    for my elderly mother's XP PC so should also be easy to use. She says
    it takes so long to get connected she plays a game of cards while she
    is waiting.
    GraB, Oct 24, 2005

  2. GraB

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Does anyone know of a programme, preferably free, that can tune up a
    > dial-up connection. I used one for Win98SE, called Modem Wizard, that
    > made a big difference to how quickly I got connected and also improved
    > download performance. I am looking for something that will do similar
    > for my elderly mother's XP PC so should also be easy to use. She says
    > it takes so long to get connected she plays a game of cards while she
    > is waiting.

    Uncheck all unused protocols. TCP/IP is the only one needed.
    Rob J, Oct 25, 2005

  3. GraB

    a.d. Guest

    GraB wrote:
    > Does anyone know of a programme, preferably free, that can tune up a
    > dial-up connection. I used one for Win98SE, called Modem Wizard, that
    > made a big difference to how quickly I got connected and also improved
    > download performance. I am looking for something that will do similar
    > for my elderly mother's XP PC so should also be easy to use. She says
    > it takes so long to get connected she plays a game of cards while she
    > is waiting.

    She may live in an area where the ISP is overloaded which makes it hard
    for her to get online in the first place. Software won't fix this.

    Once she is online, she could use Firefox web browser and and FireTune
    to optimize the browser for a slow connection. I've done this and it
    makes a difference.

    Cheers
    a.d.
    a.d., Oct 25, 2005
  4. GraB

    a.d. Guest

    a.d. wrote:
    > GraB wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone know of a programme, preferably free, that can tune up a
    >> dial-up connection. I used one for Win98SE, called Modem Wizard, that
    >> made a big difference to how quickly I got connected and also improved
    >> download performance. I am looking for something that will do similar
    >> for my elderly mother's XP PC so should also be easy to use. She says
    >> it takes so long to get connected she plays a game of cards while she
    >> is waiting.

    > She may live in an area where the ISP is overloaded which makes it hard
    > for her to get online in the first place. Software won't fix this.
    >
    > Once she is online, she could use Firefox web browser and and FireTune
    > to optimize the browser for a slow connection. I've done this and it
    > makes a difference.
    >
    > Cheers
    > a.d.

    And if you're really keen, alter the Registry... see link below:
    a.d., Oct 25, 2005
  5. In article <435df432$>, says...

    > And if you're really keen, alter the Registry... see link below:
    > http://www.winguides.com/registry/display.php/280/

    Also, uncheck 'register computer on the network' on the options for the
    dialup connection. It is unnecessary and can take quite some time to
    complete.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Oct 25, 2005