    Northern Virginia, USA
    Are you guys in Australia concerned about this recent quake?:question:

    05-03-06: Tsunami warnings were issued for Fiji and New Zealand after a massive earthquake measuring about 7.8 in magnitude shook the southern Pacific Ocean. The quake's epicenter was about 95 miles off the coast of Tonga, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. Paula Chipman, an American tourist on Tonga, called it "a major, major shaker" and said it was impossible to assess the damage on the island because it was still dark.
    bigal, May 3, 2006

  2. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Nope, the warnings were cancelled this morning. Not a problem.
    XhArD, May 4, 2006

  3. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Not worried in the slightest. :)
    The Modfather, May 4, 2006
  4. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, are you worried about a quake happening closer to home?
    bigal, May 4, 2006
  5. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    Nah, the only place that'd get quakes in our *very large* area as a result of this big one would be New Zealand, but they get quakes over there relatively frequently anyway. They get a fair bit of seismic activity, South Island especially. If you meant just as a separate incident and not related to this one, why would I? It's not like this is suddenly scaring the crap out of me because I think it might happen here too.
    XhArD, May 4, 2006
  6. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    But, it might, you never know... Australia is a tectonic plate unto itself, so, it could just start to shake all over.
    The Modfather, May 4, 2006
  7. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    but everything is going to stay pretty still. its not like we are half-half, and the Whole of Australia is split in two :p, otherwise we would have major issues.

    To be honesty, i cant remember the last time we had large acivity on the rictor scale.. there was that mining incident but i think that was just a Mining fault.
    unholy, May 4, 2006
  8. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    to be honesty? you can do that??
    XhArD, May 5, 2006
  9. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    If anybody can, Nathan can. :)

    But, if I can be seriously for a minutes here. I'd like to congratulates Nathan on his amazingly usages of the English language once again.
    The Modfather, May 5, 2006
  10. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    Lol dont dis me bout my english :p i aint going to change it just for u, i might for a chick but not for modfather :p

    And what am i supposed to be able to do?
    unholy, May 6, 2006
  11. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    be "honesty"
    XhArD, May 6, 2006
  12. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    Yes, you have the power to do it! Just like you have the power to change!

    And chicks dig people who can spell properly, they're very turned off by people who constantly spell stuff wrong. I heard one supermodel recently say in a magazine "Yeah, people who constantly spell wrong or use poor grammar really turn me off." I think it was like Cindy Crawford or someone, I forget, she had big dangling participles.
    The Modfather, May 6, 2006
  13. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Oh, you mean boobs.
    bigal, May 7, 2006
  14. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    No, I mean dangling participles.

    Adjectives ending in -ing (and sometimes -ed) are called participles and must be used with care. Consider the following sentences:

    The robber ran from the policeman, still holding the money in his hands.
    After being whipped fiercely, the cook boiled the egg.
    Flitting gaily from flower to flower, the football player watched the bee.

    If you said the last sentence to the football player's face just the way it's phrased above, you could end up a bloody lump of pulp lying on the astroturf, because he might conclude you think he "flits gaily," a thing most people in his profession don't do, at least in public.

    The grammatical problem here rests with the -ing and -ed words used in these sentences: "holding," "being whipped," and "flitting." They are all participles, a type of verbal form that modifies nouns. The antecedent—that is, the noun to which the participle refers—must be clear to the readers in order for them to understand what's being said. Otherwise, an action may be subscribed to the wrong player, such as "flitting" to athletes. That's called a "dangling participle," because it's left "dangling" without a clear antecedent.

    Just as with compound subject-verb agreement when "or" links two or more subjects (see above, #9), proximity shows the link between a participle and its antecedent in English. In other words, the participle goes with the noun closest to it, either directly preceding or following it and the words which go with it in the sentence. In the example above, "flitting" is clearly intended to go with "bee"—bees, after all, naturally flit—but because the closest noun to "flitting" is "the football player," the sentence seems to suggest that the athlete is doing the flitting, not the bee. The sentence should read "The football player watched the bee flitting gaily from flower to flower." Can you see how to correct the problems with the dangling participles in the other two examples?

    In academic writing, dangling participles can cause serious misunderstandings, which is why I dwell on them here. Consider the following sentence: "After winning the Peloponnesian war, Athens was ruled briefly by the Spartans." By juxtaposing "winning" and "Athens," the sentence implies that Athens won the Peloponnesian War, which is wrong. The Spartans won the war. The sentence should be rephrased so that the participle is closer to the Spartans than to Athens: "After winning the Peloponnesian War, the Spartans ruled Athens briefly." Or, you can just rewrite the sentence and not use a participle: "After the Spartans won the Peloponnesian War, Athens was briefly in their control." Remember that precision is at a premium when writing history!"—or better, "when you're writing history."
    The Modfather, May 8, 2006
  15. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Can I "quote" you? I still think you were referring to boobs, and now you're trying to squirm out of it. Comes from the old wrestling days....
    [​IMG]
    bigal, May 9, 2006
  16. bigal

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Location:
    Australia
    lol is that u al :p
    unholy, May 9, 2006
  17. bigal

    The Modfather

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2005
    Messages:
    2,424
    I said dangling pariciples, I don't know where you got the idea I was referring to boobs, tits, tatas, bangers, mammalian protuberances, knockers, bazookas or gazoombas. Your mind must be in the gutter.
    The Modfather, May 9, 2006
  18. bigal

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes, it is. At least I'm willing to admit that. In fact, I just went outside and shouted it to the neighborhood. Two dogs started barking.
    bigal, May 10, 2006
  19. bigal

    XhArD

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2005
    Messages:
    1,709
    Location:
    Queensland, Australia
    and what's more, you got told that your mind was in the gutter, by a person who happens to know quite a few names for boobs :p
    XhArD, May 10, 2006
  20. bigal

    unholy

    Joined: