trying to clone boot partition for W2K..

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    I'm trying to do something that, I think, should be real easy... but I've
    been fumbling with it for several weeks now and need help.
    I have a completely installed version of W2K Prof. w/NTFS (SP4 with all the
    patches, etc) and all my proggies. It is clean, fast, and I love it.
    However history tells me that at some point I will load some utility or such
    thing onto it which will corrupt it and the OS will become unstable and go
    to hell. My only recourse in the past has been to spend a week
    reinstalling the OS, SP's, patches, and all the proggies I need. Ugh!
    I've done this too many times...
    Soooooooo, I figured that this time I would just "clone" this nice new
    install and put in on a partition of its own somewhere where I could pull it
    back when I needed to start over again. Sounds easy, no???

    First try was just a copy of all the files in the boot patition over to
    another, and then back again to try it out... This did not work... some
    hidden files must not have xferred or something but no boot as acheived
    dispite a lot of messing around. (any body know why?)

    2nd try was with Partition Magic. Copied the entire partition to another
    place, so I could just copy it back when I needed it. right? Well,
    n.g... it also would not boot, and when i coaxed it to boot by repairing it,
    it still hung up and I kept getting BSOD and wierd errors.

    3rd try was wiping a blank disk, and using the MaxBlast new disk utility to
    try and copy my boot dist to the "new" one... perhaps this would have worked
    but my boot disk has 3 partitions on it and in aggregate they are too large
    to copy. And I could not get it to just copy the one boot partition I
    wanted so it died in mid copy and roached both the source and destination
    partitions..

    So, please tell, how do I easily copy the complete partition to somewhere
    safe and then put it back when I need it and have it reliably boot up like
    the original.

    Many thanks in advance to whomever can assist!

    Jeff, Feb 28, 2004

  2. "Jeff" wrote
    > I'm trying to do something that, I think, should be real easy... but I've
    > been fumbling with it for several weeks now and need help.
    > I have a completely installed version of W2K Prof. w/NTFS (SP4 with all the
    > patches, etc) and all my proggies. It is clean, fast, and I love it.
    > However history tells me that at some point I will load some utility or such
    > thing onto it which will corrupt it and the OS will become unstable and go
    > to hell. My only recourse in the past has been to spend a week
    > reinstalling the OS, SP's, patches, and all the proggies I need. Ugh!
    > I've done this too many times...
    > Soooooooo, I figured that this time I would just "clone" this nice new
    > install and put in on a partition of its own somewhere where I could pull it
    > back when I needed to start over again. Sounds easy, no???
    >
    > First try was just a copy of all the files in the boot patition over to
    > another, and then back again to try it out... This did not work... some
    > hidden files must not have xferred or something but no boot as acheived
    > dispite a lot of messing around. (any body know why?)
    >
    > 2nd try was with Partition Magic. Copied the entire partition to another
    > place, so I could just copy it back when I needed it. right? Well,
    > n.g... it also would not boot, and when i coaxed it to boot by repairing it,
    > it still hung up and I kept getting BSOD and wierd errors.
    >
    > 3rd try was wiping a blank disk, and using the MaxBlast new disk utility to
    > try and copy my boot dist to the "new" one... perhaps this would have worked
    > but my boot disk has 3 partitions on it and in aggregate they are too large
    > to copy. And I could not get it to just copy the one boot partition I
    > wanted so it died in mid copy and roached both the source and destination
    > partitions..
    >
    > So, please tell, how do I easily copy the complete partition to somewhere
    > safe and then put it back when I need it and have it reliably boot up like
    > the original.

    By using 2 win2000 operating systems on the same PC I have used
    one Win2000 to bring the other back to a wellknown state.

    Here is how I did it:

    I have 2 win2000-installations on some of my PC's.
    I have installed the first Win2000 on the first partition on C:\.
    I have assigned the drive letter for the CD rom to be R:\

    The next Win200 I have installed by choosing 'Advanced Settings'
    during installation, so that I can make a 'Fresh Installation'
    and not a 'Upgrade', and selects in Advanced settings in the installation,
    that I want to choose installation drive later in the installation.

    During the second installation I creates a new partition which uses
    the rest of the Disk, and installs the 2nd win2000 on D:\

    After installation I get the choise at boot if I want to
    select
    "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional"
    or
    "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional"

    It looks pretty much the same, so I edit in the file
    C:\Boot.ini and puts a C: and a D: in front of the two
    possibilites:
    "D:\ Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional"
    "C:\ Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional"

    I order to make a backup of Windows 2000 installed on D:\
    I start in windows 2000 on C:\,
    tells Windows Explorer to show alle hidden files,
    and also show system files.

    Then in windows Explorer, select all files on D:\
    makes Control C to copy the entire operating system
    to the Clipboard, and paste it into a folder on
    C:\WIN2000_RESTORE_ON_D

    When I feel like wiping the Win2000 on D:\,
    I boot again on C:\
    selects all files on D:\
    deletes all files
    and copy all files from folder
    C:\WIN2000_RESTORE_ON_D
    back to D:\
    and I am ready.

    This has worked for me in several years.

    There are some details about Security Permisions,
    but it have never done any harm to me.

    Regards
    Thorkild Dalsgaard

    Thorkild Dalsgaard, Feb 28, 2004

  3. Jeff

    Scote Guest

    Create an image of the active partition with something like DriveImage
    pro and keep image on a separate partition( ideally separate drive on
    same box) . Use Drive Image Pro boot disk to replace FUBAR'd system with
    nice clean working copy . Its almost idiot-proof ;-) Takes about 10 mins
    to be up & running again
    HTH

    Tony

    Scote, Feb 28, 2004
  4. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Many thanks... I tried to do this (my first attempt below)but not exactly
    the way you did it (i cloned the first partition then tried to copy the
    files back using COPY)and I failed to get a bootable result. I will try it
    again your way by doing 2 complete installations and "flipping" between
    them. I am particularly interested in the way you can copy the files from
    D: to a folder and back without a problem! Swap file, registry, etc all
    copy OK?

    thanks very much

    Jeff, Feb 28, 2004
  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    thanks - exactly what i was trying to do with Partition Magic... copy the
    partition and then copy it back... but it would not be bootable.... Seems
    silly bcuz i thought it would be easy too, but...!!!
    Any experience with PM and what I did wrong, or should I just get a copy of
    DriveImage and be done with it...??
    Many thanks

    Jeff, Feb 28, 2004
  6. "Jeff" wrote
    > Many thanks... I tried to do this (my first attempt below)but not exactly
    > the way you did it (i cloned the first partition then tried to copy the
    > files back using COPY)and I failed to get a bootable result. I will try it
    > again your way by doing 2 complete installations and "flipping" between
    > them. I am particularly interested in the way you can copy the files from
    > D: to a folder and back without a problem! Swap file, registry, etc all
    > copy OK?

    Well, I now remember, that I only copied
    the folders, not the root files on D:\ or C:\
    (Leaving out e.g. the pagefile.sys File, but
    the swap file does not matter what content it has,
    and it only eats disk space and takes time to copy anyway)
    That means only delete and restore these three OS relevant _folders_:

    X:\Documents and Settings
    X:\Program Files
    X:\Windows
    and leave those files in the root.

    This is the pseudocode for the small program I wrote:
    ' delete
    ' D:\Documents and Settings
    ' D:\Program Files
    ' D:\WINDOWS
    '
    ' copy C:\Restore\D\winXP_sp1\Program Files to D:\Program Files
    ' copy C:\Restore\D\winXP_sp1\Documents and Settings to D:\Documents and
    Settings
    ' copy C:\Restore\D\winXP_sp1\WINDOWS to D:\WINDOWS

    Regards
    Thorkild Dalsgaard

    Thorkild Dalsgaard, Feb 28, 2004
  7. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    OK-

    Interesting because on one of my tries, I copied *all* files, system and
    otherwise, and when it tried to boot, it got to a point and said that there
    was no pagefile (even though I copied that over) and that I had to create
    one .... of course I could not create one until windows finished booting so
    I was hosed...

    I think your method gets around the security or whatever problems I am
    running into by assuming that the boot and sys files at root are constant
    and dont need to be messed with. Good assumption!

    Where is the Registry held? I assume it gets copied over in one of the 3
    directories you move?

    Jeff, Feb 28, 2004
  8. "Jeff" wrote
    > Interesting because on one of my tries, I copied *all* files, system and
    > otherwise, and when it tried to boot, it got to a point and said that there
    > was no pagefile (even though I copied that over) and that I had to create
    > one .... of course I could not create one until windows finished booting so
    > I was hosed...
    >
    > I think your method gets around the security or whatever problems I am
    > running into by assuming that the boot and sys files at root are constant
    > and dont need to be messed with. Good assumption!
    >
    > Where is the Registry held? I assume it gets copied over in one of the 3
    > directories you move?

    System registry files are in hidden files in each user's profile, that is in
    sub folders in 'Documents and Settings', so my primitive copy scheme
    also includes registry.
    Perhaps there are some info also in Windows folder, but that is guesswork.

    Regards
    Thorkild Dalsgaard

    Thorkild Dalsgaard, Feb 29, 2004