    TIA
    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Feb 18, 2006

  2. Frosty

    old jon Guest

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
    > switch on the power supply.
    > What do I tell him to tweak?
    > TIA

    If you mean his system doesn`t `shut down` properly ??
    old jon, Feb 18, 2006

  3. Frosty

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:16:24 -0500, Frosty wrote:

    >My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
    >switch on the power supply.
    >What do I tell him to tweak?

    Different search terms in www.google.com or this NG 24HSHD

    There are many sites, as well as posts in 24HSHD dealing with xp (other
    versions) shutdown issues. It's easier to search than copy and paste
    them again and again and again......

    Me
    why?, Feb 18, 2006
  4. Frosty

    Trax Guest

    Frosty <> wrote:

    |>My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
    |>switch on the power supply.
    |>What do I tell him to tweak?

    I have a short-cut that I've put in the quick launch bar that has:
    WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0
    as it's target (command). When I want to shutdown I just click on it -
    no waiting, no hassle.

    --
    http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com//ayb2.swf
    Trax, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
    17:13:25 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide why?
    <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> from this open and apparent
    shame?:

    >On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:16:24 -0500, Frosty wrote:
    >
    >>My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
    >>switch on the power supply.
    >>What do I tell him to tweak?

    >Different search terms in www.google.com or this NG 24HSHD
    >http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
    >
    >There are many sites, as well as posts in 24HSHD dealing with xp

    (other
    >versions) shutdown issues. It's easier to search than copy and paste
    >them again and again and again......
    >
    >Me

    Hey wow! There's a post there by you!:

    "On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 09:27:54 -0800, M Mullen wrote:
    >On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 15:08:37 GMT, "Ninip" <> wrote:

    >|> Hi
    >|> I hope someone can help me with this.
    >|> I have Win XP Pro
    >|> When I click on Shutdown, the computer does it's thing and then

    stops and on
    >|> the screen it says "It is now safe to turn off your computer"
    >|> Then I have to manually push the button on the tower to turn it

    off.

    >|> What is wrong and how do I fix it?

    <snip>

    >That's the way it's supposed to work.
    >you have three shutdown options:
    >Log off <user> allows another user to log on without restarting
    >ShutDown stops at "It is now safe to turn off your computer"

    Not always,
    XP Pro and RedHat Linux / Fedora will quite happily shutdown (power
    off)
    a Dell GX100 for me. Even Win 2000 Pro can do this on an unbranded
    system.

    <snip>

    Me "

    But there's like no answer to the question...how??
    <sigh> I guess I'll keep lookin' although I don't see how this is
    easier...oh wait, you meant easier for you! :) My bad! :)

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Feb 18, 2006
  6. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
    16:21:50 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide "old jon"
    <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >"Frosty" <> wrote in message
    >> My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
    >> switch on the power supply.
    >> What do I tell him to tweak?
    >> TIA
    >>

    >If you mean his system doesn`t `shut down` properly ??

    Uh, well maybe that's what I mean.
    He wants to be able to hit "Start, Turn Off Computer, Turn Off" the
    have the computer actually power down without having to reach behind
    his box & flip off the power-supply switch.
    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Feb 18, 2006
  7. Frosty

    Frosty Guest

    What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
    10:02:37 -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide Trax

    -
    >no waiting, no hassle.

    Um...yeah.
    I tried that just now & saw a screen I haven't seen since before the
    beginning. It said "It's Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer." Cool!
    Thing is, he already has that screen.

    He wants what mine does: I punch Ctrl + Esc, hit u, then u again & the
    whole dang thing shuts off. No more fans runnin', no lights, no air.

    How he do dat please?

    --

    "The Borg assimilated my race, and all I got was this crummy tagline."
    Frosty, Feb 18, 2006
  8. Frosty

    Trax Guest

    Frosty <> wrote:

    |>What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
    |>10:02:37 -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide Trax
    |><> from this open and apparent shame?:

    |>>I have a short-cut that I've put in the quick launch bar that has:
    |>>WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0
    |>>as it's target (command). When I want to shutdown I just click on it
    |>-
    |>>no waiting, no hassle.

    |>Um...yeah.
    |>I tried that just now & saw a screen I haven't seen since before the
    |>beginning. It said "It's Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer." Cool!
    |>Thing is, he already has that screen.

    |>He wants what mine does: I punch Ctrl + Esc, hit u, then u again & the
    |>whole dang thing shuts off. No more fans runnin', no lights, no air.
    |>
    |>How he do dat please?

    I use the classic menu system, if I shut down with the keyboard I hit:
    LWinkey, up arrow, Enter, Enter

    -The first time you need to click on Shutdown - the rest of the times
    it remembers what you clicked before.

    --
    http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com//ayb2.swf
    Trax, Feb 18, 2006
  9. Frosty

    Trax Guest

    Frosty <> wrote:

    |>He wants what mine does: I punch Ctrl + Esc, hit u, then u again & the
    |>whole dang thing shuts off. No more fans runnin', no lights, no air.
    |>
    |>How he do dat please?

    Punch Ctrl + Esc, hit u - is the U underlined in "tUrn off" on his
    machine?

    If not you need to fix that, you need to display the alt keys without
    hitting the alt key.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/hideunderlines.mspx
    OR http://tinyurl.com/7clg7

    --
    http://allyourbase.planettribes.gamespy.com//ayb2.swf
    Trax, Feb 18, 2006
  10. Frosty

    Alan Guest

    Frosty wrote:
    > What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
    > 10:02:37 -0800, canst thou now find out, to hide Trax
    > <> from this open and apparent shame?:

    >>I have a short-cut that I've put in the quick launch bar that has:
    >>WINDOWS\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 0
    >>as it's target (command). When I want to shutdown I just click on it

    > -
    >
    >>no waiting, no hassle.

    > Um...yeah.
    > I tried that just now & saw a screen I haven't seen since before the
    > beginning. It said "It's Now Safe To Turn Off Your Computer." Cool!
    > Thing is, he already has that screen.
    >
    > He wants what mine does: I punch Ctrl + Esc, hit u, then u again & the
    > whole dang thing shuts off. No more fans runnin', no lights, no air.
    >
    > How he do dat please?

    How new/old is this computer? Is WinXP native to this system or was it
    an upgrade? I remember I had a similiar problem WAY back when I
    upgraded to W2K from 98 and Microsoft Phone support (yes phone support)
    was befuddled by the fact that Device manager, computer did NOT show
    "Advanced Configuration & power Interface" I think I did a clean
    install on a HD I had lying around an that worked.
    Alan, Feb 18, 2006
  11. Frosty

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 13:13:23 -0500, Frosty wrote:

    >What trick, what device, what starting-hole on Sat, 18 Feb 2006
    >17:13:25 GMT, canst thou now find out, to hide why?
    ><fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> from this open and apparent
    >shame?:
    >

    >>On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 11:16:24 -0500, Frosty wrote:
    >>
    >>>My friend can't turn off his WinXP Home box without flipping the
    >>>switch on the power supply.
    >>>What do I tell him to tweak?

    >>Different search terms in www.google.com or this NG 24HSHD
    >>http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk?
    >>
    >>There are many sites, as well as posts in 24HSHD dealing with xp

    >(other
    >>versions) shutdown issues. It's easier to search than copy and paste
    >>them again and again and again......
    >>
    >>Me

    >Hey wow! There's a post there by you!:

    <snip>

    >Not always,
    >XP Pro and RedHat Linux / Fedora will quite happily shutdown (power
    >off)
    >a Dell GX100 for me. Even Win 2000 Pro can do this on an unbranded
    >system.
    >
    ><snip>
    >

    >Me "
    >
    >But there's like no answer to the question...how??

    Read the other posts, you didn't look hard enough.

    ><sigh> I guess I'll keep lookin' although I don't see how this is
    >easier...oh wait, you meant easier for you! :) My bad! :)

    Of course it's easier for me, why should I make it harder?

    72 results for shutdown author:why?

    After that there are a lot more, by many other posters.

    Me
    why?, Feb 18, 2006
  12. Frosty

    Plato Guest

    Frosty wrote:

    > >If you mean his system doesn`t `shut down` properly ??

    > He wants to be able to hit "Start, Turn Off Computer, Turn Off" the
    > have the computer actually power down without having to reach behind
    > his box & flip off the power-supply switch.

    Use msconfig to find the app that wont close down. That's one reason
    msconfig exists.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 20, 2006