    ?

    --
    tsartele

    tsartele, Jun 29, 2008

  2. The "AMD64" reference is simply the standard name for all 64bit operating
    systems that have the x86 instruction set backwards compatibility. It
    refers to AMD and Intel both. It is called "AMD64" because the first cpu in
    the class was AMD so the honor of naming the whole class goes to AMD. The
    "x86" class was named after the Intel 8086 cpu which was the first in the
    long line of 32bit cpus, including AMD's, which were compatible with the
    32bit intruction set we have all been using these many years.

    See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812580. It is apparently an ACPI
    issue. If ACPI can be disabled in the BIOS, do so.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 29, 2008

  3. Colin -
    I thought ACPI had to be _enabled_ for XP x64? I know that's how I run,
    at least.

    --
    Charlie Russel
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 29, 2008
  4. Then I'll bet he has a problem. I was going by a Google on the error and
    didn't think about what you are telling me now. Sorry.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 29, 2008
  5. My memory (and I've have to go read my own WPs to be sure<G>) is that ACPI
    v2 needs to be enabled in the BIOS.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 29, 2008
  6. tsartele

    Carlos Guest

    Will there be a time when our memory can be upgraded so easily as a PC?
    Or is it that our backup battery drains out when we sleep and we lose data
    (our own memories), thus not remembering things and having to resort to
    written documents?
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 30, 2008
  7. I look at sleep as the human equivalent of rebooting. Whatever was in memory
    is gone, it's only the long term storage that's persistent. And by the time
    you get to as many hours on the storage as I have, it starts to be
    unreliable. ;)

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 1, 2008