    look into constructing an adapter of some sort, or maybe one already exists?

    Thank you.

    Joe.
    Joe Bugeja, Aug 18, 2004

  2. "Joe Bugeja" <> writes:

    > Hi
    >
    > I wish to use an Olympus macro twin flash on a fuji finepix S2 using TTL.
    >
    > Is this possible and if not, could someone please explain why so that I can
    > look into constructing an adapter of some sort, or maybe one already exists?

    The Fuji S2 uses a different TTL system than the Olympus, and I'm not aware of
    a means of converting between the two. If the Olympus flash does auto mode
    (flash has a light sensor and stops the light when it figures there is enough
    light for a particular f/stop), you could use it in auto or manual modes, but
    if you are going to be using a flash in auto/manual modes, you might as well
    get a cheaper generic flash.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Aug 18, 2004

  3. << I wish to use an Olympus macro twin flash on a fuji finepix S2 using TTL.

    Is this possible and if not, could someone please explain why so that I can
    look into constructing an adapter of some sort, or maybe one already exists? >>

    Joe-

    I'd be the last one to say it can't be done, but to do it you're on your own.
    Details of the two TTL systems probably fall in the "proprietary" category, and
    you may not be able to find authoritative data on their technical
    specifications.

    Here are some factors to consider:

    1. Voltage across the flash terminals may cause damage if too high for the
    other camera. Some kind of level converter may be needed.
    2. Some flashes change coverage area as the associated camera is zoomed
    through its range. If the Olympus flash does that, what happens to the
    coverage area when used with a non-Olympus camera? If the Fuji also changes
    coverage, then that is another area that needs to be adapted.
    3. Some flashes have an infrared lamp to aid in focus. That is another area
    where compatibility should be considered when you do the adaptation.
    4. Many (most?) flashes have a ready-light that shows up in the camera's
    viewfinder. That needs to be adapted as well.
    5. The communications between flash and camera may be totally different
    between Olympus and Fuji. Levels, waveforms and timing may need to be adapted.

    In the best scenario, you would make the appropriate connections between the
    flash and camera, and it just works. In the worst scenario, it burns up the
    camera!

    Good Luck.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Aug 21, 2004