Tunneling VPN-Client through ASA

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Christoph Gartmann, Nov 18, 2009.

  1. Hello,

    we have a Cisco ASA 5550 running Software Version 8.2(1)11. We have client
    computers with non-routed addresses. The ASA does NAT/PAT for these clients.
    We have one computer that has Cisco's VPN-client installed. This computer
    needs to establish a VPN-connection to a remote site (a Cisco concentrator 3030
    over which we have no control). The problem: the tunnel is established, it is
    possible to send pings to other computers within the remote LAN but nothing
    else is working. E.g. although the remote WWW-server can be pinged, web-pages
    cannot be retrieved, DNS requests don't work and so on.

    If we put the computer in a different network outside of our local LAN, but
    again through a NAT/PAT device, everything with the VPN connection in
    question is working fine.

    On the other hand, VPN connections to other sites from within our LAN are
    running smoothly as well.

    If we use a different computer with a different OS from withn our LAN the
    problem persists.

    If we give the computer a routed address (no NAT/PAT anymore), the problem
    is gone.

    Thus, it is something between our site and the remote site but it is Cisco ;-)

    Any ideas what might be wrong here? Or how to analyze the problem further?

    Regards,
    Christoph Gartmann

    --
    Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
    Immunbiologie
    Christoph Gartmann, Nov 18, 2009