trying to clean up hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by larry, Nov 28, 2003.

  1. larry

    larry Guest

    Greetings

    A couple of years ago, I found a group of folders that weren't being emptied
    when I was doing the deletion of temporary internet files. There are a
    group of files, about 16 or so, located at C: windows/local
    settings/temporary internet files/content IE5. For me, under ie5 is a list
    of folders which dont have readable names eg 3yrek.... etc.

    I noticed them there a couple of years ago and there were about 20,000 files
    in each of those folders. Does anyone know how to delete the files inside.
    When I use the delete function it asks if I want to delete a file with .ini
    as an extension.. I say no and the rest are deleted.

    They are part of the temporary internet files so I assume there are for
    temporary use.

    So far, as far as I know, my computer is not hurting from them not being
    there.

    I do keep the original folders there.

    Is anyone else aware of they're existance?

    Larry

    larry, Nov 28, 2003

  2. larry

    °Mike° Guest

    Close Internet Explorer and empty the cache from Control
    Panel / Internet Options / 'Delete files'. Be *sure* to check
    the box to 'Include all offline content'. This will remove all
    of the sub-folders within "content.IE5".

    On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 14:09:51 GMT, in
    <PGIxb.12622$>
    larry scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 28, 2003

  3. larry

    Plato Guest

    larry wrote:

    > settings/temporary internet files/content IE5. For me, under ie5 is a list
    > of folders which dont have readable names eg 3yrek.... etc.
    >
    > I noticed them there a couple of years ago and there were about 20,000 files
    > in each of those folders. Does anyone know how to delete the files inside.

    MS keeps them in a proprietary folder/file format database. That's why
    win explorer oftens incorrectly views them as "mirrors".

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 30, 2003
  4. larry

    Win Guest

    make this a bat file

    REM removes temp files
    DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
    MD C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

    REM removes tempary internet files
    DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\TEMPOR~1
    DELTREE /Y C:\temp\TEMPOR~1

    REM removes cookies
    DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES
    DELTREE /Y C:\temp\COOKIES

    REM removes history
    DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\HISTORY
    DELTREE /Y C:\temp\HISTORY

    REM removes Offline Web Pages
    DELTREE /Y C:\WINDOWS\OFFLIN~1
    DELTREE /Y C:\temp\OFFLIN~1

    make a win 98 boot disk
    add smartdrv
    restart in dos mode
    run smartdrv
    run the batchfile
    restart to a cleaner system

    Win, Nov 30, 2003
  5. larry

    °Mike° Guest

    1. Deleting temporary files from DOS is dangerous advice.

    2. Why the redundant deltree commands, when you have
    already deleted the Temp folder?

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 01:01:23 +1300, in
    <p_kyb.14440$>
    Win scrawled: