Trying to get drivers. I know,,,,

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by -Karl, Jul 22, 2009.

  1. -Karl

    -Karl Guest

    Ok, I have an ASUS ASN-SLI (?? Not at home atm to verify) 64-bit mobo
    with a AMD 64 3800 CPU. I was trying to get x64 XP on the system but
    alas, it can't detect the freaking SATA Drive!

    Ok, no problem. I know I need to grab the chipset drivers from ASUS.
    I also know that it uses NVIDIA. So I went to NVIDIA's web site and
    grab their files as well,

    However, no matter which package I use, I can't get XP to see the HD.
    I am not using SATA RAID drivers, I am using their SATA IDE drivers.
    And yes, I did try their SATA RAID Drivers just to be sure...

    I'm lost on this and was wondering if anyone might be able to shed
    some light. Many thanks!

    P.S. Anyone using W7 x64 yet??? Thoughts? Does it support the SATA
    drives natively now or do you still need the drivers from the mobo?

    Thanks!

    -Karl, Jul 22, 2009

  2. Are we to assume that you have the correct portion of the drivers on a
    floppy disk and your are pressing F6 when prompted during initialization
    of the setup program?

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 22, 2009

  3. If you have an A8N-SLi, you only need the nVidia drivers.

    If you have an A8N-SLi Deluxe, you may have connected your disk to the
    SiL SATA port which could be why you cannot see the disk.

    W7 x64 supports nForce 4 natively. nForce 4 is now a legacy product,so
    there will be no specific nVidia W7 drivers for it.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 22, 2009
  4. But, he's trying to install x64 XP and that does not have native support
    for the nForce 4 chipset.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 22, 2009
  5. -Karl

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    When booting the computer, press the key needed to enter the BIOS setup.
    When the BIOS menu appears, locate the setting for the controller and set it
    for IDE, _NOT_ RAID operation.

    Save and exit the BIOS setup. Let the computer start up. Install the OS.

    I could be mistaken -memory fades- but I believe no drivers are needed to
    install the OS on the SATA drives on the on-board ports of that MoBo unless
    you want RAID.

    Also, that MoBo was supplied with a CD with all needed drivers.

    To make F6 drivers, boot the computer with the CD in the boot CD or DVD/C
    drive. Once booted from the CD, select the appropriate item from the menu,
    insert a floppy in the drive and use that to install the drivers as usual
    during XP 64 setup from its CD.

    Let us know because I have been wrong before. 1968, I think it was. ;-))

    Tom Ferguson

    Tom Ferguson, Jul 22, 2009
  6. -Karl

    Carlos Guest

    Karl:
    Use Nidia NForce4 AMD drivers
    (http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_winxp64_15.23.html).
    Download the package and build the "F6 disk" that you'll have to use during
    Windows setup.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 22, 2009
  7. XP, x64 XP, Vista & Windows 7 will all install on nForce 4 without the
    need for drivers unless the install is on a RAID array. For all except
    Windows 7, the nVidia drivers will need to be installed subsequently to
    get all devices functioning. (I assume, but have not tested, that
    Windows 7 includes the nForce 4 RAID drivers.)

    If the disk is not seen, it may be dead or not properly connected but it
    is most likely that it is connected to the secondary controller which is
    deactivated in the BIOS, or, if it is the DeLuxe, that the disk is
    connected to the SiL RAID controller.

    I have installed all the OSes on my A8NSli DeLuxe.

    The OP asked about both x64 XP and Windows 7 x64.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 22, 2009
  8. -Karl

    -Karl Guest

    Re: Trying to get drivers. I know,,,,

    Thanks for everyone's support. I will look into the issue more and
    see if my BIOS is setup wrong somehow. I am d/ling teh drivers now
    that Carlos mentioned. As for the original CD, lol. I didn't keep it
    since I knew they would be updated with newer drivers. LOL

    I do not believe that I have the deluxe edition. I'll look at teh
    BIOS and see if it says deluxe... I've used the ASUS driver tool on
    their website and it only says A*N-SLI, not DELUXE.

    I was asking about W7 since it's new and I was curious to see how it
    works in x64. Like 98se was for 98 & 95, W7 is the upgrade edition
    for Vista.

    I have also heard a rumor that the SP for W7 & Windows Server 2008 are
    the SAME. Interesting if it's true....

    -Karl, Jul 23, 2009
  9. -Karl

    -Karl Guest

    Re: Trying to get drivers. I know,,,,

    Carlos,
    I think I have that package for NVIDIA driver. I didn't install the
    software but saved the extracted files and went into the IDE\Win64
    folder. Looks like the same files as what I tried before. But I need
    to try the BIOS setting 1st and see what it says.

    -Karl, Jul 23, 2009
  10. -Karl

    Carlos Guest

    Re: Trying to get drivers. I know,,,,

    Karl,
    Maybe Dominic is right and you don't need additional drivers during setup.
    Try to answer to yourself the following questions.
    1.- You boot from the XP x64 installation CD. Do you "see" the sata drive as
    an install target?
    If the answer is yes, then you don't need any driver.
    2.- If the answer is no, you have to copy the driver files to a floppy disk
    (a.k.a. "F6 disk") so that when you are prompted to "press F6 if ...." the
    driver will be there.
    The folder to be copied to the floppy is the one containing the
    "txtsetup.oem" file.
    Copy all the files in that folder to the floppy root folder.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 23, 2009
  11. -Karl

    tsperling Guest

    I'm sorry - it would seem that you are both missing the point (unless I
    am?) - even though the board may have SATA support the OP will have to
    activate that support via the F6 & floppy method. This is because SATA is
    IDE and is internally wired to the SCSI device which prohibits any IDE drive
    to be enumerated by the BIOS until SATA/SCSI is enabled.

    It would be possible to install the OS to an ATA/IDE and install the drivers
    to the running system later and use those as data drives, but without a
    'slipstreamed' OS installation, you cannot see a SATA drive to install to. I
    have had my own headaches trying all manners of boot options and the most
    devastating experience was that even a XP x64 'repair install' again
    rendered the SATA drives invisible.

    Apart from this, there is nothing wrong with your argumentation that I can
    see.

    Tony. . .

    tsperling, Jul 23, 2009
  12. -Karl

    -Karl Guest

    Re: Trying to get drivers. I know,,,,

    I'll need to think about that. Working on a project ATM.... I'll
    chew the fat on that late tonight

    Thanks for the help

    -Karl, Jul 23, 2009
  13. The installation disks include Microsoft SATA drivers which work with
    nForce 4 for the install. You only need the nVidia drivers on a floppy
    if you want to install on a RAID setup: standard SATA is covered by the
    Microsoft drivers.

    If it is the only machine you have, you must have the nVidia chipset
    drivers to hand before installing because one of the drivers not present
    on the installation disk is the nForce 4 ethernet driver.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 23, 2009
  14. -Karl

    -Karl Guest

    Re: Trying to get drivers. I know,,,,

    It's starting to sound like a BIOS config issue then perhaps?

    -Karl, Jul 23, 2009
  15. Re: Trying to get drivers. I know,,,,

    That's the most likely.

    Sometimes - rarely - there can be problems with motherboard/BIOS
    versions and specific hard disks. If BIOS configuration does not resolve
    the problem, come back with the specific motherboard model, BIOS version
    and hard drive model number and we can check if there is a particular
    compatibility problem.

    Dominic Payer, Jul 23, 2009