    bridge mode. There are NO errors indicated anywhere.
    According to the ATT tech and his magic machine my line is perfect (5
    mhz bandwidth and no errors of any kind).
    Glenn, Sep 1, 2006

  2. Glenn

    Hank Guest

    1) What do the status lighs show?
    2) Was there a previous DSL provider and is the line clear of a previous
    circuit?
    3) Log onto the modem, usually 192.168.1.1, and what are the status conect
    rate?
    4) Is it a dedicated ciruit or do you shae the copper with a voice circuit,
    and if so are the filters properly set up and all conected to some approved
    device?

    Hank

    Hank, Sep 1, 2006

  3. Can you ping the default gateway [the router] after this happens? If so can
    you tracert to an internet address? What happens if remove the power plug
    from the router for a couple minutes and then plug it in again? You may also
    want to tweak the MTU setting in the router.

    Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Sep 1, 2006
  4. Glenn

    Patty Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 15:17:11 GMT, Glenn wrote:

    > I have AT&T standard DSL. If I connect the DSL modem direct to the
    > com[uter all is OK. If I connect the DSL modem to a Linksys router and
    > the computer to that, after about 2 hours I cannot get anywhere on the
    > internet. I have had ATT replace the modem and I have bought a new
    > router. The only way I can get back to the internet is to power the
    > modem off and on. oh, yes, I use DHCP protocol and the modem is in
    > bridge mode. There are NO errors indicated anywhere.
    > According to the ATT tech and his magic machine my line is perfect (5
    > mhz bandwidth and no errors of any kind).

    I had a strange situation once. Following a short power loss (few seconds)
    I had to keep power cycling my router after my computer went into monitor
    off power setting. I lost my internet connection for my whole network each
    time until I power cycled the router. I ended up changing the power
    setting to "on all the time" which solved the problem with the router.
    Eventually, that same day, I set it back to the original setting and have
    had no more problems with it when my system goes into monitor off mode.

    This system and the router are on an APC battery backup. So, they did not
    lose power during the short power loss.

    Go figure. All has been fine for quite some time now. Just another one of
    those weird computer things.

    Patty
    Patty, Sep 1, 2006
  5. Glenn

    Guest

    Visit your Linksys router's configuration page and make sure you have
    the Keep-Alive feature enabled. When it's not enabled, and after a
    certain period of time of idleness, the DSL will disconnect.

    Glenn wrote:
    > I have AT&T standard DSL. If I connect the DSL modem direct to the
    > com[uter all is OK. If I connect the DSL modem to a Linksys router and
    > the computer to that, after about 2 hours I cannot get anywhere on the
    > internet. I have had ATT replace the modem and I have bought a new
    > router. The only way I can get back to the internet is to power the
    > modem off and on. oh, yes, I use DHCP protocol and the modem is in
    > bridge mode. There are NO errors indicated anywhere.
    > According to the ATT tech and his magic machine my line is perfect (5
    > mhz bandwidth and no errors of any kind).
    , Sep 1, 2006
  6. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    All lights are normal
    ATT is the only provider since 1999 (formerly SWBell)
    The router is 192.168.1.1 The modem is 192.168.0.0 unless it is in
    bridge mode then there is no access.
    It's standard home setup. Voice line with filters for the DSL. The test
    set shows no noise or other interference with a 5mhz clear line.

    Glenn, Sep 2, 2006
  7. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Power the router off and on has no effect. I can't get to the internet
    to ping anything. I lowered trhe MTU setting from 1500 (default) to
    1400. No effect. This all started happening about 2 weeks ago.

    Glenn, Sep 2, 2006
  8. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    I'll have look at that. This all started happening about 2-weeks ago.

    Glenn, Sep 2, 2006
  9. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    I even went out and bought a new router.

    Glenn, Sep 2, 2006
  10. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    I'll go look at that.

    Glenn, Sep 2, 2006
  11. Glenn

    Patty Guest

    On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 23:06:22 GMT, Glenn wrote:

    > I even went out and bought a new router.

    So what's that got to do with anything I wrote? There was nothing wrong
    with my router either.

    Patty
    Patty, Sep 2, 2006
  12. Glenn

    Hank Guest

    Let's aasume your DSL is perfect, I would go with static IP's and the keep
    alive feature.

    Hank

    Hank, Sep 2, 2006
  13. Glenn

    CLV3 Guest

    > It's standard home setup. Voice line with filters for the DSL. The test
    > set shows no noise or other interference with a 5mhz clear line.

    This is off topic....nothing to do with the original problem but was curious
    if you put the filters on the voice connections or modem. It sounds like
    you are using it on the DSL connection.... Most DSL setups I have seen
    require you to set them up at the voice/phone connections.
    CLV3, Sep 7, 2006
  14. Glenn

    CLV3 Guest

    Every DSL setup I have used, you just install the filters where the phones
    are hooked up. You leave the DSL modem unfiltered. Maybe other DSL providers
    are different but thats the way it is with Verizon.
    CLV3, Sep 8, 2006
  15. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    My filter is at the demark (outside under the eves) One filter for the
    whole house. I have had DSL since 1999 and am what is called a "legacy"
    customer. The red & green wires are voice and the black & yellow are DSL

    Glenn, Sep 12, 2006
  16. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    All three of you are right and wrong. You are right for the current
    setup, but wrong for legacy connections.

    Glenn, Sep 12, 2006
  17. Glenn

    Glenn Guest

    Al current DSL connections use PPPoE. I use DHCP.

    Glenn, Sep 12, 2006