Trying to reorganise bookmarks...

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by no-spam, Mar 19, 2005.

  1. no-spam

    no-spam Guest

    having ended up with a disorganised collection of bookmarks -
    imported from a bunch of files -

    I'm finding that organising them more logically
    is not as straight-forward as I thought...

    an example makes it clearer:

    in the Bookmarks Manager window

    doing a search for fire
    produces a list of all links that contain that string

    but try to move the members of that list...

    drag and drop doesn't work
    and cut and paste seems to only COPY rather than CUT -

    Firefox 1.0.1 - on XP

    so - at the moment - the most practical way seems to be:
    install the Extension "Favorites Convertor (export)"
    ( which exports Bookmarks as IE Favorites )
    sort them as IE favorites in Windows Explorer
    and then re-import them into Firefox...

    unless I'm overlooking something very obvious, that is
    any suggestions ???
    no-spam, Mar 19, 2005

  2. no-spam

    Ed Mullen Guest

    no-spam wrote:

    > having ended up with a disorganised collection of bookmarks -
    > imported from a bunch of files -
    >
    > I'm finding that organising them more logically
    > is not as straight-forward as I thought...
    >
    > an example makes it clearer:
    >
    > in the Bookmarks Manager window
    >
    > doing a search for fire
    > produces a list of all links that contain that string
    >
    > but try to move the members of that list...
    >
    > drag and drop doesn't work
    > and cut and paste seems to only COPY rather than CUT -
    >
    > Firefox 1.0.1 - on XP
    >
    > so - at the moment - the most practical way seems to be:
    > install the Extension "Favorites Convertor (export)"
    > ( which exports Bookmarks as IE Favorites )
    > sort them as IE favorites in Windows Explorer
    > and then re-import them into Firefox...
    >

    > unless I'm overlooking something very obvious, that is
    > any suggestions ???

    You cannot really do anything with the results of the bookmarks find.
    Yes, it's annoying and silly. That said, I much prefer the bookmarks
    manager over the IE Favorites organizer. Try using that to drag and
    drop. If you need to actually find a particular bookmark in context,
    open bookmarks.html in a browser window and do a CTRL-F find. It'll
    show you the context and then you can easily find it in bookmarks manager.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Mar 19, 2005

  3. no-spam

    Splibbilla Guest

    no-spam <> in news:d1hmua$ouo$:

    > so - at the moment - the most practical way seems to be:
    > install the Extension "Favorites Convertor (export)"
    > ( which exports Bookmarks as IE Favorites )
    > sort them as IE favorites in Windows Explorer
    > and then re-import them into Firefox...

    you might be able to use ie's import.

    then use windows search within fav folder to find duplicates.
    and maybe have an alt 'shell' such as xplorer2 to help you see as you rearrange locations of urls

    i've tried some bkmk mgrs.
    am-deadlink is good, but has some annoyances when deleting in it's dupefind mode.

    ie favs are great, but they eat disk space.

    currently 590 files, 81 foldres in my favs
    117 KB but 2.30 MB on disk!!
    largest bkmk.htm among my profiles
    1.12 MB , 1.13 MB on disk. deadlink says i've got 4193 bkmks.
    ratios url:diskMB are:
    ie 590:2.30
    moz 4193:1.13

    (i've since cleaned that to about half the size. deadlink says i've got 518 bkmks. )

    ff bookmark menus have been acting 'jumpy' as i've reached 1.38 MB (1.39 MB on disk) size of bkmk file.

    --
    1 WinXp,Ff1.0.1GoogleBar, Sage
    2 WinMe, Moz1.7.5Gecko/20041217, all profiles: GoogleBar/XPI-rimental,PrefBar,bugmenot,,, and???CopyURL, IEView.
    Splibbilla, Mar 20, 2005