    use a wireless, broadband cable connection? The cable company asked if I had
    wireless network cards and I'm not even sure how to find out. Any info would
    be greatly appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?QW15?=, Aug 25, 2006

  2. I am no help, amy. I have exactly the same question to ask. Hope someone
    replies!

    Andrew

    =?Utf-8?B?YmViYmE=?=, Aug 25, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?QW15?=

    Dave B. Guest

    If these are desktop computers, they generally don't come standard with a
    wireless network card unless you specified it. Look at the back of each PC
    and see if you see an antenna, if not, you don't have one.

    Dave B., Aug 25, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QW15?=

    Malke Guest

    Amy wrote:

    > I have a new computer with XP and an older computer running Millenium.
    > Can I
    > use a wireless, broadband cable connection? The cable company asked
    > if I had
    > wireless network cards and I'm not even sure how to find out. Any
    > info would be greatly appreciated.

    Yes, you can do this. It is unlikely that your new desktop computer came
    with a wireless adapter unless you ordered one, but you can check by
    going to Control Panel>System>Hardware tab>Device Manager. Expand the
    Network Devices category. You will probably see a 1394 adapter
    (Firewire) and your ethernet adapter. If you see a third adapter that
    says something about 802.11g, then you have the wireless hardware.

    Otherwise, you can either buy PCI wireless adapters for both your
    computers and install them inside the machines OR buy USB wireless
    adapters for both computers.

    You will also need to buy a wireless router.

    Here are some links to help you visualize and set up the network:

    Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
    (Of course you don't need to buy Linksys hardware; this site has good
    pictures and answers to basic questions.)

    Wireless - Basic Configuration -

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Aug 25, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?QW15?=

    Frankster Guest

    Most desktop computers do not have wireless capability. But then, most folks
    don't want that on a desktop. Wireless is primarily for mobility. Laptops
    usually do have wireless capability.

    That said... does your ISP offer regular wired connections? If so, you can
    partake as long as you have a network card installed. Most newer computers
    come with one of these built-in.

    Also, most wideband service operators will install for you. Probably for a
    fee, but nonetheless install. They can usually install any adapter you may
    need into your computer at that time. You might ask is they can do that.

    -Frank

    Frankster, Aug 25, 2006