    Stuart
    [ciqret]

    [also known as cicero]
    ciqret, May 28, 2005

  2. On 5/28/2005 11:05 AM, ciqret said:
    > I've set up a signature file, but Thunderbird inserts the following
    > additional charachters "--" (not the quotes) before my signature text.
    >
    > Of course I can delete them again before posting my message, but would
    > like to know if I can edit something somewhere to avoid this happening.
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Stuart
    > [ciqret]
    >

    > [also known as cicero]

    "-- " is how the other guy's e-mail software knows it is a signature at
    all. It's a convention. Better *not* to avoid it!

    David H

    --

    "When the tough get going, I'll steal their sandwiches."

    If you need to contact me direct, please remove the obvious from the
    reply address
    David Harrison, May 28, 2005

  3. ciqret

    ciqret Guest

    David Harrison wrote:
    > On 5/28/2005 11:05 AM, ciqret said:
    >
    >> I've set up a signature file, but Thunderbird inserts the following
    >> additional charachters "--" (not the quotes) before my signature text.
    >>
    >> Of course I can delete them again before posting my message, but would
    >> like to know if I can edit something somewhere to avoid this happening.
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> Stuart
    >> [ciqret]
    >>

    >> [also known as cicero]

    > "-- " is how the other guy's e-mail software knows it is a signature at
    > all. It's a convention. Better *not* to avoid it!
    >
    > David H

    David

    Whilst I appreciate your opinion, I don't suppose you know the answer to
    the question too?

    For what it's worth, this message demonstrates how I'm using my
    signature and why I'd like to remove the "--" .. in this message I
    haven't manually deleted it.

    Perhaps this isn't what signatures are intended for. Is there a more
    appropriate method perhaps?

    --
    Thanks

    Stuart
    [ciqret]

    [also known as cicero]
    ciqret, May 28, 2005
  4. ciqret

    Tony Raven Guest

    ciqret wrote:
    > I've set up a signature file, but Thunderbird inserts the following
    > additional charachters "--" (not the quotes) before my signature text.
    >
    > Of course I can delete them again before posting my message, but would
    > like to know if I can edit something somewhere to avoid this happening.

    Its the standard delimiter for mail programmes so that when you reply to
    the message it automatically cuts everything below the -- out. Best to
    leave it in as it saves people replying from having to trim it off
    themselves.

    --
    Tony

    "A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought" Lord
    Peter Wimsey (Dorothy L. Sayers)
    Tony Raven, May 28, 2005
  5. ciqret

    Tony Raven Guest

    See http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=808149

    Tony Raven, May 28, 2005
  6. ciqret

    Arne Guest

    Once upon a time *ciqret* wrote:

    > David Harrison wrote:
    >> On 5/28/2005 11:05 AM, ciqret said:
    >>
    >>> I've set up a signature file, but Thunderbird inserts the following
    >>> additional charachters "--" (not the quotes) before my signature text.
    >>>
    >>> Of course I can delete them again before posting my message, but would
    >>> like to know if I can edit something somewhere to avoid this happening.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>> Stuart
    >>> [ciqret]
    >>>

    >>> [also known as cicero]

    >> "-- " is how the other guy's e-mail software knows it is a signature at
    >> all. It's a convention. Better *not* to avoid it!
    >>
    >> David H
    >>

    > David
    >
    > Whilst I appreciate your opinion, I don't suppose you know the answer to
    > the question too?
    >
    > For what it's worth, this message demonstrates how I'm using my
    > signature and why I'd like to remove the "--" .. in this message I
    > haven't manually deleted it.
    >
    > Perhaps this isn't what signatures are intended for. Is there a more
    > appropriate method perhaps?

    It's *not* "--" but "-- " (note the space in the end) and the purpose
    with is to separate the sig from the rest of the message. When
    replying to your post the sig is automaically removed, as it should be.

    --
    /Arne

    are replying to, no more and no less! And don't
    quote signatures, thank you.
    Arne, May 28, 2005
  7. ciqret

    Tony Raven Guest

    Arne wrote:

    > It's *not* "--" but "-- " (note the space in the end)

    <Pedant>
    Actually -- \n (--followed by a space and new line)
    </Pedant>

    Tony Raven, May 28, 2005
  8. ciqret

    Ed Mullen Guest

    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz_sigtag.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, May 28, 2005
  9. ciqret

    Z Guest

    ciqret wrote:
    > I've set up a signature file, but Thunderbird inserts the following
    > additional charachters "--" (not the quotes) before my signature
    > text.

    > Of course I can delete them again before posting my message, but
    > would like to know if I can edit something somewhere to avoid this
    > happening.

    The original question is still unanswered.

    Is there a way to change this behavior - the insertion of "-- \n" before
    the signature - in TB?
    Z, May 28, 2005
  10. On 2005-05-28, Z <> wrote:

    > The original question is still unanswered.
    >
    > Is there a way to change this behavior - the insertion of "-- \n" before
    > the signature - in TB?

    To change it would make Thunderbird non-RFC-compliant, and break the
    standard means by which news and mail software -- not just
    Thunderbird, but all standards-complient news and mail software
    -- recognizes signatures as separate from the body of the message. Why do
    you want to do this? It will make responding to your messages very
    annoying for people using standards-compliant software. You might as well
    be asking how you can make your web browser ignore the <p> and </p> tags,
    except what you ask affects how other people have to deal with your messages.

    That said, Thunderbird is open source, and you are free to download and
    modify the source code as you see fit.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, May 29, 2005
  11. ciqret

    Z Guest

    John Thompson wrote:
    >>The original question is still unanswered.
    >>
    >>Is there a way to change this behavior - the insertion of "-- \n" before
    >>the signature - in TB?

    > To change it would make Thunderbird non-RFC-compliant, and break the
    > standard means by which news and mail software -- not just
    > Thunderbird, but all standards-complient news and mail software
    > -- recognizes signatures as separate from the body of the message. Why do
    > you want to do this? It will make responding to your messages very
    > annoying for people using standards-compliant software. You might as well
    > be asking how you can make your web browser ignore the <p> and </p> tags,
    > except what you ask affects how other people have to deal with your messages.
    >
    > That said, Thunderbird is open source, and you are free to download and
    > modify the source code as you see fit.

    Ok, so the answer is "no."

    Why did that take so long and so many extraneous words?
    Z, May 29, 2005
  12. ciqret

    Moz Champion Guest

    Z wrote:
    > John Thompson wrote:
    >
    >>> The original question is still unanswered.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a way to change this behavior - the insertion of "-- \n" before
    >>> the signature - in TB?

    >> To change it would make Thunderbird non-RFC-compliant, and break the
    >> standard means by which news and mail software -- not just
    >> Thunderbird, but all standards-complient news and mail software --
    >> recognizes signatures as separate from the body of the message. Why
    >> do you want to do this? It will make responding to your messages very
    >> annoying for people using standards-compliant software. You might as
    >> well be asking how you can make your web browser ignore the <p> and
    >> with your messages.
    >>
    >> That said, Thunderbird is open source, and you are free to download
    >> and modify the source code as you see fit.

    > Ok, so the answer is "no."
    >
    > Why did that take so long and so many extraneous words?

    No, because that wasnt the question!

    You asked, and I quote

    "is there a way to change this behaviour?"

    the answer to that is YES, there is. Yes you CAN change it, but its NOT
    recommended to do so.
    And it was explained why it wasnt recommended to do so. It was then
    stated that you could modify the source code if you wished to.
    So, the answer was NOT a simple NO.

    Can you change the behaviour? YES
    Should you do so? NO
    You didnt ask whether you should, you asked if you could! So the simple
    answer you were looking for is yes.
    Moz Champion, May 29, 2005
  13. ciqret

    Z Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    >> Ok, so the answer is "no."
    >> Why did that take so long and so many extraneous words?

    > No, because that wasnt the question!
    > You asked, and I quote

    It wasn't _my_ question.

    > "is there a way to change this behaviour?"
    >
    > the answer to that is YES, there is. Yes you CAN change it, but its NOT
    > recommended to do so.
    > And it was explained why it wasnt recommended to do so. It was then
    > stated that you could modify the source code if you wished to.
    > So, the answer was NOT a simple NO.
    >
    > Can you change the behaviour? YES
    > Should you do so? NO
    > You didnt ask whether you should, you asked if you could! So the simple
    > answer you were looking for is yes.

    Really, now, MC, is the sarcasm necessary?
    Z, May 29, 2005
  14. ciqret

    Tony Raven Guest

    Z wrote:

    > The original question is still unanswered.
    >
    > Is there a way to change this behavior - the insertion of "-- \n"
    > before the signature - in TB?

    This from the Mozillazine Forums is given with no warranty

    > You can get rid of that if you edit file mail.dll. Change "-- " to "
    > " (three blanks) on ONE place (NOT where you find "<!-- ").
    >
    > WARNING: You must edit in "hex" format (e g with UltraEdit). NOT in
    > some plaintext format !

    Let me know if it works

    Tony Raven, May 29, 2005
  15. ciqret

    Jowah Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >
    >>> Ok, so the answer is "no."
    >>> Why did that take so long and so many extraneous words?

    >> No, because that wasnt the question!
    >> You asked, and I quote

    > It wasn't _my_ question.
    >

    >> "is there a way to change this behaviour?"
    >>
    >> the answer to that is YES, there is. Yes you CAN change it, but its
    >> NOT recommended to do so.
    >> And it was explained why it wasnt recommended to do so. It was then
    >> stated that you could modify the source code if you wished to.
    >> So, the answer was NOT a simple NO.
    >>
    >> Can you change the behaviour? YES
    >> Should you do so? NO
    >> You didnt ask whether you should, you asked if you could! So the
    >> simple answer you were looking for is yes.

    > Really, now, MC, is the sarcasm necessary?

    Z,

    No offense...lets be fair...you're being a little sarcastic yourself -
    "Why did that take so long and so many extraneous words?" - It's a good
    online practice to try to speak to people as if you were face to face.
    People have enough stress in their lives without having to deal with
    petty arguments in a newsgroup. Have a good Memorial Day.

    Joe
    Jowah, May 30, 2005
  16. ciqret

    Moz Champion Guest

    Jowah wrote:
    > Z wrote:

    >>> No, because that wasnt the question!
    >>> You asked, and I quote

    >> It wasn't _my_ question.
    >>

    >>> "is there a way to change this behaviour?"
    >>>
    >>> the answer to that is YES, there is. Yes you CAN change it, but its
    >>> NOT recommended to do so.
    >>> And it was explained why it wasnt recommended to do so. It was then
    >>> stated that you could modify the source code if you wished to.
    >>> So, the answer was NOT a simple NO.
    >>>
    >>> Can you change the behaviour? YES
    >>> Should you do so? NO
    >>> You didnt ask whether you should, you asked if you could! So the
    >>> simple answer you were looking for is yes.

    >> Really, now, MC, is the sarcasm necessary?

    > Z,
    >
    > No offense...lets be fair...you're being a little sarcastic yourself -
    > "Why did that take so long and so many extraneous words?" - It's a good
    > online practice to try to speak to people as if you were face to face.
    > People have enough stress in their lives without having to deal with
    > petty arguments in a newsgroup. Have a good Memorial Day.
    >
    > Joe

    This is a repost of Z's first post in this thread

    "The original question is still unanswered.

    Is there a way to change this behavior - the insertion of "-- \n" before
    the signature - in TB? "

    Yet this isnt HIS question? Then who asked it?

    If we go way back to cigret (who may be Z) then the question took this form

    "I've set up a signature file, but Thunderbird inserts the following
    additional charachters "--" (not the quotes) before my signature text.

    Of course I can delete them again before posting my message, but would
    like to know if I can edit something somewhere to avoid this happening."

    So the answer to both questions is the same. YES you can, but it isnt
    recommended (and the reasons for not recommending it were stated).

    So, once again, there is no NO answer! YES you can do it, but it is not
    recommended to do so.
    Is sarcasm really neccessary? No, it isnt. But calling those answers
    you did get extraneous is being really sarcastic. And in the end, you
    didnt even see the answer! Its not NO, its YES, you can (but dont do it)
    Moz Champion, May 30, 2005
  17. ciqret

    ciqret Guest

    ciqret wrote:
    > I've set up a signature file, but Thunderbird inserts the following
    > additional charachters "--" (not the quotes) before my signature text.
    >
    > Of course I can delete them again before posting my message, but would
    > like to know if I can edit something somewhere to avoid this happening.
    >

    > Thanks
    >

    > Stuart
    > [ciqret]
    >

    > [also known as cicero]

    NG

    Thanks to all who responded.

    I appreciate the time you've taken to thoroughly discuss my question.

    The "--\n" convention was not one I was aware of, I am now and will
    respect it. It's obviously a pretty strong convention if the only way to
    change it is via a hex editor :)

    On reflection I think I'd been trying to combine the proper use of a
    signature (everything from "Stuart" onwards below) with the use of
    templates/stationery (the "Thanks\n\n").

    (FWIW I didn't subsequently post as Z as one of the responses suggested.)

    --
    Thanks

    Stuart
    [ciqret]

    [also known as cicero]
    ciqret, Jun 1, 2005
  18. ciqret uitte de volgende tekst op 1/06/2005 23:11:
    > ciqret wrote:
    >
    >> I've set up a signature file, but Thunderbird inserts the following
    >> additional charachters "--" (not the quotes) before my signature text.
    >>
    >> Of course I can delete them again before posting my message, but would
    >> like to know if I can edit something somewhere to avoid this happening.
    >>

    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> Stuart
    >> [ciqret]
    >>

    >> [also known as cicero]

    > NG
    >
    > Thanks to all who responded.
    >
    > I appreciate the time you've taken to thoroughly discuss my question.
    >
    > The "--\n" convention was not one I was aware of, I am now and will
    > respect it. It's obviously a pretty strong convention if the only way to
    > change it is via a hex editor :)
    >
    > On reflection I think I'd been trying to combine the proper use of a
    > signature (everything from "Stuart" onwards below) with the use of
    > templates/stationery (the "Thanks\n\n").
    >
    > (FWIW I didn't subsequently post as Z as one of the responses suggested.)

    As you see, your sig has been removed indeed! But for the record, it is
    "-- \n", with a space after the two dashes.

    And you might be looking for http://signature.mozdev.org.

    Cheers, H.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    Interesting websites:
    www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
    www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
    aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare
    Hendrik Maryns, Jun 1, 2005
  19. ciqret

    Z Guest

    ciqret wrote:
    > (FWIW I didn't subsequently post as Z as one of the responses suggested.)

    You're not me? I'm not you?

    Are you sure? LOL.
    Z, Jun 1, 2005
  20. ciqret