    but cant figure the hotmail pop address settings - have tried samspade and
    the MX entries there, but to no avail - practical suggestions welcome - or
    am I flogging a dead horse?
    Flighty, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Flighty

    Dave Watson Guest

    "Flighty" <flighty@*nospam*ravenna.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:boj08h$8c5$...
    > I'm trying to configure Mail Magic Monitor and hopefully OE to read

    hotmail,
    > but cant figure the hotmail pop address settings - have tried samspade and
    > the MX entries there, but to no avail - practical suggestions welcome - or
    > am I flogging a dead horse?

    The MX records for hotmail.com with my ISP and I suspect everyone else's
    are:

    bash-2.05$ host -t mx hotmail.com
    hotmail.com mail is handled by 5 mx4.hotmail.com.
    hotmail.com mail is handled by 5 mx1.hotmail.com.
    hotmail.com mail is handled by 5 mx2.hotmail.com.
    hotmail.com mail is handled by 5 mx3.hotmail.com.
    bash-2.05$

    However, Hotmail does not use the arbitrary POP3 port 110 for their mail
    delivery so in effect you wont be able to access your mailbox using magic
    mail, telnet or any other way remotely to check your email, unless you use
    their web interface on their web site and a email client like Outlook
    Express or it's upmarket cousin - Outlook.

    Dave.
    Dave Watson, Nov 8, 2003

  3. Flighty

    °Mike° Guest

    Hotmail does not use POP, and can't be checked by a
    POP3 checker, like MMM.

    To configure OE for Hotmail:

    OLEXP How to Configure Outlook Express to Use Hotmail ...

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 14:57:18 -0000, in
    <boj08h$8c5$>
    Flighty scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Nov 8, 2003
  4. Flighty

    Flighty Guest

    Thanks Dave - have now configured OE to access Hotmail - respect is due

    Flighty, Nov 8, 2003
  5. Flighty

    Flighty Guest

    Cheers Mike - respect