    How can I change the TTL value?

    Thanks,.

    Gordon
    Gordon J. Rattray, Jun 19, 2004

  2. The TTL returned by a remote host is not controlled(or influenced) by your
    DNS. The final TTL you see in your ping is REAL TTL set for that record
    minus the number of hops the packets had to cross to get back to you.

    Win2000/2003 (and maybe XP) ALWAYS return 128 when pinged on the LAN.

    Now, why are you worrying about this?

    --
    Sincerely,

    Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE MCSA MCP+I
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    www.readymaids.com - COMPLETE SPAM Protection
    www.akomolafe.com
    Yesterday? -anon

    "Gordon J. Rattray" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > When I ping, for example www.cjman.com it returns a ttl value of 119. If I
    > ping www.gallaudet.edu, it returns a value of 50.
    >
    > I have my Server 2003 set up and the DNS always returns a DNS value of

    128.

    Deji Akomolafe, Jun 19, 2004

  3. In news:,
    Gordon J. Rattray <> posted their thoughts, then I offered
    mine
    > Hi there,
    >
    > When I ping, for example www.cjman.com it returns a ttl value of 119.
    > If I ping www.gallaudet.edu, it returns a value of 50.
    >
    > I have my Server 2003 set up and the DNS always returns a DNS value
    > of 128. I've gone and dickered with the TTL in the "A" records for
    > the server, but nothing can change it.
    >
    > It is active directory integrated, but I am not sure if that has
    > anything to do with it.
    >
    > How can I change the TTL value?
    >
    > Thanks,.
    >
    > Gordon

    The TTLs on the returns are based on the machine it was coming from. Each
    hop (router) it hits will decrement it by 1. If it reaches 0, the packet
    expires. If there wasn't a TTL on the record, the packet would never expire
    and exist forever and clutter up everything.

    Here, read up on it:
    Tracert and Ping Tutorial - understanding traceroute and ping results and
    TTL values
    http://www.visualware.com/whitepapers/tutorials/tracert.html

    --
    Regards,
    Ace

    Please direct all replies to the newsgroup so all can benefit.
    This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no
    rights.

    HAM AND EGGS: A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a
    pig. --
    =================================
    Ace Fekay [MVP], Jun 19, 2004
  4. Hello,

    You cannot control a remote TTL

    --
    Regards,
    Kristofer Gafvert - IIS MVP

    Kristofer Gafvert, Jun 19, 2004
  5. That TTL is not the same as DNS TTL. That is the ICMP packet ttl.

    --
    William Stacey, MVP

    William Stacey [MVP], Jun 19, 2004
  6. In news:,
    William Stacey [MVP] <> posted their thoughts, then I
    offered mine
    > That TTL is not the same as DNS TTL. That is the ICMP packet ttl.

    Good point William. That TTL doesn't have anything to do with the A record.

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Jun 19, 2004
  7. Gordon J. Rattray

    Roger Abell Guest

    "William Stacey [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    > That TTL is not the same as DNS TTL. That is the ICMP packet ttl.
    >
    > --
    > William Stacey, MVP

    Concisely the right reply.
    The OP should examine their DNS service
    behavior using such as dig or nslookup.
    --
    Roger

    Roger Abell, Jun 20, 2004
  8. Gordon J. Rattray

    Thomas Lee Guest

    In message <>, Gordon J. Rattray
    <> writes
    >Hi there,
    >
    >When I ping, for example www.cjman.com it returns a ttl value of 119. If I
    >ping www.gallaudet.edu, it returns a value of 50.

    I get 110, and 111 respectively.

    >I have my Server 2003 set up and the DNS always returns a DNS value of 128.
    >I've gone and dickered with the TTL in the "A" records for the server, but
    >nothing can change it.

    I think you are confusing TTL on the ICMP packet, and TTL on DNS record.
    The former is how many hops a packet can take before being discardable,
    the latter is how long a DNS record should be cached.

    >It is active directory integrated, but I am not sure if that has anything to
    >do with it.
    >
    >How can I change the TTL value?

    The TTL values you note probably started off at 128, and were
    decremented as they passed through the Internet. You could tracert for
    it.

    The first site I googled for
    http://www.talkbroadband.com/tweaks/defaultttl2kxp.php has the answer as
    to how to change Default IP TTL.