Trying to connect wirelessly for the first time.. need help

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbiBSYWJiaXQ=?=, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. okay. I'm trying to connect my computer wirelessly through another
    regular/wired router. I got this linksys travel router, which you are
    supposed to be able to plug in at like a hotel, (to both a outlet and the
    broadband wall connection) and be able to use your computer wirelessly.
    Except i'm trying to do this at my home. The computer is only a few feet from
    this travel router (model WTR54GS if anyone is wondering) So i hooked it up
    as per instruction and i went through the installation cd, but after that i'm
    stuck. I looked in my windows help for how to connect to an available
    wireless network and this is what it says:

    1. Open Network Connections.
    2. Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
    Tasks, click View available wireless networks.
    3. Choose the wireless network from the list that appears, and then click
    Connect.

    This all makes sense to me. However, my problem is that I don't HAVE a
    "wireless network connection icon" in Network Connections. All i have is a
    firewire and a regular LAN connection. This laptop is about three years old
    and because i never used it wirelessly before, i couldn't recall if it came
    with a wireless card, but I contacted gateway, which is where my computer is
    from, and two different support techs at two different times have told me
    that my laptop does in fact have a wireless card. So, what am i doing wrong?
    =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbiBSYWJiaXQ=?=, Jan 22, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UmFpbiBSYWJiaXQ=?=

    David Hettel Guest

    You need to know how to turn your wireless card on. It may be a switch on
    the side of your computer, or perhaps a Function Key combination, such as Fn
    + F5. Sorry with out knowing more about your computer, that's my best guess.
    Also if you have not installed drivers for your card or they are not
    installed correctly, this could result in this problem.

    --
    David Hettel

    E-mail or news groups.

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com