Trying to install a 3rd hard drive w/an IDE controller on Win98SE....

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mal Content, Feb 18, 2005.

  1. Mal Content

    Mal Content Guest

    I'm having some trouble with an IDE controller card I installed, which I
    want to connect a storage drive to. This will be the third drive in
    this particular PC, with the other two drives chained together as master
    & slave and connected to an IDE controller on the motherboard.

    My PC(Windows 98SE) sees the IDE controller card and the third hard
    drive through the boot sequence. One problem I ran into was that the
    non-RAID driver wouldn't install, but the RAID driver did. It shows up
    as a SCSI controller in Device Manager. So, OK there, I guess.

    But this is where I get confused. Am I even able to configure this hard
    drive the way I'd like? My C: drive is the primary partition and the D:
    drive is configured as the extended partition.

    Oh, and it's a Silicon Image SIL 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA RAID
    controller that I'm using. Worthwhile brand or not?

    I tried googling a solution, but so far, nothing.

    Could the RAID driver be screwing things up here?

    Hope someone can help me with this situation.
    Mal Content, Feb 18, 2005

  2. Mal Content

    psion Guest

    May be related:
    I have a raid controller with only one drive on it, and it works fine.

    Suggestion:
    Maybe you can format your hard drive, if you can see it in your system, and
    continue using raid drivers.

    psion, Feb 18, 2005

  3. Mal Content

    James Mourby Guest

    "Mal Content" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having some trouble with an IDE controller card I installed, which I
    > want to connect a storage drive to. This will be the third drive in this
    > particular PC, with the other two drives chained together as master &
    > slave and connected to an IDE controller on the motherboard.
    >
    > My PC(Windows 98SE) sees the IDE controller card and the third hard drive
    > through the boot sequence. One problem I ran into was that the non-RAID
    > driver wouldn't install, but the RAID driver did. It shows up as a SCSI
    > controller in Device Manager. So, OK there, I guess.
    >
    > But this is where I get confused. Am I even able to configure this hard
    > drive the way I'd like? My C: drive is the primary partition and the D:
    > drive is configured as the extended partition.
    >
    > Oh, and it's a Silicon Image SIL 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA RAID controller
    > that I'm using. Worthwhile brand or not?
    >
    > I tried googling a solution, but so far, nothing.
    >
    > Could the RAID driver be screwing things up here?
    >
    > Hope someone can help me with this situation.

    No too sure on the technical part, although due to me only having a single 2
    ide channel motherboard (rest are sata) I run my 3rd hard drive on the pci
    ata controller.

    You should when set up see it just like any other drive in 'My Computer'.
    When you install the drive, it may not appear in there, however if you go
    into control panel>administrative options>computer management>disk
    management, you should see the drive in there where you can format it, give
    it a drive letter after which it SHOULD show up as normal in windows.
    (Assuming you have jumpers, cables etc correct)

    James
    James Mourby, Feb 18, 2005
  4. Mal Content

    Stevo Guest

    Mal Content wrote:
    > I'm having some trouble with an IDE controller card I installed,
    > which I want to connect a storage drive to. This will be the third
    > drive in this particular PC, with the other two drives chained
    > together as master & slave and connected to an IDE controller on the
    > motherboard.
    > My PC(Windows 98SE) sees the IDE controller card and the third hard
    > drive through the boot sequence. One problem I ran into was that the
    > non-RAID driver wouldn't install, but the RAID driver did. It shows
    > up as a SCSI controller in Device Manager. So, OK there, I guess.
    >
    > But this is where I get confused. Am I even able to configure this
    > hard drive the way I'd like? My C: drive is the primary partition
    > and the D: drive is configured as the extended partition.
    >
    > Oh, and it's a Silicon Image SIL 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA RAID
    > controller that I'm using. Worthwhile brand or not?
    >
    > I tried googling a solution, but so far, nothing.
    >
    > Could the RAID driver be screwing things up here?
    >
    > Hope someone can help me with this situation.

    Do you see a BIOS screen for the Silicon Image card when you boot up?

    From fixing up a PC with one of these cards installed, I seem to recall
    something like F3 will get you into that BIOS and you have to set
    NON-Raid in there...

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)
    Stevo, Feb 18, 2005
  5. Mal Content

    dadiOH Guest

    Mal Content wrote:
    > I'm having some trouble with an IDE controller card I installed,
    > which I want to connect a storage drive to. This will be the third
    > drive in this particular PC, with the other two drives chained
    > together as master & slave and connected to an IDE controller on the
    > motherboard.
    >
    > My PC(Windows 98SE) sees the IDE controller card and the third hard
    > drive through the boot sequence. One problem I ran into was that the
    > non-RAID driver wouldn't install, but the RAID driver did. It shows
    > up as a SCSI controller in Device Manager. So, OK there, I guess.
    >
    > But this is where I get confused. Am I even able to configure this
    > hard drive the way I'd like? My C: drive is the primary partition
    > and the D: drive is configured as the extended partition.

    Who knows? You didn't say what you wanted to do.
    ______________________

    > Oh, and it's a Silicon Image SIL 0680 Ultra-133 Medley ATA RAID
    > controller that I'm using. Worthwhile brand or not?

    Mine works fine.
    _______________________

    > I tried googling a solution,

    A solution for what?
    _______________________

    > Could the RAID driver be screwing things up here?

    How is a poor boy to know? Screwing up what?

    > Hope someone can help me with this situation.

    You mean the lack of your explaining what your problem is?

    You did fdisk/format the drive, right?

    --
    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...