    Is this the case? If so, how can i acertain which program/function is doing
    this?
    Much obliged to you.

    Jocks trap, Feb 27, 2004

  2. Jocks trap

    HF Guest

    Check your settings on the connections tab in internet options.
    "Jocks trap" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, over the last few days my pc has started bringing up the the "Connect
    > to the internet" screen - immediately as i boot up and at other random

    times
    > whilst i'm offline. It looks as though some program or other is deciding

    > connect me/itself - whenever it feels like it!
    > Is this the case? If so, how can i acertain which program/function is

    doing
    > this?
    > Much obliged to you.

    ---

    HF, Feb 27, 2004

  3. Jocks trap

    Basket Case Guest

    "Jocks trap" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, over the last few days my pc has started bringing up the the "Connect
    > to the internet" screen - immediately as i boot up and at other random

    times
    > whilst i'm offline. It looks as though some program or other is deciding

    > connect me/itself - whenever it feels like it!
    > Is this the case? If so, how can i acertain which program/function is

    doing
    > this?
    > Much obliged to you.

    Its been a while since I've used dialup, but here's something you can try
    (assuming you are using WinXP, since you didn't specify).

    Start > Settings > Control Panel > Internet Options

    On the 'Connections' tab, click 'Never dial a connection'. That 'should'
    take care of the automatic dialup whenever a program tries to access the
    internet.

    To find out what programs are attempting to access the internet, you can use
    a firewall such as ZoneAlarm.

    http://www.zonealarm.com

    -BC

    Basket Case, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Jocks trap

    LarryLamb Guest

    "Jocks trap" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, over the last few days my pc has started bringing up the the "Connect
    > to the internet" screen - immediately as i boot up and at other random

    times
    > whilst i'm offline. It looks as though some program or other is deciding

    > connect me/itself - whenever it feels like it!
    > Is this the case? If so, how can i acertain which program/function is

    doing
    > this?
    > Much obliged to you.

    It is likely that your PC has been spiked by Spyware, Adware or a Trojan
    from an infected web site, email or file download. These are programs that
    surreptitiously collect data from the PC (from information about web sites
    visited to personal data files, passwords etc.) and then use the Internet to
    send it back to 'base'.
    In Windows 98 onwards you can usually disable automatic program updates by
    going to Run on the Start menu and typing 'msconfig' (without the quotes),
    select the Startup tab and deselect any 'services' or 'auto update' entries.
    To disinfect your PC download and run a freeware cleaner utility like
    AdAware, which you will find at: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    LarryLamb, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Jocks trap

    Jocks trap Guest