    Think the battery is past it and should be replaced, any idea if this
    would cure the charger overheating

    Cheers in advanced folks
    Jason, Oct 4, 2009

  2. On Sun, 04 Oct 2009 12:54:56 -0700, Jason pinched out a steaming pile of:

    > Hi folks.
    >
    > My laptop charger is overheating and the battery is not charging.
    >
    > The charger is getting so hot its hard to pick it up, so anyidea is it
    > because it's trying to charge the battery that it is overheating or is
    > the charger on the way out
    >
    > Think the battery is past it and should be replaced, any idea if this
    > would cure the charger overheating
    >

    > Cheers in advanced folks

    Get a fan and a heat sink for it.
    Other Option: contract with local dry ice company.

    HTH
    http://ltsaloon.org
    http://www.ramusa.org/
    http://www.pavlovianobeisance.com/
    §ñühwø£f, Oct 4, 2009

  3. Jason

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-10-04, Jason <> wrote:
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > My laptop charger is overheating and the battery is not charging.
    >
    > The charger is getting so hot its hard to pick it up, so anyidea is it
    > because it's trying to charge the battery that it is overheating or is
    > the charger on the way out
    >
    > Think the battery is past it and should be replaced, any idea if this
    > would cure the charger overheating
    >

    > Cheers in advanced folks

    What happens if you remove the battery from the laptop before connecting
    the power brick?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Oct 4, 2009
  4. Jason

    PeeCee Guest

    "Jason" <> wrote in message
    > Hi folks.
    >
    > My laptop charger is overheating and the battery is not charging.
    >
    > The charger is getting so hot its hard to pick it up, so anyidea is it
    > because it's trying to charge the battery that it is overheating or is
    > the charger on the way out
    >
    > Think the battery is past it and should be replaced, any idea if this
    > would cure the charger overheating

    snip

    If the battery is past it, then it is likely the cause of the adapter
    overheating.

    As Whiskers says, try running the Laptop without the battery.
    Does the Laptop work normally?
    If the answer is yes then the battery is the most likely culprit.

    OTOH if the Laptop will not run on the adapter only or if the adapter gets
    hot when plugged into the mains but not into the Laptop, then have the
    adapter checked.
    The adapter should be able to provide the current at the voltage listed on
    the name plate/sticker.

    Paul
    PeeCee, Oct 5, 2009
  5. Jason

    Jason Guest

    Ran it without the battery last night and charger remained relativly
    cool. So looks like trying to charge battery and run machine is making
    it go hot.

    Cheers for the replies. A nice little £85 for a new battery ouch
    Jason, Oct 5, 2009