    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]
    ~misfit~, Sep 12, 2013

  2. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Anyone want a few? Plus I've got a couple of those 'Slot-T' adapters
    > so you can run one in a Coppermine-capable Slot motherboard. I have
    > them ranging from 1.1GHz to 1.3 (or 1.4, not sure). Free to a good
    > home.
    > I know they're really old tech but Mum didn't raise me to throw away
    > anything that someone else might be able to put to use.
    >
    > Otherwise I'll rip the IHS's off for heatsink-modding material and
    > dump them.

    Ok then, I'll get to removing the IHSs today.

    (I can, more than likely, re-purpose some [30mm x 30mm x 1.5mm] squares of
    nickel-plated copper in custom heatsinks - maybe for LEDs or modding
    ThinkPad coolers....)

    Seems a shame when these were fairly costly even when I bought them
    second-hand - and so much more efficient than the Coppermines they replaced.
    Still, time marches on I guess. <shrug>
    --
    /Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 14, 2013

  3. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:22:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Anyone want a few? Plus I've got a couple of those 'Slot-T' adapters
    >> so you can run one in a Coppermine-capable Slot motherboard. I have
    >> them ranging from 1.1GHz to 1.3 (or 1.4, not sure). Free to a good
    >> home.
    >> I know they're really old tech but Mum didn't raise me to throw away
    >> anything that someone else might be able to put to use.
    >>
    >> Otherwise I'll rip the IHS's off for heatsink-modding material and
    >> dump them.

    > Ok then, I'll get to removing the IHSs today.
    >
    > (I can, more than likely, re-purpose some [30mm x 30mm x 1.5mm] squares of
    > nickel-plated copper in custom heatsinks - maybe for LEDs or modding
    > ThinkPad coolers....)
    >
    > Seems a shame when these were fairly costly even when I bought them
    > second-hand - and so much more efficient than the Coppermines they replaced.
    > Still, time marches on I guess. <shrug>

    Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
    i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?
    Bret, Sep 14, 2013
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:22:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Anyone want a few? Plus I've got a couple of those 'Slot-T' adapters
    >>> so you can run one in a Coppermine-capable Slot motherboard. I have
    >>> them ranging from 1.1GHz to 1.3 (or 1.4, not sure). Free to a good
    >>> home.
    >>> I know they're really old tech but Mum didn't raise me to throw away
    >>> anything that someone else might be able to put to use.
    >>>
    >>> Otherwise I'll rip the IHS's off for heatsink-modding material and
    >>> dump them.

    >> Ok then, I'll get to removing the IHSs today.
    >>
    >> (I can, more than likely, re-purpose some [30mm x 30mm x 1.5mm]
    >> squares of nickel-plated copper in custom heatsinks - maybe for LEDs
    >> or modding ThinkPad coolers....)
    >>
    >> Seems a shame when these were fairly costly even when I bought them
    >> second-hand - and so much more efficient than the Coppermines they
    >> replaced. Still, time marches on I guess. <shrug>

    > Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
    > i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?

    I could well be Bret - thanks very much for the offer. Where are you? My
    email in the headers is correct.

    Cheers,
    --
    /Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 15, 2013
  5. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On 2013-09-14, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Anyone want a few? Plus I've got a couple of those 'Slot-T' adapters
    >> so you can run one in a Coppermine-capable Slot motherboard. I have
    >> them ranging from 1.1GHz to 1.3 (or 1.4, not sure). Free to a good
    >> home.
    >> I know they're really old tech but Mum didn't raise me to throw away
    >> anything that someone else might be able to put to use.

    Neither did mine, however, there were things that she did throw away,
    in the end. As did yours. Yes?

    >> Otherwise I'll rip the IHS's off for heatsink-modding material and
    >> dump them.

    > Ok then, I'll get to removing the IHSs today.
    >
    > (I can, more than likely, re-purpose some [30mm x 30mm x 1.5mm] squares of
    > nickel-plated copper in custom heatsinks - maybe for LEDs or modding
    > ThinkPad coolers....)
    >
    > Seems a shame when these were fairly costly even when I bought them
    > second-hand - and so much more efficient than the Coppermines they replaced.
    > Still, time marches on I guess. <shrug>

    It does. In nature every thing is recycled. Mother nature does not have
    landfills. I am still amazed how nature can use/dispose of to good use what
    us humans consider waste, as long as it it from a natural process.
    Gordon, Sep 15, 2013
  6. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 13:45:01 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:

    >>> Ok then, I'll get to removing the IHSs today.
    >>>
    >>> (I can, more than likely, re-purpose some [30mm x 30mm x 1.5mm]
    >>> squares of nickel-plated copper in custom heatsinks - maybe for LEDs
    >>> or modding ThinkPad coolers....)
    >>>
    >>> Seems a shame when these were fairly costly even when I bought them
    >>> second-hand - and so much more efficient than the Coppermines they
    >>> replaced. Still, time marches on I guess. <shrug>

    >> Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
    >> i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?

    > I could well be Bret - thanks very much for the offer. Where are you? My
    > email in the headers is correct.
    >
    > Cheers,

    email sent.
    Bret, Sep 15, 2013
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Gordon wrote:
    > On 2013-09-14, ~misfit~ <> wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>> Anyone want a few? Plus I've got a couple of those 'Slot-T' adapters
    >>> so you can run one in a Coppermine-capable Slot motherboard. I have
    >>> them ranging from 1.1GHz to 1.3 (or 1.4, not sure). Free to a good
    >>> home.
    >>> I know they're really old tech but Mum didn't raise me to throw away
    >>> anything that someone else might be able to put to use.

    > Neither did mine, however, there were things that she did throw away,
    > in the end. As did yours. Yes?

    Yes, but only when she was sure that it would be of no benefit to others.

    >>> Otherwise I'll rip the IHS's off for heatsink-modding material and
    >>> dump them.

    >> Ok then, I'll get to removing the IHSs today.
    >>
    >> (I can, more than likely, re-purpose some [30mm x 30mm x 1.5mm]
    >> squares of nickel-plated copper in custom heatsinks - maybe for LEDs
    >> or modding ThinkPad coolers....)
    >>
    >> Seems a shame when these were fairly costly even when I bought them
    >> second-hand - and so much more efficient than the Coppermines they
    >> replaced. Still, time marches on I guess. <shrug>

    > It does. In nature every thing is recycled. Mother nature does not
    > have landfills. I am still amazed how nature can use/dispose of to
    > good use what us humans consider waste, as long as it it from a
    > natural process.

    True. However if someone can make use of something that I'm done with before
    I consign it to the great planetary mixing-pot then more's the better. ;-)
    --
    /Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 15, 2013
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:

    > email sent.

    .... and replied to - thanks.

    (It would have been sooner but I cut the tip of my left index finger off
    this afternoon dammit! I should know not to do things with potentailly sharp
    consequences when I'm 'done' for the day - fatigued, past the peak of my
    meds and not as onto it as I am at my best. It took several attempts [and a
    few wasted plasters] before I managed to staunch the bleeding enough to get
    some blood-free skin for the first jumbo-sized plaster to stick to - then
    another four plasters over and around it to stop blood seeping through.

    I'll soak the whole mess off tomorrow or the next day and dress it a bit
    better. LOL, there's quite a bit of dried blood in them, I notice the extra
    weight at the end of my finger.)
    --
    /Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 15, 2013
  9. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 21:22:46 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
    >>
    >> email sent.

    > ... and replied to - thanks.
    >
    > (It would have been sooner but I cut the tip of my left index finger off
    > this afternoon dammit! I should know not to do things with potentailly sharp
    > consequences when I'm 'done' for the day - fatigued, past the peak of my
    > meds and not as onto it as I am at my best. It took several attempts [and a
    > few wasted plasters] before I managed to staunch the bleeding enough to get
    > some blood-free skin for the first jumbo-sized plaster to stick to - then
    > another four plasters over and around it to stop blood seeping through.
    >
    > I'll soak the whole mess off tomorrow or the next day and dress it a bit
    > better. LOL, there's quite a bit of dried blood in them, I notice the extra
    > weight at the end of my finger.)

    Hope you dont bleed too much, it costs money to make good blood lol
    Bret, Sep 16, 2013
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Bret wrote:
    > On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 21:22:46 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    [snipped]
    >> I'll soak the whole mess off tomorrow or the next day and dress it a
    >> bit better. LOL, there's quite a bit of dried blood in them, I
    >> notice the extra weight at the end of my finger.)

    > Hope you dont bleed too much, it costs money to make good blood lol

    LOL! I know mate, I know. <g> Nah, not *too* much.

    I let it bleed freely for a couple seconds, as my old Dad taught me, to help
    flush out any foreign material, then ran it under the tap for 15 seconds or
    so. After that I guess I lost 50ml or so trying to staunch it with a wet
    towel until I could get plasters to stick.

    I used to be a blood donor but gave up as they told me they'd only use my
    blood for plasma production due to the meds I'm on. Well, as you say, it
    costs money to make good blood. I wasn't going to carry on donating it if
    they were just going to throw the good bits away! ;-)
    --
    /Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 16, 2013
  11. ~misfit~

    Richard Guest

    On 14/09/2013 1:00 p.m., Bret wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:22:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
    > i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?

    Not really, the inefficiency of keeping old kit like that running
    quickly takes away any savings from the hardware being free.

    My 2 crappy old P4 downloading machines for torrenting on suck down more
    power doing way less than my current spec desktop machines, and will be
    gettign put out to pasture soon when I get another couple of i3
    mobo/cpu/ram combos to replace them with. Should have a payback of under
    18 months with the power saved.

    Even older kit like that is even worse since they get so little done
    compared with even the most pathetic of atoms or similar.
    Richard, Sep 18, 2013
  12. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 00:13:29 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > On 14/09/2013 1:00 p.m., Bret wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:22:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
    >> i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?

    > Not really, the inefficiency of keeping old kit like that running
    > quickly takes away any savings from the hardware being free.
    >
    > My 2 crappy old P4 downloading machines for torrenting on suck down more
    > power doing way less than my current spec desktop machines, and will be
    > gettign put out to pasture soon when I get another couple of i3
    > mobo/cpu/ram combos to replace them with. Should have a payback of under
    > 18 months with the power saved.
    >
    > Even older kit like that is even worse since they get so little done
    > compared with even the most pathetic of atoms or similar.

    How about a Dell XPS core i7 with 8 Gigs of ram.
    How about an Asus eee atom powered needs a new power supply.
    Bret, Sep 18, 2013
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    > On 14/09/2013 1:00 p.m., Bret wrote:
    >> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:22:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
    >> i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?

    > Not really, the inefficiency of keeping old kit like that running
    > quickly takes away any savings from the hardware being free.
    >
    > My 2 crappy old P4 downloading machines for torrenting on suck down
    > more power doing way less than my current spec desktop machines, and
    > will be gettign put out to pasture soon when I get another couple of
    > i3 mobo/cpu/ram combos to replace them with. Should have a payback of
    > under 18 months with the power saved.
    >
    > Even older kit like that is even worse since they get so little done
    > compared with even the most pathetic of atoms or similar.

    Oh I *so* agree when it comes to P4s. I'm proud to say that I didn't ever
    own or run a single one of the power-hungry, super-inefficient dinosaurs.

    The Tualatin was the forerunner of the first Pentium M - which evolved into
    the core, core2 then 13 / 17 etc. It was a great, efficient CPU that's only
    'crime' was that (at the time) it's architechture wouldn't clock as high as
    AMDs contemporary CPUs. So Intel went down the P4 path, more as a marketting
    excercise than developing a good CPU - they just wanted something that
    clocked high - so looked good on paper. It was a folly.

    When they became ridiculously power-hungry and hot Intel tasked it's Israel
    based team with designing a new CPU for laptops as they couldn't compete
    with AMD in that area. The Israel team decided that, with recent advances to
    fabrication tech and the resulting ability to give it a large L2 cache the
    Tualatin could be 'evolved' into the Pentium M - which was twice as powerful
    as the Pentium 4 clock-for-clock and four times as power efficient.

    It was ultimately the death-knoll of the P4 and the rest is history - the
    descendants of that CPU make up all of Intel's current desktop (and mobile)
    range.

    *That's* why I have a bunch of Tualatins! Late in their life the Pentium III
    version was discontinued (as the PIII 1.4GHz Tualatin trounced the new P4
    1.7GHz and right up to 2GHz!). Instead of killing them off straight away
    Intel hampered them by only making them to run on a 100MHz FSB (and limiting
    the L2 to 256kB from the 512 the PIII had) and continued to make Celerons
    for a couple of years - up to 1.5GHz.

    They are a classic - and still not inefficient (relatively) CPU. I used to
    run 1.1GHz vrsions on a 133MHz FSB and it was a P4 killing machine. ;-)
    --
    /Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 19, 2013
  14. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:
    >> On 14/09/2013 1:00 p.m., Bret wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 12:22:24 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Heart breaking to see some of the tech thrown away now.
    >>> i might be able to get some stuff for you if you are interested?

    >> Not really, the inefficiency of keeping old kit like that running
    >> quickly takes away any savings from the hardware being free.
    >>
    >> My 2 crappy old P4 downloading machines for torrenting on suck down
    >> more power doing way less than my current spec desktop machines, and
    >> will be gettign put out to pasture soon when I get another couple of
    >> i3 mobo/cpu/ram combos to replace them with. Should have a payback of
    >> under 18 months with the power saved.
    >>
    >> Even older kit like that is even worse since they get so little done
    >> compared with even the most pathetic of atoms or similar.

    > Oh I *so* agree when it comes to P4s. I'm proud to say that I didn't
    > ever own or run a single one of the power-hungry, super-inefficient
    > dinosaurs.

    In other words these Tualatins would have easilly run 'downloading machines'
    and use less than a quarter of the power a P4 uses. <shrug>
    --
    /Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 19, 2013
  15. ~misfit~

    victor Guest

    On 19/09/2013 2:42 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs Richard wrote:

    >>> Not really, the inefficiency of keeping old kit like that running
    >>> quickly takes away any savings from the hardware being free.
    >>>
    >>> My 2 crappy old P4 downloading machines for torrenting on suck down
    >>> more power doing way less than my current spec desktop machines, and
    >>> will be gettign put out to pasture soon when I get another couple of
    >>> i3 mobo/cpu/ram combos to replace them with. Should have a payback of
    >>> under 18 months with the power saved.
    >>>
    >>> Even older kit like that is even worse since they get so little done
    >>> compared with even the most pathetic of atoms or similar.

    >> Oh I *so* agree when it comes to P4s. I'm proud to say that I didn't
    >> ever own or run a single one of the power-hungry, super-inefficient
    >> dinosaurs.

    > In other words these Tualatins would have easilly run 'downloading machines'
    > and use less than a quarter of the power a P4 uses. <shrug>

    Even they are a bit inefficient and bulky for that.
    I have a 2TB wd mybooklive NAS with a torrent client on it. Consumes
    5-10W and costs ~$200
    A raspberry pi as a torrent downloader seedbox would cost about $2 pa to
    run. Use them as music players or htpc players, just swap sd cards.
    Did I mention linux ? Or is that a Godwins infringement.
    victor, Sep 28, 2013
  16. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs victor wrote:
    > On 19/09/2013 2:42 p.m., ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Oh I *so* agree when it comes to P4s. I'm proud to say that I didn't
    >>> ever own or run a single one of the power-hungry, super-inefficient
    >>> dinosaurs.

    >> In other words these Tualatins would have easilly run 'downloading
    >> machines' and use less than a quarter of the power a P4 uses. <shrug>

    > Even they are a bit inefficient and bulky for that.

    Yeah but, compared to P4s they're positively frugal with the moving
    electrons.

    > I have a 2TB wd mybooklive NAS with a torrent client on it. Consumes
    > 5-10W and costs ~$200

    That's a seriously cost-effective solution!

    > A raspberry pi as a torrent downloader seedbox would cost about $2 pa
    > to run.

    True - but then I'd need to buy it first when I'm destitute and have older
    machines already owned....

    (Heh! I just logged into here to post a sob story involving a Tualatin -
    partly because this group has been so quiet of late and it's a great
    resource. I'd hate to see it go the way of the moas.)

    > Use them as music players or htpc players, just swap sd cards.

    Yeah, there's no doubting they're great little things.

    Then again I have a lidless X24 ThinkPad with a 1.13GHz PIII-M (Tualatin!),
    840MB RAM, HDD and Cardbus USB2 card (it only has USB 1.1 natively) that
    weighs 700g and includes an excellent little keyboard and trackpoint. I just
    plug it into one of the little 15" Dell LCDs that I picked up for $20 each
    and away it goes.... It never misses a beat, takes up less room than a
    normal keyboard and hardly gets warm enough to spin it's fan.

    > Did I mention linux ? Or is that a Godwins infringement.

    Nah, that's fine. However if you'd mentioned Sebastian Vettel...... ;-)
    --
    /Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2013