    Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Jul 22, 2007

  2. Dave Doe

    sam Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?

    I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
    won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing period.
    Its about time they dropped binaries.
    sam, Jul 22, 2007

  3. Dave Doe

    Jonno Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:46a2fc01$...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
    >>

    > I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
    > won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing
    > period.
    > Its about time they dropped binaries.

    So who made Sam the TC Usenet Net Cop?
    People who download binaries have as much right as anyone else who use TC.
    They still get charged for it on their bill. It's TC who are at fault here.
    Which brings up an interesting thought. As TC people are billed for the
    traffic they use these days, is the Usenet really a free add on as ISP's
    usually try to suggest. Maybe thats why Xtra cuts the speed down once you
    have reached your quota rather than charging you for it. Otherwise they may
    have had difficulties explaining that the Usenet was a free service when
    they did away with it.
    Anyway Sam go sit in a corner and read your latest Harry Potter book.
    Jonno, Jul 22, 2007
  4. Dave Doe

    sam Guest

    Jonno wrote:
    > "sam" <> wrote in message news:46a2fc01$...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
    >>>

    >> I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
    >> won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing
    >> period.
    >> Its about time they dropped binaries.

    > So who made Sam the TC Usenet Net Cop?
    > People who download binaries have as much right as anyone else who use TC.
    > They still get charged for it on their bill. It's TC who are at fault here.
    > Which brings up an interesting thought. As TC people are billed for the
    > traffic they use these days, is the Usenet really a free add on as ISP's
    > usually try to suggest. Maybe thats why Xtra cuts the speed down once you
    > have reached your quota rather than charging you for it. Otherwise they may
    > have had difficulties explaining that the Usenet was a free service when
    > they did away with it.
    > Anyway Sam go sit in a corner and read your latest Harry Potter book.

    Its only an O P I N I O N, don't throw a big tanty dude.
    Obviously its not free, someone pays for it, and thats why they have
    customers, to pay for the services they provide.
    If they were going to increase their cap they would have done it by now.
    TC is crap for binaries, always has been, now its getting to be crap for
    text newsgroups as well. Xtra doesn't have usenet servers at all AFAIK
    If you want to pirate stuff you can subscribe to Newzbin or similar and
    still pay for the download, but TC won't have to provide server capacity.
    So my O P I N I O N is that they should choose to do at least part of
    the service they do provide properly and continuously.
    If you have a different O P I N I O N then feel free to express it here,
    you can, no one is stopping you, its not moderated.
    Unfortunately hardly anyone is going to see it because it is B O R K E D
    sam, Jul 22, 2007
  5. Dave Doe

    Dave Taylor Guest

    sam <> wrote in news:46a31f0a$:

    > Unfortunately hardly anyone is going to see it because it is B O R K E D

    I called and tried to open a ticket, you should too.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jul 22, 2007
  6. Dave Doe

    thingy Guest

    Jonno wrote:
    > "sam" <> wrote in message news:46a2fc01$...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
    >>>

    >> I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
    >> won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing
    >> period.
    >> Its about time they dropped binaries.

    > So who made Sam the TC Usenet Net Cop?
    > People who download binaries have as much right as anyone else who use TC.
    > They still get charged for it on their bill.

    Usenet's design and reason for existence is for text messaging for
    people interested in communicating on a subject of common interest and
    not as a way to download (and in particular copyright infringing or
    illegal) binary images or cracked commercial programs.

    It's TC who are at fault here.
    > Which brings up an interesting thought. As TC people are billed for the
    > traffic they use these days, is the Usenet really a free add on as ISP's
    > usually try to suggest. Maybe thats why Xtra cuts the speed down once you
    > have reached your quota rather than charging you for it. Otherwise they may
    > have had difficulties explaining that the Usenet was a free service when
    > they did away with it.
    > Anyway Sam go sit in a corner and read your latest Harry Potter book.

    yeah right...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 22, 2007
  7. Dave Doe

    thingy Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?

    I have given up ringing the Clear help desk it is not solving the problem.

    So I have asked my management to discuss this with Clear at an account
    level. Unfortunately they don't understand what a news server is so I am
    having to explain a few things....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jul 22, 2007
  8. Dave Doe

    big cat Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 20:10:40 +1200, "Jonno" <> wrote:

    >"sam" <> wrote in message news:46a2fc01$...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
    >>>

    >> I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
    >> won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing
    >> period.
    >> Its about time they dropped binaries.

    >So who made Sam the TC Usenet Net Cop?
    >People who download binaries have as much right as anyone else who use TC.
    >They still get charged for it on their bill. It's TC who are at fault here.
    >Which brings up an interesting thought. As TC people are billed for the
    >traffic they use these days, is the Usenet really a free add on as ISP's
    >usually try to suggest. Maybe thats why Xtra cuts the speed down once you
    >have reached your quota rather than charging you for it. Otherwise they may
    >have had difficulties explaining that the Usenet was a free service when
    >they did away with it.
    >Anyway Sam go sit in a corner and read your latest Harry Potter book.

    AS far as I know there are no Binary news groups, so how can that be the
    case..?
    big cat, Jul 22, 2007
  9. Dave Doe

    Rob.S. Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
    >>

    > I have given up ringing the Clear help desk it is not solving the problem.
    >
    > So I have asked my management to discuss this with Clear at an account
    > level. Unfortunately they don't understand what a news server is so I am
    > having to explain a few things....

    And as I couldn't be bothered waiting the 45 - 60 minutes estimate to
    speak to a tech that I was given when I tried complaining, I filled in
    the form on TC's service page, and got an auto email saying I should get
    a reply within 2 days. This was on friday. I imagine weekends are not
    included, so I may get a reply tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath
    over it.

    Rob S
    Rob.S., Jul 22, 2007
  10. Dave Doe

    sam Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > sam <> wrote in news:46a31f0a$:
    >
    >> Unfortunately hardly anyone is going to see it because it is B O R K E D

    > I called and tried to open a ticket, you should too.

    If emailing them doesn't work they should get the fsck out of the
    internet business entirely.
    sam, Jul 22, 2007
  11. Dave Doe

    Rob.S. Guest

    big cat wrote:

    > AS far as I know there are no Binary news groups, so how can that be the
    > case..?

    From what I can tell, you are accessing through aioe.org news server. I
    don't know whether they carry binary groups, but rest assured that the
    TC/Paradise server does carry binary groups, though what
    alt.binaries.dominion.silly-group would carry completely escapes me,
    unless someone is sneaking around taking photos of some of this group's
    regular os trolls while they are dreaming up their next inane posting.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.
    Rob.S., Jul 22, 2007
  12. Dave Doe

    Rob S Guest

    Rob.S. wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> Has anyone heard when they'll reconnect to their peer?
    >>>

    >> I have given up ringing the Clear help desk it is not solving the
    >> problem.
    >>
    >> So I have asked my management to discuss this with Clear at an account
    >> level. Unfortunately they don't understand what a news server is so I
    >> am having to explain a few things....
    >>

    > And as I couldn't be bothered waiting the 45 - 60 minutes estimate to
    > speak to a tech that I was given when I tried complaining, I filled in
    > the form on TC's service page, and got an auto email saying I should get
    > a reply within 2 days. This was on friday. I imagine weekends are not
    > included, so I may get a reply tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath
    > over it.
    >
    > Rob S

    Seems I have a retraction to make.

    I just got an email from C customer care. To quote

    "Thank you for contacting TelstraClear.

    The news server has been checked and given a kick. Can you please check
    to see if these posts are now visible?
    This is not a case of data allocation which is not an issue anyway, but
    an issue with the news server itself.
    Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

    Can you also provide a couple of examples of newsgroups that were
    affected by this issue. I will create an account and view these from
    time to time for more proactive checking."

    I'm now posting this through the TC server and all backposts seem to
    have come through.

    So the TC team have earned themselves some kudos.

    Rob S, Jul 22, 2007
  13. Rob S wrote:
    > Rob.S. wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> I have given up ringing the Clear help desk it is not solving the
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> So I have asked my management to discuss this with Clear at an
    >>> account level. Unfortunately they don't understand what a news server
    >>> is so I am having to explain a few things....
    >>>

    >> And as I couldn't be bothered waiting the 45 - 60 minutes estimate to
    >> speak to a tech that I was given when I tried complaining, I filled in
    >> the form on TC's service page, and got an auto email saying I should
    >> get a reply within 2 days. This was on friday. I imagine weekends are
    >> not included, so I may get a reply tomorrow, but I'm not holding my
    >> breath over it.
    >>
    >> Rob S

    > Seems I have a retraction to make.
    >
    > I just got an email from C customer care. To quote
    >
    > "Thank you for contacting TelstraClear.
    >
    > The news server has been checked and given a kick. Can you please check
    > to see if these posts are now visible?

    (they are)

    > This is not a case of data allocation which is not an issue anyway, but

    Eh ?

    It certainly seems to still be a regular problem.

    Perhaps someone could explain what's changed here.

    Meanwhile I'll have some of what they're having.

    Mark Robinson, Jul 23, 2007
  14. Dave Doe

    sam Guest

    Rob S wrote:
    > Rob.S. wrote:
    >> thingy wrote:
    >>>>

    >>> I have given up ringing the Clear help desk it is not solving the
    >>> problem.
    >>>
    >>> So I have asked my management to discuss this with Clear at an
    >>> account level. Unfortunately they don't understand what a news server
    >>> is so I am having to explain a few things....
    >>>

    >> And as I couldn't be bothered waiting the 45 - 60 minutes estimate to
    >> speak to a tech that I was given when I tried complaining, I filled in
    >> the form on TC's service page, and got an auto email saying I should
    >> get a reply within 2 days. This was on friday. I imagine weekends are
    >> not included, so I may get a reply tomorrow, but I'm not holding my
    >> breath over it.
    >>
    >> Rob S

    > Seems I have a retraction to make.
    >
    > I just got an email from C customer care. To quote
    >
    > "Thank you for contacting TelstraClear.
    >
    > The news server has been checked and given a kick. Can you please check
    > to see if these posts are now visible?
    > This is not a case of data allocation which is not an issue anyway, but
    > an issue with the news server itself.
    > Apologies for any inconvenience caused.
    >
    > Can you also provide a couple of examples of newsgroups that were
    > affected by this issue. I will create an account and view these from
    > time to time for more proactive checking."
    >
    > I'm now posting this through the TC server and all backposts seem to
    > have come through.
    >
    > So the TC team have earned themselves some kudos.

    Responding to a server problem in less than 5 days certainly earns them
    an apology from me also.
    Sorry for ever doubting their intention to respond to notification of
    faults in a timely manner ! LOL
    sam, Jul 23, 2007
  15. Dave Doe

    sam Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    >> Rob.S. wrote:

    >>> And as I couldn't be bothered waiting the 45 - 60 minutes estimate to
    >>> speak to a tech that I was given when I tried complaining, I filled
    >>> in the form on TC's service page, and got an auto email saying I
    >>> should get a reply within 2 days. This was on friday. I imagine
    >>> weekends are not included, so I may get a reply tomorrow, but I'm not
    >>> holding my breath over it.
    >>>
    >>> Rob S

    >> Seems I have a retraction to make.
    >>
    >> I just got an email from C customer care. To quote
    >>
    >> "Thank you for contacting TelstraClear.
    >>
    >> The news server has been checked and given a kick. Can you please
    >> check to see if these posts are now visible?

    > (they are)
    >
    >> This is not a case of data allocation which is not an issue anyway, but

    > Eh ?
    >
    > It certainly seems to still be a regular problem.
    >
    > Perhaps someone could explain what's changed here.
    >
    > Meanwhile I'll have some of what they're having.

    Their explanation is probably correct as the symptoms were different
    this time.
    Previously it was only international nntp connectivity that stopped
    working, this time all local connectivity stopped as well.
    They were notified on the 19th so they were probably retreating over the
    weekend to a suitable distance to take a good runup to administer their
    kick, or googling for instructions about where to kick it.
    The pisstaking will continue.
    sam, Jul 23, 2007
  16. sam wrote:
    > Mark Robinson wrote:
    >> Rob S wrote:
    >>> Seems I have a retraction to make.
    >>> I just got an email from C customer care. To quote
    >>> "Thank you for contacting TelstraClear.
    >>> The news server has been checked and given a kick. Can you please
    >>> check to see if these posts are now visible?

    >> (they are)
    >>> This is not a case of data allocation which is not an issue anyway, but

    >> Eh ?
    >> It certainly seems to still be a regular problem.
    >> Perhaps someone could explain what's changed here.
    >> Meanwhile I'll have some of what they're having.

    > Their explanation is probably correct as the symptoms were different
    > this time.
    > Previously it was only international nntp connectivity that stopped
    > working, this time all local connectivity stopped as well.
    > They were notified on the 19th so they were probably retreating over the
    > weekend to a suitable distance to take a good runup to administer their
    > kick, or googling for instructions about where to kick it.
    > The pisstaking will continue.

    True, this event seems not to have been the same as the monthly quota overrun
    but did that not happen last month ?
    Mark Robinson, Jul 23, 2007
  17. Dave Doe

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Rob S <Here@home> wrote in news:46a3e160$:

    > Can you also provide a couple of examples of newsgroups that were
    > affected by this issue. I will create an account and view these from
    > time to time for more proactive checking."

    I got a similar response to my ticket. Lets take them up on this offer of
    monitoring.

    I just use nz.comp and nz.tech, but I know that others use some .rec
    groups.
    Name them so they can monitor them... They are offering to monitor, and
    this is the first time I have had a response that mentions the word
    proactive in 3 years IIRC.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Jul 23, 2007
  18. Dave Doe

    Jonno Guest

    "sam" <> wrote in message news:46a31f0a$...
    > Jonno wrote:
    >> "sam" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> I expect that their cap has been maxed out by binary downloads and we
    >>> won't see it connected again till they roll over into a new billing
    >>> period.
    >>> Its about time they dropped binaries.

    >> So who made Sam the TC Usenet Net Cop?
    >> People who download binaries have as much right as anyone else who use
    >> TC.
    >> They still get charged for it on their bill. It's TC who are at fault
    >> here.
    >> Which brings up an interesting thought. As TC people are billed for the
    >> traffic they use these days, is the Usenet really a free add on as ISP's
    >> usually try to suggest. Maybe thats why Xtra cuts the speed down once you
    >> have reached your quota rather than charging you for it. Otherwise they
    >> may have had difficulties explaining that the Usenet was a free service
    >> when they did away with it.
    >> Anyway Sam go sit in a corner and read your latest Harry Potter book.

    > Its only an O P I N I O N, don't throw a big tanty dude.
    > Obviously its not free, someone pays for it, and thats why they have
    > customers, to pay for the services they provide.
    > If they were going to increase their cap they would have done it by now.
    > TC is crap for binaries, always has been, now its getting to be crap for
    > text newsgroups as well. Xtra doesn't have usenet servers at all AFAIK
    > If you want to pirate stuff you can subscribe to Newzbin or similar and
    > still pay for the download, but TC won't have to provide server capacity.
    > So my O P I N I O N is that they should choose to do at least part of the
    > service they do provide properly and continuously.
    > If you have a different O P I N I O N then feel free to express it here,
    > you can, no one is stopping you, its not moderated.
    > Unfortunately hardly anyone is going to see it because it is B O R K E D

    Nope no "tanty" (?) idiot, you said "Its about time they dropped binaries."
    sounds more like a demand than an opinion. Also you have made the same
    demand in the past. And no need to shout either. Anyway you should be
    spending more time doing your schoolwork instead of being on the Usenet.
    Jonno, Jul 23, 2007
  19. Dave Doe

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:32:53 +1200, in message <2tod.net>,
    Mark Robinson wrote:

    > True, this event seems not to have been the same as the monthly quota overrun
    > but did that not happen last month ?

    I didn't see it happening last month (June).
    The Clear/Paradise server did have problems in
    March and in April, but those are the only
    months this year in which I saw problems.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Jul 23, 2007