Try doing this with IE

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Alex Axolotl, Nov 29, 2004.

  1. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > And some of us choose to ignore it and use a real browser, cant stand IE
    > now. I have downloaded it and will try in a few minutes, hope it allows
    > me to keep bookmarks on the key as well.

    You could even go the whole way and put a penguin in your pocket.
    http://slax.linux-live.org/
    This one includes firefox and NTFS support.

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Collector»NZ, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 30/11/2004 11:45 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Now this is innovative and useful
    >> http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/
    >> USB portable Firefox browser.

    > I have portible USB win95 with IE5.x
    > It's kinda handy really.
    >
    > boot floppy gives USB support, "mounts" drive as c: and windows boots...
    > someone made it for me, no idea who now, but handy none the less.

    True you can do it with IE if you also do it with the OS on the Key as
    well, but this is stand alone Firefox for windows on a USB key.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 29, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  5. Collector»NZ wrote:
    > True you can do it with IE if you also do it with the OS on the Key as
    > well, but this is stand alone Firefox for windows on a USB key.

    you might be able to do it with ie4 that was put on win95... as it was
    "added to" the OS as opposed to being "part of" the OS.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  6. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 30/11/2004 11:45 a.m.:
    >
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now this is innovative and useful
    >>> http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/
    >>> USB portable Firefox browser.

    >> I have portible USB win95 with IE5.x
    >> It's kinda handy really.
    >>
    >> boot floppy gives USB support, "mounts" drive as c: and windows
    >> boots... someone made it for me, no idea who now, but handy none the
    >> less.
    >>

    > True you can do it with IE if you also do it with the OS on the Key as
    > well, but this is stand alone Firefox for windows on a USB key.

    But IE is part of Windows according to Microsofts court evidence.

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 29, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Alex Axolotl wrote:

    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >

    >> And some of us choose to ignore it and use a real browser, cant stand
    >> IE now. I have downloaded it and will try in a few minutes, hope it
    >> allows me to keep bookmarks on the key as well.
    >>

    > You could even go the whole way and put a penguin in your pocket.
    > http://slax.linux-live.org/
    > This one includes firefox and NTFS support.

    whats with the change in posting time... before it was fine, but this
    post is showing as ~1 hour ago... quite odd really.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  9. Alex Axolotl wrote:
    > You could even go the whole way and put a penguin in your pocket.
    > http://slax.linux-live.org/
    > This one includes firefox and NTFS support.

    heh, the dev team must have fairly limited lives...

    "Imagine walking on the street and carrying the only thing you needed in
    life - the 8cm compact disk with your Live Linux CD."

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 29, 2004
  10. Alex Axolotl said the following on 30/11/2004 11:17 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >

    >> And some of us choose to ignore it and use a real browser, cant stand
    >> IE now. I have downloaded it and will try in a few minutes, hope it
    >> allows me to keep bookmarks on the key as well.
    >>

    > You could even go the whole way and put a penguin in your pocket.
    > http://slax.linux-live.org/
    > This one includes firefox and NTFS support.

    Bugger just used my spare key (64Mb) for Firefox, now you tempt me with
    a key version of Linux, its hard to resist, but I need my 512 key for
    the Tomes we write for Govt.

    Be aware my next issue with Xandros is likely to be NTFS RW enabling.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 29, 2004
  11. Alex Axolotl said the following on 30/11/2004 11:17 a.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >

    >> And some of us choose to ignore it and use a real browser, cant stand
    >> IE now. I have downloaded it and will try in a few minutes, hope it
    >> allows me to keep bookmarks on the key as well.
    >>

    > You could even go the whole way and put a penguin in your pocket.
    > http://slax.linux-live.org/
    > This one includes firefox and NTFS support.

    Dam I have just read the site (Quickly) and it is not as I thought a key
    version, but I do know they exist.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 29, 2004
  12. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > Alex Axolotl said the following on 30/11/2004 11:17 a.m.:
    >
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>

    >>> And some of us choose to ignore it and use a real browser, cant stand
    >>> IE now. I have downloaded it and will try in a few minutes, hope it
    >>> allows me to keep bookmarks on the key as well.
    >>>

    >> You could even go the whole way and put a penguin in your pocket.
    >> http://slax.linux-live.org/
    >> This one includes firefox and NTFS support.

    > Dam I have just read the site (Quickly) and it is not as I thought a key
    > version, but I do know they exist.

    I think you can install it to a usbflashdrive
    http://slax.linux-live.org/doc_install.php#inst2flash

    quote
    How to run SLAX Linux from USB FlashDisk

    Boot SLAX CD and plug your USB FlashDisk in. Change directory to /boot
    (or wherever your CDrom is) and start:

    ../create_bootdisk.sh . /dev/sda1 /dev/sda SLAX

    This command will create a directory called SLAX on your flashdrive and
    it will copy all necessary data to it. The first argument (the dot ".")
    means that you wish to create a bootdisk from the current directory.
    Second parameter /dev/sda1 is your FlashDisk's first primary partition
    and the third parameter /dev/sda is the master boot record of your
    flashdrive.

    You can also install SLAX to your hard disk this way. Just replace
    /dev/sda1 by /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda by /dev/hda. Or use the naming
    scheme from devfs - /dev/discs/disc0/part1 and /dev/discs/disc0/disc.
    Note that create_bootdisk.sh script will overwrite your MBR so you won't
    be able to boot any other existing OS from your USB FlashDisk (or harddisk).
    /quote

    There are others I have heard of
    http://www.flonix.com/article.php?id_article=102
    and various other knoppix derivatives
    http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/

    There is enough method here to build exactly what you want on a USB key
    or an IDE disk on module flashdisk and make your own embedded appliances.

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 29, 2004
  13. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Alex Axolotl wrote:
    >
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>

    >>> And some of us choose to ignore it and use a real browser, cant stand
    >>> IE now. I have downloaded it and will try in a few minutes, hope it
    >>> allows me to keep bookmarks on the key as well.
    >>>

    >> You could even go the whole way and put a penguin in your pocket.
    >> http://slax.linux-live.org/
    >> This one includes firefox and NTFS support.

    > whats with the change in posting time... before it was fine, but this
    > post is showing as ~1 hour ago... quite odd really.

    Thanks for the heads up, its a different PC and the clock probably got
    reset by some linux or something attacking its blessed Microsoft soul
    last time it was booted

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 30, 2004
  14. Alex Axolotl

    impossible Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 30/11/2004 11:45 a.m.:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Now this is innovative and useful
    >>> http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/
    >>> USB portable Firefox browser.

    >> I have portible USB win95 with IE5.x
    >> It's kinda handy really.
    >>
    >> boot floppy gives USB support, "mounts" drive as c: and windows boots...
    >> someone made it for me, no idea who now, but handy none the less.
    >>

    > True you can do it with IE if you also do it with the OS on the Key as
    > well, but this is stand alone Firefox for windows on a USB key.

    Please explain the value of this browser-on-a-stick thing -- however it's
    configured. I really don't get it.

    impossible, Nov 30, 2004
  15. impossible said the following on 30/11/2004 2:07 p.m.:
    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 30/11/2004 11:45 a.m.:

    >>>I have portible USB win95 with IE5.x
    >>>It's kinda handy really.
    >>>
    >>>boot floppy gives USB support, "mounts" drive as c: and windows boots...
    >>>someone made it for me, no idea who now, but handy none the less.
    >>>

    >>True you can do it with IE if you also do it with the OS on the Key as
    >>well, but this is stand alone Firefox for windows on a USB key.

    > Please explain the value of this browser-on-a-stick thing -- however it's
    > configured. I really don't get it.

    For me its the comfort of having my favourite browser and bookmarks
    available on any other PC's I use just by plugging in my flash drive.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 30, 2004
  16. Alex Axolotl

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    impossible wrote:

    > Please explain the value of this browser-on-a-stick thing -- however it's
    > configured. I really don't get it.

    You plug it into any 'puter and it has all of your favourite extensions
    and bookmarks and themes and passwords n stuff
    When you find something nice you can add it to your favourites and golly
    gosh its there again on the next 'puter you plug it into.
    It would be nice to have email and messenger on it too.

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 30, 2004
  17. Alex Axolotl said the following on 30/11/2004 2:38 p.m.:
    > impossible wrote:
    >

    >> Please explain the value of this browser-on-a-stick thing -- however
    >> it's configured. I really don't get it.
    >>

    > You plug it into any 'puter and it has all of your favourite extensions
    > and bookmarks and themes and passwords n stuff
    > When you find something nice you can add it to your favourites and golly
    > gosh its there again on the next 'puter you plug it into.
    > It would be nice to have email and messenger on it too.

    Thunderbird is also available at the same site as I quoted for firefox

    Collector»NZ, Nov 30, 2004
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 30/11/2004 2:48 p.m.:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >> Be aware my next issue with Xandros is likely to be NTFS RW enabling.

    > it appears to be enabled by default... at least mine was.

    Not mine, only fat32 enabled by default

    Collector»NZ, Nov 30, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 30, 2004
  20. Alex Axolotl

    impossible Guest

    "Alex Axolotl" <> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >

    >> Please explain the value of this browser-on-a-stick thing -- however it's
    >> configured. I really don't get it.

    > You plug it into any 'puter and it has all of your favourite extensions
    > and bookmarks and themes and passwords n stuff
    > When you find something nice you can add it to your favourites and golly
    > gosh its there again on the next 'puter you plug it into.
    > It would be nice to have email and messenger on it too.

    Ok, good. Thanks for that.

    impossible, Nov 30, 2004