    heard that already eh.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 18, 2007

  2. Dave Doe wrote:
    > Well... I'm talking to a very helpful young man - who's not aware of the
    > problem - and has escalated it.
    >
    > It seems they have run out of their allocation again. I'm told it will
    > be back on 27th March.
    >
    > He also told me they know where most of it goes - yep, binaries (porn).
    > I suggested they (like most (all?) other ISP's) just ditch the porn
    > binary groups.
    >
    > As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    > again.
    >
    > He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    > heard that already eh.

    Have they used their allocation for port 80 too ?

    I'm having trouble getting a route to http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
    Mark Robinson, Mar 18, 2007

  3. Dave Doe

    Rob Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > Well... I'm talking to a very helpful young man - who's not aware of the
    > problem - and has escalated it.
    >
    > It seems they have run out of their allocation again. I'm told it will
    > be back on 27th March.
    >
    > He also told me they know where most of it goes - yep, binaries (porn).
    > I suggested they (like most (all?) other ISP's) just ditch the porn
    > binary groups.
    >
    > As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    > again.
    >
    > He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    > heard that already eh.
    >
    > --

    I guess you could join up with Google news and send your posts that way.
    It's a waste of time as it is at present.
    Rob, Mar 19, 2007
  4. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <2tod.net>,
    2tod.net says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > Well... I'm talking to a very helpful young man - who's not aware of the
    > > problem - and has escalated it.
    > >
    > > It seems they have run out of their allocation again. I'm told it will
    > > be back on 27th March.
    > >
    > > He also told me they know where most of it goes - yep, binaries (porn).
    > > I suggested they (like most (all?) other ISP's) just ditch the porn
    > > binary groups.
    > >
    > > As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    > > again.
    > >
    > > He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    > > heard that already eh.

    > Have they used their allocation for port 80 too ?
    >
    > I'm having trouble getting a route to http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

    LOL - naa, sorry, it's the immigration site - and irish mate is applying
    for residency and he's had a number of connection or website not
    processing forms problems on it.

    Wouldn't be surprised though.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 19, 2007
  5. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <45fe14fd$>, says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > Well... I'm talking to a very helpful young man - who's not aware of the
    > > problem - and has escalated it.
    > >
    > > It seems they have run out of their allocation again. I'm told it will
    > > be back on 27th March.
    > >
    > > He also told me they know where most of it goes - yep, binaries (porn).
    > > I suggested they (like most (all?) other ISP's) just ditch the porn
    > > binary groups.
    > >
    > > As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    > > again.
    > >
    > > He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    > > heard that already eh.
    > >
    > > --

    > I guess you could join up with Google news and send your posts that way.
    > It's a waste of time as it is at present.

    It doesn't bother me much, I spend more time on news.microsoft.com that
    the Paradise newsserver. OTOH I *need* to use a nice filtering system
    for the paradise server - there's quite a lot of people in my Bozo Bin.
    :)

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 19, 2007
  6. On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:33:15 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:

    > As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    > again.

    It's not working - still can't get any posts from outside of
    TelstraClearSaturnParadisewhatever.

    They should completely drop all the binary groups - they are totally
    wasteful part of Usenet, serve no useful purpose, and cause
    TelstraClearSaturnParadisewhatever to run out of its data allocation
    only TWO weeks into the month.

    > He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    > heard that already eh.

    Did he indicate when they were actually going to make a decision on that?

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Arno Edelmann: "Usually Microsoft doesn't develop products, we buy products."
    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 19, 2007
  7. On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:37:54 +1200, Mathew Good <mg wrote:

    > Plus Internal affaires will not let them..

    What "affaires" are you referring to?

    Dianthus Mimulus, Mar 19, 2007
  8. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:33:15 +1200, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >Well... I'm talking to a very helpful young man - who's not aware of the
    > >problem - and has escalated it.
    > >
    > >It seems they have run out of their allocation again. I'm told it will
    > >be back on 27th March.
    > >
    > >He also told me they know where most of it goes - yep, binaries (porn).
    > >I suggested they (like most (all?) other ISP's) just ditch the porn
    > >binary groups.
    > >
    > >As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    > >again.
    > >
    > >He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    > >heard that already eh.

    > They do not Carry them at all, so why all the Bull/Crap..

    Yes they do.

    > Plus Internal affaires will not let them..

    Yes they do.

    > Some one is pulling the wool over your eyes..

    No - I'm not blind like you Roger.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 19, 2007
  9. Dave Doe

    thingy Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > Well... I'm talking to a very helpful young man - who's not aware of the
    > problem - and has escalated it.
    >
    > It seems they have run out of their allocation again. I'm told it will
    > be back on 27th March.
    >
    > He also told me they know where most of it goes - yep, binaries (porn).
    > I suggested they (like most (all?) other ISP's) just ditch the porn
    > binary groups.
    >
    > As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    > again.
    >
    > He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    > heard that already eh.

    I dont think you can get binaries off them...

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 19, 2007
  10. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, y says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > Well... I'm talking to a very helpful young man - who's not aware of the
    > > problem - and has escalated it.
    > >
    > > It seems they have run out of their allocation again. I'm told it will
    > > be back on 27th March.
    > >
    > > He also told me they know where most of it goes - yep, binaries (porn).
    > > I suggested they (like most (all?) other ISP's) just ditch the porn
    > > binary groups.
    > >
    > > As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    > > again.
    > >
    > > He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    > > heard that already eh.
    > >

    > I dont think you can get binaries off them...

    Why do you say that?

    There are 952 groups beginning alt.binaries.pictures - just paging
    through them I'd say over half of those are porn.

    I have no problem with binary groups - some people like to get pictures
    of planes or trains etc. But the porn can go.

    Surely it's easy for them to do that.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 19, 2007
  11. Dave Doe

    thingy Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>, y says...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> Well... I'm talking to a very helpful young man - who's not aware of the
    >>> problem - and has escalated it.
    >>>
    >>> It seems they have run out of their allocation again. I'm told it will
    >>> be back on 27th March.
    >>>
    >>> He also told me they know where most of it goes - yep, binaries (porn).
    >>> I suggested they (like most (all?) other ISP's) just ditch the porn
    >>> binary groups.
    >>>
    >>> As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    >>> again.
    >>>
    >>> He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    >>> heard that already eh.
    >>>

    >> I dont think you can get binaries off them...

    > Why do you say that?

    Hmmm, last time I looked, which was 2 odd years ago binaries did not
    turn up...I assumed they were blocking them.....

    > There are 952 groups beginning alt.binaries.pictures - just paging
    > through them I'd say over half of those are porn.
    >
    > I have no problem with binary groups - some people like to get pictures
    > of planes or trains etc. But the porn can go.
    >
    > Surely it's easy for them to do that.

    With inn you can ban binaries groups...which are your biggest bandwidth
    and disk space chewers....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Mar 19, 2007
  12. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, y
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:

    > >> I dont think you can get binaries off them...

    > > Why do you say that?

    > Hmmm, last time I looked, which was 2 odd years ago binaries did not
    > turn up...I assumed they were blocking them.....
    >
    > > There are 952 groups beginning alt.binaries.pictures - just paging
    > > through them I'd say over half of those are porn.
    > >
    > > I have no problem with binary groups - some people like to get pictures
    > > of planes or trains etc. But the porn can go.
    > >
    > > Surely it's easy for them to do that.
    > >

    > With inn you can ban binaries groups...which are your biggest bandwidth
    > and disk space chewers....

    Perhaps their problem is the way in which they peer. Have you noted for
    eg. when you go to a rarely used group - you get a message (from the
    peer server it seems) that says something to the effect that no messages
    have been downloaded for the group, but now you've visited, we'll get
    'em.

    So I'm wondering if TS have control over that. But yes, surely they can
    control what they have got once it's on their own server.

    I'll be very dissapointed if they drop nttp.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 19, 2007
  13. Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>, y says...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>> Well... I'm talking to a very helpful young man - who's not aware of the
    >>> problem - and has escalated it.
    >>>
    >>> It seems they have run out of their allocation again. I'm told it will
    >>> be back on 27th March.
    >>>
    >>> He also told me they know where most of it goes - yep, binaries (porn).
    >>> I suggested they (like most (all?) other ISP's) just ditch the porn
    >>> binary groups.
    >>>
    >>> As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    >>> again.
    >>>
    >>> He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    >>> heard that already eh.
    >>>

    >> I dont think you can get binaries off them...

    > Why do you say that?
    >
    > There are 952 groups beginning alt.binaries.pictures - just paging
    > through them I'd say over half of those are porn.
    >
    > I have no problem with binary groups - some people like to get pictures
    > of planes or trains etc. But the porn can go.
    >
    > Surely it's easy for them to do that.

    Indeed and their new CEO dispatched the porn cable tv channel as one of his
    first acts. No loss.

    Telstra could still save Telstraclear by cleaning out the braindead Clear
    management team and try and reestablish the lean intelligent customer focused
    team responsible for the extraordinary growth that motivated them to buy the
    Saturn/Paradise business in the first place.

    The mismanagement of the NNTP service is symptomatic of this malaise.

    The wilful destruction of the market leading Paradise brand by the incoming
    Clear management team happened simply for reasons of ego and slashed millions
    off the goodwill value of the business as a whole.

    Many others here will like me have been forced onto a new plan with less
    services and a telstraclear dns entry rather than a paradise one. The letter
    advising me of this change asserted that this change was necessary and yet the
    old equipment I was connected to is still in use to this day. How is this not
    fraud ?

    Back in the day I was sending Saturn/Paradise roughly one customer a month.
    It's well over two years since I recommended them to anyone.
    Mark Robinson, Mar 19, 2007
  14. Dave Doe

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <2tod.net>,
    2tod.net says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:

    > >> I dont think you can get binaries off them...

    > > Why do you say that?
    > >
    > > There are 952 groups beginning alt.binaries.pictures - just paging
    > > through them I'd say over half of those are porn.
    > >
    > > I have no problem with binary groups - some people like to get pictures
    > > of planes or trains etc. But the porn can go.
    > >
    > > Surely it's easy for them to do that.

    > Indeed and their new CEO dispatched the porn cable tv channel as one of his
    > first acts. No loss.
    >
    > Telstra could still save Telstraclear by cleaning out the braindead Clear
    > management team and try and reestablish the lean intelligent customer focused
    > team responsible for the extraordinary growth that motivated them to buy the
    > Saturn/Paradise business in the first place.
    >
    > The mismanagement of the NNTP service is symptomatic of this malaise.
    >
    > The wilful destruction of the market leading Paradise brand by the incoming
    > Clear management team happened simply for reasons of ego and slashed millions
    > off the goodwill value of the business as a whole.
    >
    > Many others here will like me have been forced onto a new plan with less
    > services and a telstraclear dns entry rather than a paradise one. The letter
    > advising me of this change asserted that this change was necessary and yet the
    > old equipment I was connected to is still in use to this day. How is this not
    > fraud ?
    >
    > Back in the day I was sending Saturn/Paradise roughly one customer a month.
    > It's well over two years since I recommended them to anyone.

    They've been reading us? - we're back! (hopefully not just temporarily
    too).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Mar 19, 2007
  15. Dave Doe

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:43:49 +1200, Allistar <> wrote:

    >Dianthus Mimulus wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 10:33:15 +1200, Dave Doe wrote:
    >>
    >>> As much as that might piss a lotta yer off - at least usenet is working
    >>> again.

    >> It's not working - still can't get any posts from outside of
    >> TelstraClearSaturnParadisewhatever.
    >>
    >> They should completely drop all the binary groups - they are totally
    >> wasteful part of Usenet, serve no useful purpose, and cause
    >> TelstraClearSaturnParadisewhatever to run out of its data allocation
    >> only TWO weeks into the month.

    >The problem is the allocation. They should just increase it. The existence
    >of binary groups is not the problem, the problem is T/C being too tight
    >fisted with their money.
    >
    >>> He also told me they are looking at increased allocation, but we've
    >>> heard that already eh.

    >> Did he indicate when they were actually going to make a decision on that?

    >Allistar.

    Plus no Updates of the Groups for some 3 years..
    Mathew Good, Mar 20, 2007
  16. Dave Doe

    Allistar Guest

    Allistar, Mar 20, 2007
  17. Dave Doe

    Dave Taylor Guest

    thingy <> wrote in news::

    > Hmmm, last time I looked, which was 2 odd years ago binaries did not
    > turn up...I assumed they were blocking them.....
    >
    >> There are 952 groups beginning alt.binaries.pictures - just paging
    >> through them I'd say over half of those are porn.
    >>
    >> I have no problem with binary groups - some people like to get pictures
    >> of planes or trains etc. But the porn can go.
    >>
    >> Surely it's easy for them to do that.
    >>

    > With inn you can ban binaries groups...which are your biggest bandwidth
    > and disk space chewers....

    They could change the retention on alt.binaries. It is already really poor
    anyways. So poor you have to use hamster if you want to decode them to get
    completes.

    Binaries are very poor on clear's NNTP. Looking at headers is one thing,
    actually downloading the bodies is another. Incompletes are all over the
    place.
    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Mar 21, 2007
  18. Dave Doe

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-03-21, Dave Taylor <> wrote:

    > They could change the retention on alt.binaries. It is already really poor
    > anyways. So poor you have to use hamster if you want to decode them to get
    > completes.
    >
    > Binaries are very poor on clear's NNTP. Looking at headers is one thing,
    > actually downloading the bodies is another. Incompletes are all over the
    > place.

    What software are they running? ( telnet news.clear.net.nz 119 )

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Mar 23, 2007
  19. Dave Doe

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 21 Mar 2007 23:37:48 +1200, in message <Xns98FAF060C7605daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>,
    Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Binaries are very poor on clear's NNTP. Looking at headers is one thing,
    > actually downloading the bodies is another. Incompletes are all over the
    > place.

    There are some incompletes, yes.

    However, I find that completeness is better than it used to be on
    the old Paradise NNTP server back when that was a separate server
    to the Clear NNTP server. Back then, very few multipart binaries
    were complete -- I would commonly see only one part of each
    multipart binary.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Mar 24, 2007
  20. Dave Doe

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On 23 Mar 2007 10:00:42 GMT, in message <eu08ga$2ne$-a-geek.org>,
    jasen wrote:

    > > Binaries are very poor on clear's NNTP. Looking at headers is one thing,
    > > actually downloading the bodies is another. Incompletes are all over the
    > > place.

    > What software are they running? ( telnet news.clear.net.nz 119 )

    DNEWS Version 5.4g5

    As an aside: news.clear.net.nz supports XHDR for all headers, so
    NNTP client software which provides for filtering on any header, is
    actually able to do so when using news.clear.net.nz.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Mar 24, 2007