    How can i disable it?

    Thanks in advance

    Paul
    Paul Watkins, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Paul Watkins

    °Mike° Guest

    It's in msdos.sys - add it under:

    [Options]
    DoubleBuffer=0

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:08:30 +0100, in
    <3EGKa.269$>
    Paul Watkins scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 26, 2003

  3. Paul Watkins

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:

    > It's in msdos.sys - add it under:
    >
    > [Options]
    > DoubleBuffer=0

    msdos.sys is a win98 file?
    I don't recall seeing it at all when I edited my config files.

    Brian H¹©, Jun 26, 2003
  4. Paul Watkins

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:19:36 +0100, in
    <VOGKa.1307$>
    Brian H¹© scrawled:

    <snip>

    >msdos.sys is not a win98 file.

    Yes, it is. It contains a section for locations (PATH) of
    Windows files - eg. %windir", %winbootdir%, registry - and
    a section for personalising the boot process, and in his case,
    for double-buffering.

    <snip>

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 26, 2003
  5. Paul Watkins

    °Mike° Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:21:07 +0100, in
    <lQGKa.1308$>
    Brian H¹© scrawled:

    > Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:
    >
    >> It's in msdos.sys - add it under:
    >>
    >> [Options]
    >> DoubleBuffer=0
    >>

    >msdos.sys is a win98 file?
    >I don't recall seeing it at all when I edited my config files.

    Yes, it is. It's even part of Windows ME. It's not the
    same as the Win3.1/MS-DOS version, which was NOT a text file.

    <snip>

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 26, 2003
  6. Paul Watkins

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Errrrr...erm... °Mike° said:

    > On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:19:36 +0100, in
    > <VOGKa.1307$>
    > Brian H¹© scrawled:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >> msdos.sys is not a win98 file.

    > Yes, it is. It contains a section for locations (PATH) of
    > Windows files - eg. %windir", %winbootdir%, registry - and
    > a section for personalising the boot process, and in his case,
    > for double-buffering.
    >
    > <snip>

    OK, thanks. Something to remember ;-)
    Brian H¹©, Jun 26, 2003
  7. Paul Watkins

    Shep© Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:08:30 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    scutters "Paul Watkins" <> wrote :

    >Hi
    >I have a PC running Windows 98, that 'stutters' when running games or
    >installing files/games.
    >I think it's because the system has double buffering enabled on it.(sysoft
    >Sandra dignostic program says it's enabled)

    Sandra is pretty crap.You can ignore most of it's fault calls and
    tips.

    >I've searched the Microsoft Knowledge Base and it pointed me in the
    >direction of the CONFIG.SYS file and edit double buffering to value 0
    >The problem is, it isn't in the file, also another website said that it's in
    >the msdos.sys file. I've searched for this in the root directory and the
    >entire C drive, it's not there.
    >How can i disable it?

    You can edit the hidden/Read only file
    Msdos.sys which is in your root directory but 1st you may have to un
    hide the file.
    Explorer/View/Folder option/View Show all files and don't,"Hide" any
    files e.g two actions.
    You can then right click on the Msdos.sys/Properties and un-check the
    read only attribute and change the line,
    DoubleBuffer=1
    DoubleBuffer=0

    and save the change however I doubt this is the problem as double
    buffering in Win98 pertains to SCSI devices and is ignored if no SCSI
    device is installed.

    Post full hardware spec and PCI slots used.
    Also check the Device Manager using Safemode as per,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,
    Shep©, Jun 26, 2003
  8. Paul Watkins

    Paul Watkins Guest

    I got there in the end.
    Thanks for all the help.
    Paul

    Paul Watkins, Jun 26, 2003
  9. Paul Watkins

    Shep© Guest

    Re: si soft sandra?

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:16:49 +0100, Whilst playing Smegball with the
    scutters "Ðaz ©." <bitemy@.ss.com> wrote :

    >mentioned replys saying get rid of it...why is this?

    It gives false information leading users to believe there are faults
    on their system.
    There are plenty of other free diagnostic/Benchmark programs around
    that are fully featured and more accurate,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/diag.html
    Some of which may not look as pretty but are way more functional.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Free songs download,
    Shep©, Jun 26, 2003
  10. Paul Watkins

    Plato Guest

    Re: si soft sandra?

    Ðaz ©. wrote:

    > mentioned replys saying get rid of it...why is this?

    sisoft is a pile of poo
    Plato, Jun 26, 2003
  11. Paul Watkins

    Plato Guest

    Re: si soft sandra?

    Shep© wrote:

    > >mentioned replys saying get rid of it...why is this?

    > It gives false information leading users to believe there are faults
    > on their system.

    Exactly
    Plato, Jun 26, 2003
  12. Paul Watkins

    Shep© Guest

    Shep©, Jun 26, 2003
  13. Paul Watkins

    Plato Guest

    Re: si soft sandra?

    Shep© wrote:

    > >sisoft is a pile of poo

    > Heh.Heh :D
    > Dat list am damn big now :O

    I'd like to give you credit for "pile of poo" but I think it's best left
    Plato, Jun 26, 2003
  14. Re: si soft sandra?

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:21:07 GMT, Shep© <> proffered, in
    : news::

    > It gives false information leading users to believe there are faults
    > on their system.
    > There are plenty of other free diagnostic/Benchmark programs around
    > that are fully featured and more accurate,

    Really? I've never had any problems with SANDRA, and found its reports
    to be very comprehensive and helpful. I always much preferred it to
    Belarc's advisor, that's for sure.

    --
    Patriotism is a pernicious, psychopathic form of idiocy. - G. B. Shaw
    Max Quordlepleen, Jun 27, 2003
  15. Paul Watkins

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: si soft sandra?

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 11:35:00 +1200, in
    <>
    Max Quordlepleen scrawled:

    >On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:21:07 GMT, Shep© <> proffered, in
    >: news::
    >
    >> It gives false information leading users to believe there are faults
    >> on their system.
    >> There are plenty of other free diagnostic/Benchmark programs around
    >> that are fully featured and more accurate,

    >Really? I've never had any problems with SANDRA, and found its reports
    >to be very comprehensive and helpful. I always much preferred it to
    >Belarc's advisor, that's for sure.

    In my experience, Sandra does produce spurious, if not downright
    false, information. Have you tried Aida32, Max?
    http://www.aida32.hu/

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 27, 2003