Trying to understand and implement VLAN's using D-Link products

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mike_in_Nebraska, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. Running SBS 2003 Premium SP2, SQL, Exchange, ISA 2004 (Microsoft's
    software firewall), WSUS 3.0, 2 NIC's and a router (the internal NIC
    is 802.1Q capable), dynamic IP from ISP, DDNS service through
    dyndns.org (to mitigate the problems of a dynamic IP), D-Link's
    DES-3828 (802.1Q capable, and is a managed switch), wired LAN, and 5
    AP's - DWL-2200AP's. One is wired to the switch (for now) and
    communicates with the other 4 WAP's.

    Please forgive me in advance for asking what is/are surely novice
    questions.

    I am the tech guy for a conservation nonprofit organization. I've had
    training in Microsoft technoligies and products, but am not an IT
    professional. I learn as I go, and by prowling the Internet and
    newsgroups/forums.

    The problem I have I've spent many hours these past couple weeks
    discussing with D-Link's tech support, and with posters to
    microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs. No luck so far, but I feel we're
    close. I stumbled on this newsgroup today and it seems a perfect
    opportunity to ask a question or two. But first, I should describe
    what I'm trying to do.

    We have 4 out-buildings with residents or day workers (we house many
    researchers and graduate students for various lengths of time). I
    have a requirement to provide LAN access to designated persons, and to
    also provide internet ONLY access to everyone and guests/visitors for
    their off-time use. Based on advice from my local Microsoft vendor (a
    certified Gold Partner), I bought the D-Link WAP's and Switch so I
    could setup VLANs. I ahve the Internal NIC on Port 2, the primary WAP
    on Port 5 and all others are the wired clients on the LAN. I've
    created 4 VLAN's ( and have not yet configured the WAP's with them);
    they are (1) default, with all ports as members and all tagged, (2)
    Internet Mode, with Port 2 only, and it is the only one tagged, (3)
    LAN, with all ports but Port 5 on it and all those tagged, with Port 5
    checked as Forbidden, and (4) WLAN, with Ports 2 and 5 on it and both
    tagged.

    My question(s) for this forum are: How do I take this to the
    conclusion I want? Can I do it with what I have, or do I need more
    equipment? (As a nonprofit, money for IT is always tight, so I'd like
    to keep costs as low as possible.)

    Many thanks in advance!

    Mike
    Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.
    a IRS 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
    Mike_in_Nebraska, Jun 10, 2007