Trying to make an old machine work

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Charlie Bress, Sep 6, 2003.

  1. Next door neighbor has a Gateway 2000, Pentium 2, Win 98.
    The original hard drive went belly-up.
    I had an old drive salvaged from a Compaq box of about the same vintage.
    Swapped the drives and things seemed to work. Of course, the system info
    that was stored on the old drive was for a different make machine and the
    system kept finding all the "new to it" hardware. Most of the stuff on the
    replacement drive had been cleaned off, but the Windows 98 stuff was left on
    it. After recognizing all the hardware, the system seemed to be working.

    Then, to try and keep things familiar to the user, I suggested that he run
    the restore CDROM and get back to the sort of things he was used to. That
    was done ( I wasn't there) and apparently loaded Win 95. The user now
    tried to install Win98 from the CDROM that came with the box. Now the
    problems began

    After 98 was installed, the system went to do its automatic reboot. The
    reboot failed saying "no system disc" That's when I got the call for help
    again. I tried doing a new reinstall of Win98. Same result. There were two
    choices presented. Start from HD or start from CD. Neither works, still
    reports no system disc.

    I looked at setup as the box did a reboot. The boot order was CD, floppy,
    HD. I reordered them to floppy, HD CD. Still no good. I tried the 98 startup
    disc. Somewhere along the goings on was the message that there was no path
    to command.com and a couple of other files and suggesting there was not
    enough memory. This box was shipped with 32MB and is now sitting at 96MB so
    that seems unlikely to be the problem.

    Attempting to go back to square one, I decided to do a full restore in case
    my neighbor had missed or misinterpreted some message or option. Now I can't
    even get the restore CD to be recognized.
    Charlie Bress, Sep 6, 2003

  2. Charlie Bress

    jeroen Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Next door neighbor has a Gateway 2000, Pentium 2, Win 98.
    > The original hard drive went belly-up.

    <snip>seems unlikely to be the problem.

    > Attempting to go back to square one, I decided to do a full restore in case
    > my neighbor had missed or misinterpreted some message or option. Now I can't
    > even get the restore CD to be recognized.

    Get a bootable floppy or cd, format the thing, run a fresh win98 (se if
    you can get it) and start fresh.

    --
    Met vriendelijke groeten/Best regards
    Jeroen Wijnands
    jeroen, Sep 6, 2003

  3. "jeroen" <4all.nl> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says> > Attempting to go back to square one, I decided to do a full

    restore in case
    > > my neighbor had missed or misinterpreted some message or option. Now I

    can't
    > > even get the restore CD to be recognized.
    > >

    > Get a bootable floppy or cd, format the thing, run a fresh win98 (se if
    > you can get it) and start fresh.

    The restore CD should be bootable, but it won't.

    Charlie
    Charlie Bress, Sep 6, 2003
  4. Charlie Bress

    °Mike° Guest

    Did you check the correct BIOS parameters for the replacement
    hard drive? Have you checked that the bootup floppy is the
    correct system disk, if you are booting from it? If you aren't
    booting from floppy, have you made sure that it is removed
    from the drive during bootup?

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 16:02:09 -0400, in
    <>
    Charlie Bress scrawled:

    >Next door neighbor has a Gateway 2000, Pentium 2, Win 98.
    >The original hard drive went belly-up.
    >I had an old drive salvaged from a Compaq box of about the same vintage.
    >Swapped the drives and things seemed to work. Of course, the system info
    >that was stored on the old drive was for a different make machine and the
    >system kept finding all the "new to it" hardware. Most of the stuff on the
    >replacement drive had been cleaned off, but the Windows 98 stuff was left on
    >it. After recognizing all the hardware, the system seemed to be working.
    >
    >Then, to try and keep things familiar to the user, I suggested that he run
    >the restore CDROM and get back to the sort of things he was used to. That
    >was done ( I wasn't there) and apparently loaded Win 95. The user now
    >tried to install Win98 from the CDROM that came with the box. Now the
    >problems began
    >
    >After 98 was installed, the system went to do its automatic reboot. The
    >reboot failed saying "no system disc" That's when I got the call for help
    >again. I tried doing a new reinstall of Win98. Same result. There were two
    >choices presented. Start from HD or start from CD. Neither works, still
    >reports no system disc.
    >
    >I looked at setup as the box did a reboot. The boot order was CD, floppy,
    >HD. I reordered them to floppy, HD CD. Still no good. I tried the 98 startup
    >disc. Somewhere along the goings on was the message that there was no path
    >to command.com and a couple of other files and suggesting there was not
    >enough memory. This box was shipped with 32MB and is now sitting at 96MB so
    >that seems unlikely to be the problem.
    >
    >Attempting to go back to square one, I decided to do a full restore in case
    >my neighbor had missed or misinterpreted some message or option. Now I can't
    >even get the restore CD to be recognized.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 6, 2003
  5. Charlie Bress

    Budweiser Guest

    had similr troubles with a medion machine---not sure wether this will apply
    to you
    some "brands" like/need to install a small partition to the hard drive that
    you can not see(well if you use fdisk it is there)-like the compaq for
    example--without the system tools on this partition you can not do
    anything---try using only the supplied discs (restore)to restore the system
    and see how it runs--not ideal but that seems to be the architecture of some
    mass produced machines
    just my 0.2
    budweiser

    Budweiser, Sep 6, 2003
  6. Charlie Bress

    Patrick Guest

    Charlie Bress wrote:
    > Next door neighbor has a Gateway 2000, Pentium 2, Win 98.
    > The original hard drive went belly-up.
    > I had an old drive salvaged from a Compaq box of about the same
    > vintage. Swapped the drives and things seemed to work. Of course,
    > the system info that was stored on the old drive was for a different
    > make machine and the system kept finding all the "new to it"
    > hardware. Most of the stuff on the replacement drive had been cleaned
    > off, but the Windows 98 stuff was left on it. After recognizing all
    > the hardware, the system seemed to be working.
    >
    > Then, to try and keep things familiar to the user, I suggested that
    > he run the restore CDROM and get back to the sort of things he was
    > used to. That was done ( I wasn't there) and apparently loaded Win
    > 95. The user now tried to install Win98 from the CDROM that came with
    > the box. Now the problems began
    >
    > After 98 was installed, the system went to do its automatic reboot.
    > The reboot failed saying "no system disc" That's when I got the call
    > for help again. I tried doing a new reinstall of Win98. Same result.
    > There were two choices presented. Start from HD or start from CD.
    > Neither works, still reports no system disc.
    >
    > I looked at setup as the box did a reboot. The boot order was CD,
    > floppy, HD. I reordered them to floppy, HD CD. Still no good. I tried
    > the 98 startup disc. Somewhere along the goings on was the message
    > that there was no path to command.com and a couple of other files and
    > suggesting there was not enough memory. This box was shipped with
    > 32MB and is now sitting at 96MB so that seems unlikely to be the
    > problem.
    >
    > Attempting to go back to square one, I decided to do a full restore
    > in case my neighbor had missed or misinterpreted some message or
    > option. Now I can't even get the restore CD to be recognized.

    You are, I believe, wishing to use the 95-restore-disc that you say is
    self-booting.
    Said self-boot cannot occur if the corrupt HD picks up the the boot-process
    before the CD.

    Set the boot order to 'Floppy', 'CD', 'HDD', this way to boot from the HD
    you have only to have nothing in the floppy or CD, or to boot from the CD
    have nothing in the floppy.
    If it is that the Restore CD still isn't recognised then you will need a
    W95-bootfloppy.

    If you are going to put W98 on first then you will need a W98-bootfloppy.

    Both of said boot-floppy can be created from files downloaded from
    bootdisk.com
    or a more direct link to get requied files is
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Download the files that closest match the two OS's you have.
    I suggest you choose the files at bootdisk.com that HAVE 'Ramdisk'-support,
    as you can bypass said 'Ramdisk'-support when you boot from the created
    boot-disk.

    The files/progs need to be 'Run' from a Windows enviroment.
    The files/progs when 'run' will prompt you to insert a floppy, the prog will
    then create a bootable floppy that has drivers for your CD on it
    (auto-installs), along with everything else needed.
    Patrick, Sep 6, 2003
  7. Charlie Bress

    Don Guest

    Or...... **** it all and give up! whats the point? buy a new one for
    peanuts!
    Don, Sep 7, 2003
  8. "Don" <> wrote in message
    > Or...... **** it all and give up! whats the point? buy a new one for
    > peanuts!

    First of all we might learn something.
    Second of all if it was peanuts that would be ok.
    Third of all, don't shoot from the hip unless you know what you are shooting
    at.
    I hope you are gainfully employed, my neighbor is not.
    Charlie Bress, Sep 7, 2003
  9. Charlie Bress

    bruce Guest

    try changing the hdd ide cable, had that prob before!

    bruce, Sep 7, 2003
  10. Charlie Bress

    Rosco Guest

    For some odd reason gateway motherboards are picky with the old
    machines, and some of the newer ones. Like "bruce" said, try reversing
    the IDE cables. By default The hard drive should be on the primary slot
    with its jumper set to single and the CD-ROM should be on the secondary
    slot. If you are still having problems, locate the system serial number
    then use the gateway website to find and download the BIOS for this
    machine. If you can not locate the serial number, then you will have to
    search for the model number. After flashing the BIOS use the system
    restore disk first to reformat the drive and install the gateway drivers
    (automatic). It will prompt you to remove the CD and reboot. The system
    should then instruct you to insert the windows cd and proceed with
    installation. If you still encounter problems, you may want to contact
    gateway technical support at 1-800-GATEWAY (1-800-428-3929) Sometimes
    the techs are cool and will help even though the warranty for support
    may have been allowed to expire.

    Keep in mind when pruchasing a gateway computer, gateway allows you to
    extend your technicall support warranty a very long time. I belive mine
    expires in some year with an 8, I am thinking 2028 but that sounds
    waaaay to far off.

    Rosco, Sep 7, 2003
  11. Charlie Bress

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Charlie Bress continued:

    > "jeroen" <4all.nl> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> says> > Attempting to go back to square one, I decided to do a full

    > restore in case
    >>> my neighbor had missed or misinterpreted some message or option.
    >>> Now I can't even get the restore CD to be recognized.
    >>>

    >> Get a bootable floppy or cd, format the thing, run a fresh win98
    >> (se if you can get it) and start fresh.

    > The restore CD should be bootable, but it won't.

    Dump the disc and use a bootable floppy
    --
    slumpy
    no more