    to listen on port 53 for DNS queries; once the query is received the
    router should look to its own host table (Both perm and cached entries)
    and then return a name resolution (IP address) to the querying host.
    jsh3323, Mar 23, 2006

  2. jsh3323

    chris Guest

    "jsh3323" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Does anybody know how to make a Cisco Router act as a DNS server? Let
    > me clarify that I'm not talking about relaying/forwarding DNS requests,
    > from the router to another system that resolves DNS. I want the router
    > to listen on port 53 for DNS queries; once the query is received the
    > router should look to its own host table (Both perm and cached entries)
    > and then return a name resolution (IP address) to the querying host.

    I don't think that you can do this. Why would you want to?

    Chris.
    chris, Mar 23, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    "jsh3323" <> wrote:

    > Does anybody know how to make a Cisco Router act as a DNS server? Let
    > me clarify that I'm not talking about relaying/forwarding DNS requests,
    > from the router to another system that resolves DNS. I want the router
    > to listen on port 53 for DNS queries; once the query is received the
    > router should look to its own host table (Both perm and cached entries)
    > and then return a name resolution (IP address) to the querying host.

    The only Cisco router-like device I know of that can do this is
    Distributed Director. But it's pretty limited in the types of queries
    it can handle.

    --
    Barry Margolin,
    Arlington, MA
    Barry Margolin, Mar 24, 2006
  4. On 23 Mar 2006 14:58:06 -0800, "jsh3323" <> wrote:

    ~ Does anybody know how to make a Cisco Router act as a DNS server?

    Why, with the "ip dns server" command, naturally.

    ~ Let
    ~ me clarify that I'm not talking about relaying/forwarding DNS requests,
    ~ from the router to another system that resolves DNS. I want the router
    ~ to listen on port 53 for DNS queries; once the query is received the
    ~ router should look to its own host table (Both perm and cached entries)
    ~ and then return a name resolution (IP address) to the querying host.

    c3640(config)#ip dns server
    c3640(config)#ip host foo.bar ?
    <0-65535> Default telnet port number
    A.B.C.D Host IP address
    additional Append addresses
    mx Configure a MX record
    ns Configure an NS record
    srv Configure a SRV record
    c3640(config)#ip host foo.bar 10.3.4.5

    c3640#sho ip int brief | i Eth
    FastEthernet0/0 10.95.42.135 YES DHCP up up

    --

    craw)nslookup
    Default Server: LOCALHOST

    > server 10.95.42.135

    Default Server: tucson-3640.cisco.com
    Address: 10.95.42.135

    > set debug
    > foo.bar

    Server: tucson-3640.cisco.com
    Address: 10.95.42.135

    ------------
    Got answer:
    HEADER:
    opcode = QUERY, id = 57661, rcode = NOERROR
    header flags: response, want recursion, recursion avail.
    questions = 1, answers = 1, authority records = 0, additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
    foo.bar, type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    -> foo.bar