Trying to Broadcast a game server over internet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DosE, Aug 16, 2004.

  1. DosE

    DosE Guest

    Hey all,

    I am running 2 computers networked through a netgear 4 port router
    over my roadrunner connection. They are both win98 SE machines with AMD
    processors. My problem is this, I can run LAN games and connect with the
    other computer and it plays fine. However, when I go to broadcast a game
    over the internet so other people can join my game, my IP address/hostname
    won't show up on the list. For instance, I have tried broadcasting games of
    Zdaemon Doom2 or Quake via Quakeworld. I'll start a dedicated server on one
    computer, then go to the other computer and start up the server browsing
    software for the particular game. When I look for my game, it's not listed.
    I have narrowed the problem down to what I believe some kind of
    configuration issue with the router. I have tried using each computer to
    broadcast a game, and neither show up on the server listing software. I
    have also tried to use an outside computer at someone elses house while I
    left a dedicated server running at my house. Still, the software for either
    game (doom2 or quake) cannot find my server. The only way it will show up
    is if I manually type in the IP address into the server browser but that's
    only at my house. When I typed in the address at my friends house it
    couldn't locate it. Basically this means that my server isn't even being
    broadcast over the internet. However, it's not even really my IP address as
    it's just the router address. I believe most routers use a common address
    of 192.168.0.1 or whatever, which is what mine uses. Oh, and I checked to
    make sure that both of the games are connected to the master server to be
    listed so I know thats not an issue. So anyone have any ideas on how to fix
    this problem? I'd really like to get a few games going =)

    Thanks for your time,

    -DosE
    DosE, Aug 16, 2004

  2. DosE

    Duane Arnold Guest

    DosE <> wrote in

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I am running 2 computers networked through a netgear 4 port
    > router
    > over my roadrunner connection. They are both win98 SE machines with
    > AMD processors. My problem is this, I can run LAN games and connect
    > with the other computer and it plays fine. However, when I go to
    > broadcast a game over the internet so other people can join my game,
    > my IP address/hostname won't show up on the list. For instance, I have
    > tried broadcasting games of Zdaemon Doom2 or Quake via Quakeworld.
    > I'll start a dedicated server on one computer, then go to the other
    > computer and start up the server browsing software for the particular
    > game. When I look for my game, it's not listed. I have narrowed the
    > problem down to what I believe some kind of configuration issue with
    > the router. I have tried using each computer to broadcast a game, and
    > neither show up on the server listing software. I have also tried to
    > use an outside computer at someone elses house while I left a
    > dedicated server running at my house. Still, the software for either
    > game (doom2 or quake) cannot find my server. The only way it will show
    > up is if I manually type in the IP address into the server browser but
    > that's only at my house. When I typed in the address at my friends
    > house it couldn't locate it. Basically this means that my server isn't
    > even being broadcast over the internet. However, it's not even really
    > my IP address as it's just the router address. I believe most routers
    > use a common address of 192.168.0.1 or whatever, which is what mine
    > uses. Oh, and I checked to make sure that both of the games are
    > connected to the master server to be listed so I know thats not an
    > issue. So anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? I'd really
    > like to get a few games going =)

    It's called port forwarding on the router. This also means that you'll
    need to open the inbound port(s) to the IP/machine the game is running
    on. Of course, you'll search Google for the particular game in question
    to find out what port(s) need to be port forwarded. In addition, you
    should go to the router's Website Support Knowledge Base to see how to
    setup the router and the computer for *port forwarding* or search Google.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/port-forwarding-dmz.asp

    Of course as you know that if you open the ports on the router, then the
    protection of the router on the forwarded ports is out of the picture and
    a host based or Personal Firewall solution should be active on the
    computer.

    You may also want to search Google on port triggering, which would be
    used on the router that had multiple players playing the same game behind
    the router with other players over the Internet.

    You should stay out of the DMZ of the router with the computer.

    And anyone over the Internet would make contact with you RR IP that has
    been assigned to the MAC of your modem the public IP and not the
    198.xxx.xxx.xxx private IP issued by the router to a computer.

    Duane :)

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Aug 16, 2004

  3. DosE

    John Smith Guest

    Check the instructions for your router. You will have to figure out which
    ports the game server uses (ports are tcp or udp addresses that the router
    will control access to).

    You will have to configure your router to forward all activity on those
    ports to one (or both - but on a home router, running two servers at once
    may not be great) of your computers. In this way, the ip address that your
    isp gives you will now be internally linked to the ip of that particular
    computer in your home network.

    This will then allow the game traffic, such as broadcasts to be transmitted
    and received. In addition - some routers will block general broadcasts as
    well - again - check your routers' web site and its' manual.

    Finally - you may have to check with your isp whether such activity is
    permitted on their system under your terms of service agreement - some
    permit a small game to be run, but some get right ticked when you run
    servers on their networks.

    Good Luck!

    Fred.

    John Smith, Aug 16, 2004
  4. DosE

    Pennywise Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:15:50 GMT, DosE <> wrote:

    |>I am running 2 computers networked through a netgear 4 port router
    |>over my roadrunner connection. They are both win98 SE machines with AMD
    |>processors. My problem is this, I can run LAN games and connect with the
    |>other computer and it plays fine. However, when I go to broadcast a game
    |>over the internet so other people can join my game, my IP address/hostname
    |>won't show up on the list.

    Your broadband right? So a NAT user then ( http://tinyurl.com/3xa5l )
    and http://tinyurl.com/3ldgj .

    Read your router manual and use port forwarding.
    Pennywise, Aug 16, 2004