Trying to get started, just don't know how.........

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Jason Johnson, Mar 5, 2007.

  1. I've just recently joined this news group and would like to start this by
    saying it's amazing, I never knew there were so many people out there
    willing to help one another. Ok well here is my question that I am asking,
    not sure if I should even be asking but here I go. I have been fixing
    computers for friends and family for about 5 years now and I've decided that
    I'd like to work full-time doing so. I've taken about 6-8 courses in
    college for computers in everything from PC and Hardware Support to Windows
    Server 2003. I don't have any technical background to land any job in the
    I.T. Technical field. My books for the Mcdst tests are in the mail right
    now. I am just asking does anyone have any suggestions on how I should
    approach job hunting? I list my skills on my resume' but when employers
    read them they don't pay attention to the part in bold that says FOR FRIENDS
    AND FAMILY. Then when I go to sit at an interview, they say "we see that
    you have listed your experience with computers and networking, but we don't
    see it in your job history". This is the most frustrating thing ever. I'm
    in central New Jersey, by the way. Any help/advice would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,

    Jason

    Jason Johnson, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Jason Johnson

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Jason Johnson" wrote:

    > I've just recently joined this news group and would like to start this by
    > saying it's amazing, I never knew there were so many people out there
    > willing to help one another. Ok well here is my question that I am asking,
    > not sure if I should even be asking but here I go. I have been fixing
    > computers for friends and family for about 5 years now and I've decided that
    > I'd like to work full-time doing so. I've taken about 6-8 courses in
    > college for computers in everything from PC and Hardware Support to Windows
    > Server 2003. I don't have any technical background to land any job in the
    > I.T. Technical field. My books for the Mcdst tests are in the mail right
    > now. I am just asking does anyone have any suggestions on how I should
    > approach job hunting? I list my skills on my resume' but when employers
    > read them they don't pay attention to the part in bold that says FOR FRIENDS
    > AND FAMILY. Then when I go to sit at an interview, they say "we see that
    > you have listed your experience with computers and networking, but we don't
    > see it in your job history". This is the most frustrating thing ever. I'm
    > in central New Jersey, by the way. Any help/advice would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Jason

    Hello Jason

    You are getting interviews at last, so you must be doing something right!

    What work experience did you have before deciding to go into IT? Do you
    have experience of helping users in those jobs with IT-related problems (even
    if that wasn't your primary role)? Do you have in-depth knowledge of a
    particular industry that you could bring to an IT role? I say this because I
    spent over 20 years working as a secretary for various law firms. I have
    worked on the Help Desk of one major law firm and and am now working as a DST
    for another large law firm!

    I would say that, to bridge the gap from secretary to IT Help Desk Analyst,
    I did have to take a very poorly paid trainee position for a few months in
    order to get that all-important first step on the IT ladder. You may have to
    do the same.

    However, when I went for my interview for the Help Desk position at the
    first law firm, the fact that I knew how lawyers "did things" and was
    familiar with the terminology and the types of software they used was IMO a
    major factor in my getting the job.

    All the best.

    IT Girl

    TheITGirl, Mar 5, 2007

  3. As far as having work related experience I worked for an insurance company,
    was really the go to guy for pc problems, there was a small network for the
    machines that we worked with, I was also the go to guy for that too. I was
    told to list my skills and abilities on my resume' so I did but it seems
    that when I did employers wanted to see it in my career history which I was
    unable to provide. I have plenty of knowledge in I.T but I don't know it
    all obviously. I am aware that I will possibly have to take a lower paying
    job but it seems tough to find that job. Most jobs say entry level but want
    a 2yr degree or equivalent work experience. I thank you for your response
    IT Girl. It's tough and frustrating but I know in due time i'll gain the
    job I seek. It's just the road seems quite dark at the moment.

    Jason Johnson, Mar 5, 2007
  4. Tell them you were an "independent consultant" working for yourself. Not
    necessarily a lie. :) That is what you were doing!

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 5, 2007
  5. Know the topics you can troubleshoot and list them on your resume. Can you
    troubleshoot TCP/IP problems? Can you troubleshoot hardware failures? Can
    you trouble a Cisco PIX firewall having an issue? Can you troubleshoot an
    Active Directory/Domain issue? Can you troubleshoot DHCP, DNS servers or
    Disaster Recovery? There are MANY things to troubleshoot. Get to know your
    strengths and weaknesses. Believe me i'm in the same boat. Some big
    weaknesses of mine right now are Tape Cartridge backups going awry and the
    Windows 2000 Server. Hopefully in time I am going to start listing them on
    the other side of the column , under strengths...

    By the way if I have anyone's interest still...

    Anyone know how to make a Domain User Account a local administrator on a
    Windows 2003 Server PC? This Win2003 PC is not a PDC by the way. Every time
    I click User Accounts on it it takes me straight to Local Users and Groups
    Utility. I tried adding the user from here by it's FQDN but it didnt help me
    when I rebooted it just loaded the local account instead of the domain user
    account. Irritating! I am used to XP allowing you to click user accounts in
    the control panel and it brings up the User Accounts dialog box where you
    can easily add a user account from the domain.

    Keith Chilton, Mar 5, 2007
  6. Thanks keith, I've listed them and I believe that's why so many jobs will
    contact me but when i sit with them in an interview they ask for me to show
    "proof" which is kinda hard to do. I wish they'd give me some sort of test
    in the interview, so that I could truly prove what I know.

    Michael, that is a great idea that you have, gonna give it a shot, should I
    put that in my resume' under jobs?

    Jonathan, I've seen postings similar to what you stated and I've been
    submitting my resume' but haven't recieved any replys. I will continue to
    do so tho.

    Jason Johnson, Mar 6, 2007
  7. No problem. I think people should realize, if it's on your resume. You are
    an expert in the area. I didn't realize this for a long time thinking that
    the more skills I put on there, the better. Wrong. Specialize in an area.
    That way you have something to talk the future employers head off with when
    you get there. If that's something they are lacking in (which you may
    convince them of by your talking to them incessantly about it) they may
    "realize" they need you more than they thought they did. And if there is a
    need there already for your area you specialize in, you're in the right
    place aren't you?

    --
    Keith Chilton - MCDST,MCP
    Data Services Technician

    Phone (812) 273-4949 Ext. 348 Fax (812) 265-6730

    messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Any opinions or advice
    contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions in any
    applicable client engagement letter or agreement.

    Keith Chilton, Mar 6, 2007
  8. Yeah, place it under job experience.

    Michael D. Alligood, Mar 7, 2007