Trying to Install Maxtor SATA on a Gigabyte mb

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ken C, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Ken C

    Ken C Guest

    I have a Maxtor 80 GB SATA HDD (6Y180M0) i'm trying to install on a Gigabyte
    GA-7VAXP Ultra with an existing IDE Western Digital ATA100 80GB.

    I am not trying to activate RAID on my system at all and I have tried
    everything I know.

    On bootup before windows I have a message telling me that it has recognised
    the Maxtor HDD and when in Windows XP under System Hardware profiles, I can
    see the Maxtor SATA HDD as well. I just can't format and start using it like
    another drive.

    I visit Maxtor's site, it says to download their MaxBlast software to enable
    me to format the HDD but when trying to run the program it says there is a
    floppy drive error (can't read my drive, no disk in drive or drive failure).
    I have a LS-120 floppy. So I install a regular 3.25" floppy and I still get
    the same msg (so I know it is not the LS-120).

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Ken C, Oct 19, 2003