Comeon microsoft!!!
    > > Damnit!

    > Whenever at station (a pc with a wireless card) - like the owner who
    > knows the SSID - associates with (connects to) the access point, the
    > SSID is broadcast in the clear and will be discovered.
    >
    > There is no secuirity what so ever in not broadcasting SSID. And not
    > broadcasting can very well lead to unnecessary wireless network clouding
    > on default channels.

    I disagree. In a RADIUS authenticated environment, some doofus trying to
    constantly associate with an SSID he doesn't have the credentials for can
    seriously impede forensics and troubleshooting when looking at the RADIUS
    server's logs. It is inherently bad security to broadcast SSIDs in such a
    scenario.

    =?Utf-8?B?RGVyZWsgSHVkc29u?=, Jun 6, 2007
  16. James

    TW Guest

    "Derek Hudson" <Derek > wrote in message

    > "Axel Hammerschmidt" wrote:
    >
    >> GMAN <> wrote:
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> > But if they dont even see you are there, they wont try to hack into
    >> > you. There
    >> > is no real reason SSID Boradcast needs to be on period. Comeon
    >> > microsoft!!!
    >> > Damnit!

    >> Whenever at station (a pc with a wireless card) - like the owner who
    >> knows the SSID - associates with (connects to) the access point, the
    >> SSID is broadcast in the clear and will be discovered.
    >>
    >> There is no secuirity what so ever in not broadcasting SSID. And not
    >> broadcasting can very well lead to unnecessary wireless network clouding
    >> on default channels.

    > I disagree. In a RADIUS authenticated environment, some doofus trying to
    > constantly associate with an SSID he doesn't have the credentials for can
    > seriously impede forensics and troubleshooting when looking at the RADIUS
    > server's logs. It is inherently bad security to broadcast SSIDs in such a
    > scenario.

    I agree, with a RADIUS server, you shouldn't have to broadcast the SSID,
    but, how many home users actually HAVE a RADIUS server.

    TW, Jun 7, 2007
  17. James

    ya never know..

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    I have mine on broadcast, WPA and with a password. I'm not real worried about it. I'd like it not to broadcast but then the laptop can't even find it.

    ya never know.., Jun 12, 2007