    on all three.

    Thanks!
    Optiker
    CR Optiker, Nov 17, 2003

  2. CR  Optiker

    JohnH Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:45:05 -0800, CR Optiker <> wrote:

    >Last week I posted requesting comments comparing these three cameras: Nikon
    >CP5700, Minolkta DiMage A1 and Fuji FP7000.
    >
    >I got two replies - one suggesting an alternative without addrssing the
    >question, and a second offering a pun on my wording without addressing the
    >question.
    >
    >Anybody out there offering serious comments comparing these? I have read
    >Phil's review of the Minolta and Nikon (no review on the Fuji), Dave's
    >review of the Minolta and Nikon (no review on the Fuji), and Steve's review
    >on all three.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >Optiker

    Not trying to be a smarta$$, but most of us have probably not owned all three
    and therefore cannot give you a comparison. I own a 5700 and love it. Any
    problems I've had with the pics were my fault. The batteries are somewhat
    expensive.

    John
    On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
    JohnH, Nov 17, 2003

  3. CR Optiker wrote:

    > Last week I posted requesting comments comparing these three cameras: Nikon
    > CP5700, Minolkta DiMage A1 and Fuji FP7000.
    >
    > I got two replies - one suggesting an alternative without addrssing the
    > question, and a second offering a pun on my wording without addressing the
    > question.
    >
    > Anybody out there offering serious comments comparing these? I have read
    > Phil's review of the Minolta and Nikon (no review on the Fuji), Dave's
    > review of the Minolta and Nikon (no review on the Fuji), and Steve's review
    > on all three.

    We can't make your decision for you. Be a man and study the features and
    specs and make a decision. We can't get inside your head.

    Or else ask some specific questions.

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 17, 2003
  4. CR  Optiker

    CR Optiker Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:47:39 -0500, JohnH wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:45:05 -0800, CR Optiker <> wrote:
    >
    >>Anybody out there offering serious comments comparing these? I have read

    > Not trying to be a smarta$$, but most of us have probably not owned all three
    > and therefore cannot give you a comparison. I own a 5700 and love it. Any
    > problems I've had with the pics were my fault. The batteries are somewhat
    > expensive.
    >
    > John
    > On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

    John...I understand that most folks haven't owned all three, but I'd be
    happy to have comments based on what others ahve heard or read. Thanks for
    your comments. Another 5700 user replied direct and was also very happy
    with it, with one or two small complaints.

    Thanks again!
    Optiker
    CR Optiker, Nov 17, 2003
  5. CR  Optiker

    CR Optiker Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:04:17 GMT, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    >> Anybody out there offering serious comments comparing these? I have read

    > We can't make your decision for you. Be a man and study the features and
    > specs and make a decision. We can't get inside your head.
    >
    > Or else ask some specific questions.
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Gary...Thank you for your reply.

    Optiker
    CR Optiker, Nov 17, 2003
  6. CR  Optiker

    HRosita Guest

    Hi,

    I own the Minlota Dimage 7hi and am very happy with it. At the time I bought it
    I compared it with the Nikon 5700 and decided on the Minolta for the following
    reasons:

    Manual zoom ring on the lens
    49mm Lens accepts filters without additional equipment
    I like the 28 mm wide angle
    I already have the remote cord
    It uses 4 AA batteries (does not apply to the A1).
    There was more but I don't remember now.

    I my D7hi was not less than 1 year old I would buy the A1 in a heartbeat
    because of the image stabilization.

    I know nothing about the Fuji camera but have a Fuji A303 (3 MB)for carry along
    and it performs well.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Nov 17, 2003
  7. CR  Optiker

    CR Optiker Guest

    On 17 Nov 2003 22:56:55 GMT, HRosita wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I own the Minlota Dimage 7hi and am very happy with it. At the time I bought it
    > I compared it with the Nikon 5700 and decided on the Minolta for the following
    > reasons:
    >
    > Manual zoom ring on the lens
    > 49mm Lens accepts filters without additional equipment
    > I like the 28 mm wide angle
    > I already have the remote cord
    > It uses 4 AA batteries (does not apply to the A1).
    > There was more but I don't remember now.
    >
    > I my D7hi was not less than 1 year old I would buy the A1 in a heartbeat
    > because of the image stabilization.
    >
    > I know nothing about the Fuji camera but have a Fuji A303 (3 MB)for carry along
    > and it performs well.
    > Rosita

    Rosita...Thanks! Good points. How's the D7hi on batteries? As I recall,
    that was one of the issues reported in the reviews. Did you find it to be
    true, or was your use such that it wasn't an issue?

    Optiker
    CR Optiker, Nov 17, 2003
  8. CR  Optiker

    Paul Guest

    Or you could not be such a jerk, and give the guy the benefit of your
    experience.

    Paul, Nov 18, 2003
  9. CR  Optiker

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:21:34 -0800, CR Optiker <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:47:39 -0500, JohnH wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:45:05 -0800, CR Optiker <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anybody out there offering serious comments comparing these? I have read

    >> Not trying to be a smarta$$, but most of us have probably not owned all three
    >> and therefore cannot give you a comparison. I own a 5700 and love it. Any
    >> problems I've had with the pics were my fault. The batteries are somewhat
    >> expensive.
    >>
    >> John
    >> On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

    >John...I understand that most folks haven't owned all three, but I'd be
    >happy to have comments based on what others ahve heard or read. Thanks for
    >your comments. Another 5700 user replied direct and was also very happy
    >with it, with one or two small complaints.

    I have just entered the digi scene with a 5700.

    Very please with it. My only complaint is that it needs some time and
    dedication to get to grips with. Especially for an old timer more used
    to 2.25sq or 5"x4". Its a complex beast - versatile and is reasonably
    tolerant to my ham fists.

    However, I'm starting to get some good results in spite of Reading The
    Fine Manual!
    The zoom of the 5700 is something else...

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Nov 18, 2003
  10. CR  Optiker

    Flux Guest

    CR Optiker wrote:

    > Last week I posted requesting comments comparing these three cameras: Nikon
    > CP5700, Minolkta DiMage A1 and Fuji FP7000.
    >
    > I got two replies - one suggesting an alternative without addrssing the
    > question, and a second offering a pun on my wording without addressing the
    > question.
    >
    > Anybody out there offering serious comments comparing these? I have read
    > Phil's review of the Minolta and Nikon (no review on the Fuji), Dave's
    > review of the Minolta and Nikon (no review on the Fuji), and Steve's review
    > on all three.

    While I can't comment on any of these cameras specifically, I do have the
    S7000 older sibling (FP S602), so here are a few points:

    - the Fuji S602 has the best burst mode(s) of any consumer camera. If you
    intend to shoot lots of action scenes, this is best prosumer camera to do
    it. The S7000 is somewhat slower, but it's still better than the competition.

    - in manual mode it goes down to f/11 aperture and 1/10000 s shutter speed,
    which can be useful in some very bright scenes (note that the lowest ISO is
    160 though). In the automatic modes the shutter range is more limited, but
    the S7000 has a better range in automatic mode anyway.

    - the lens has an annoying amount of distortion at wide-angle. It's not too
    much, but if you want good wide angle you're probably better off with the
    Minolta, that goes down to 28 mm equiv.

    - manual focus could be easier, there's no distance indication and judging
    focus by the EVF or LCD is hard, specially in low light. The electronic
    focus ring is also not as good as a mechanical one, but it's not too bad
    either. (the S7000 has an improved EVF, so judging focus should be slightly
    easier)

    - it has the best grip of all the cameras I've tried (haven't tried the A1,
    only the 7i).

    I think overall the Minolta A1 looks better than the S7000 (but it's also a
    bit more expensive). The Nikon is outclassed in almost every way, but it
    does have the longest zoom and a few other minor advantages. I haven't
    looked very carefully at image quality in any of these cameras though, I'm
    quite happy with my 3MP S602 for now. :)

    Flux
    Flux, Nov 18, 2003
  11. CR  Optiker

    JohnH Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:21:34 -0800, CR Optiker <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:47:39 -0500, JohnH wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 12:45:05 -0800, CR Optiker <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Anybody out there offering serious comments comparing these? I have read

    >> Not trying to be a smarta$$, but most of us have probably not owned all three
    >> and therefore cannot give you a comparison. I own a 5700 and love it. Any
    >> problems I've had with the pics were my fault. The batteries are somewhat
    >> expensive.
    >>
    >> John
    >> On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

    >John...I understand that most folks haven't owned all three, but I'd be
    >happy to have comments based on what others ahve heard or read. Thanks for
    >your comments. Another 5700 user replied direct and was also very happy
    >with it, with one or two small complaints.
    >
    >Thanks again!
    >Optiker

    Hey guy! If you do buy a 5700, come back and let us know. Maybe we can share
    some knowledge.
    JohnH, Nov 18, 2003
  12. CR  Optiker

    JohnH Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 00:50:56 +0000, Donald Gray
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:21:34 -0800, CR Optiker <>
    >wrote:

    >>> Not trying to be a smarta$$, but most of us have probably not owned all three
    >>> and therefore cannot give you a comparison. I own a 5700 and love it. Any
    >>> problems I've had with the pics were my fault. The batteries are somewhat
    >>> expensive.
    >>>
    >>> John
    >>> On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

    >>John...I understand that most folks haven't owned all three, but I'd be
    >>happy to have comments based on what others ahve heard or read. Thanks for
    >>your comments. Another 5700 user replied direct and was also very happy
    >>with it, with one or two small complaints.
    >>

    >I have just entered the digi scene with a 5700.
    >
    >Very please with it. My only complaint is that it needs some time and
    >dedication to get to grips with. Especially for an old timer more used
    >to 2.25sq or 5"x4". Its a complex beast - versatile and is reasonably
    >tolerant to my ham fists.
    >
    >However, I'm starting to get some good results in spite of Reading The
    >Fine Manual!
    >The zoom of the 5700 is something else...

    Probably my biggest problem with the 5700 is inadvertently hitting buttons with
    fingers on my left hand when I think I'm just gripping the camera. It uses CF
    memory real fast when you hit the size button a couple times while thinking the
    pictures are being taken in normal jpeg size!

    JohnH, Nov 18, 2003
  13. CR  Optiker

    JohnH Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:49:42 -0800, CR Optiker <> wrote:

    >On 17 Nov 2003 22:56:55 GMT, HRosita wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I own the Minlota Dimage 7hi and am very happy with it. At the time I bought it
    >> I compared it with the Nikon 5700 and decided on the Minolta for the following
    >> reasons:
    >>
    >> Manual zoom ring on the lens
    >> 49mm Lens accepts filters without additional equipment
    >> I like the 28 mm wide angle
    >> I already have the remote cord
    >> It uses 4 AA batteries (does not apply to the A1).
    >> There was more but I don't remember now.
    >>
    >> I my D7hi was not less than 1 year old I would buy the A1 in a heartbeat
    >> because of the image stabilization.
    >>
    >> I know nothing about the Fuji camera but have a Fuji A303 (3 MB)for carry along
    >> and it performs well.
    >> Rosita

    >Rosita...Thanks! Good points. How's the D7hi on batteries? As I recall,
    >that was one of the issues reported in the reviews. Did you find it to be
    >true, or was your use such that it wasn't an issue?
    >
    >Optiker

    Hi again, I'm not Rosita, but as far as the 5700 goes, I bought an extra
    rechargeable. It has come in handy often. I also carry a 'disposable' for
    emergencies. At about $17 a pop, the disposable gets used only for emergencies.
    The rechargeables are fairly quick charging, about an hour or so.

    JohnH, Nov 18, 2003
  14. CR  Optiker

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:14:51 -0500, in rec.photo.digital JohnH
    <88> wrote:

    >Probably my biggest problem with the 5700 is inadvertently hitting buttons with
    >fingers on my left hand when I think I'm just gripping the camera. It uses CF
    >memory real fast when you hit the size button a couple times while thinking the
    >pictures are being taken in normal jpeg size!

    The add-on MB-E5700 battery grip besides increasing battery capacity with
    AA format and makes portrait shots easier with it's added controls, also
    gives one's left hand a better place to hold. I've always used it and I'm
    not sure I'd like the camera without it.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Ruf, Nov 18, 2003
  15. CR  Optiker

    HRosita Guest

    >CR Optiker wrote:

    >How's the D7hi on batteries? As I recall,
    >that was one of the issues reported in the reviews.

    I use high capacity batterries and (1800 or more Mah) and on one shoot they
    lasted for over 200 images with the LCD active.

    I always carry a fresh spare pack in the camera bag and if I am going for an
    entire day, two spare sets. I understand that the A1 has a proprietary battery
    that lasts more.

    By the way, the Nikon 5700 has been on the market for over a year. Personally I
    would look to the cameras that came on the market during/after the summer of
    2003 which applies to both the Minolta A1 and the Fuji Fine Pix S7000.
    Rosita
    HRosita, Nov 18, 2003
  16. Paul wrote:
    > Or you could not be such a jerk, and give the guy the benefit of your
    > experience.

    All right, I will.

    I tried the Dimage D7 in the store, but didn't like the video
    viewfinder. I like the concept in principle, but it just didn't make me
    want to take pictures with it. Don't know about the other two cameras,
    but I believe they are the same arrangement w respect to viewfinders,
    most features.

    They probably all take fine pictures, but as soon as I picked up the Oly
    E20 and looked through the optical viewfinder, I just HAD to have one.
    It had all of the features of the Dimage, such as through the lens
    viewing and composing, plus live preview and an optical viewfinder that
    was just huge and gorgeous. For me, that was it.

    The point is, the individual features of these cameras and the handling
    and "feel" are all different, and one may turn you on to photography
    more than another. You've just got to see if you can find a store that
    carries them, and try them out in your hands, study the feature sets,
    and see which one your inner self goes for and settles on. My
    experience, wishes, desires, and likes and dislikes have no bearing
    whatsoever on yours.

    That's why I don't like posts that ask us to tell someone which camera
    to choose. You tell me - which car should I choose?

    Gary Eickmeier
    Gary Eickmeier, Nov 18, 2003
  17. CR  Optiker

    JohnH Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 07:12:59 -0500, Ed Ruf <EG*nospam*> wrote:

    >On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 21:14:51 -0500, in rec.photo.digital JohnH
    ><88> wrote:
    >
    >>Probably my biggest problem with the 5700 is inadvertently hitting buttons with
    >>fingers on my left hand when I think I'm just gripping the camera. It uses CF
    >>memory real fast when you hit the size button a couple times while thinking the
    >>pictures are being taken in normal jpeg size!

    >The add-on MB-E5700 battery grip besides increasing battery capacity with
    >AA format and makes portrait shots easier with it's added controls, also
    >gives one's left hand a better place to hold. I've always used it and I'm
    >not sure I'd like the camera without it.
    >Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    >http://members.cox.net/egruf
    >See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    >http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Thanks for the tip!

    JohnH, Nov 18, 2003
  18. CR  Optiker

    CR Optiker Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 13:20:37 GMT, Gary Eickmeier wrote:

    > The point is, the individual features of these cameras and the handling
    > and "feel" are all different, and one may turn you on to photography
    > more than another. You've just got to see if you can find a store that
    > carries them, and try them out in your hands, study the feature sets,
    > and see which one your inner self goes for and settles on. My
    > experience, wishes, desires, and likes and dislikes have no bearing
    > whatsoever on yours.
    >
    > That's why I don't like posts that ask us to tell someone which camera
    > to choose. You tell me - which car should I choose?
    >
    > Gary Eickmeier

    Gary...I really do understand that it's a very individual decision.
    However, unlike many posts with subject lines like "Tell me which camera to
    buy", I didn't ask which to buy. I asked for comnparisons - information
    that would help me make an informed decision.

    I do thank you for your comments regarding the D7 and E20. In the case of
    the E20, I'm sure that if I had a DSLR in my hands with the right lens, I'd
    feel that way too, but I've ruled out a DSLR for a number of reasons,
    otherwise the Digital Rebel would be a strong candidate. I drooled over the
    E20 reviews, but $1200 minimum starting price is out of range, even if I
    didn't have other reasons form ruling out DSLRs.

    Thanks again for being willing to share your experience.

    Optiker
    CR Optiker, Nov 18, 2003
  19. CR  Optiker

    CR Optiker Guest

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:21:34 -0800, CR Optiker wrote:

    >I'd be
    > happy to have comments based on what others ahve heard or read. Thanks for
    > your comments. Another 5700 user replied direct and was also very happy
    > with it, with one or two small complaints.

    Don, John and Ed...Thanks for your responses. I've now had not only some
    very pleased 5700 users, but one very negative reply sent direct to me (see
    below).
    --------------
    I have the 5700 and have been very disappointed in three things:

    battery life stinks
    low contrast focus problems
    low light focus problems (I'm not just talking about night, I'm talking
    about the living room with several lamps)

    This camers DOES NOT have an illuminator which helps in low light (many
    do). Also, if you are intending on buying a flash attachment, this camera
    WILL NOT support auto zoom, auto red eye, and AF illuminator features!!!
    Please be aware of this before you buy this camera.
    ---------------
    I have access to a 5700 at work and had a chance yesterday to spend a half
    hour "playing" with it. In general, I found it pretty easy to use - that
    comment tells you that I didn't get into it very deeply, but I did run it
    through some of the scenarios I'd expect to use it for that are outside of
    the everyday use - macro and tele mostly. I liked what I saw, but I'm still
    undecided - still looking for that one comment that exposes something I
    can't live with...or can't live without. :)

    Thanks again!
    Optiker
    CR Optiker, Nov 18, 2003
  20. CR  Optiker

    CR Optiker Guest

    On 18 Nov 2003 12:14:12 GMT, HRosita wrote:

    > I use high capacity batterries and (1800 or more Mah) and on one shoot they
    > lasted for over 200 images with the LCD active.
    >
    > I always carry a fresh spare pack in the camera bag and if I am going for an
    > entire day, two spare sets. I understand that the A1 has a proprietary battery
    > that lasts more.
    >
    > By the way, the Nikon 5700 has been on the market for over a year. Personally I
    > would look to the cameras that came on the market during/after the summer of
    > 2003 which applies to both the Minolta A1 and the Fuji Fine Pix S7000.
    > Rosita

    Rosita...That's consistent with what I've read. I'm guessing that I'd lean
    towards high capacity rechargeable, and might buy a second set if I find
    that I'm shooting enough to need it. I'm not a professional - at least,
    this camera won't be for profesional use - but both my wife and I will use
    it and we could find we use it a lot more than we use our film cameras (she
    uses a Minolta and I use a Nikon), so we might need a second set.

    Yes, the fact that it's a year old is a factor, and in fact, is one of the
    reasons that the Minolta and Fuji are strong contenders. If it wasn't for
    Phil's fairly strong comments regarding no better than average image
    quality, I probably would have the Minolta by now. The Fuji uses AAA
    batteries, and has some other advantages, but as I said in another reply,
    none of the three has a real show-stopper yet, nor a unique feature I can't
    live without.

    To be perfectly honest, if it wasn't for the relatively poor macro
    performance, I'd still be seriously looking at the Oly 750, but strong
    macro is a high priority.

    Thanks again for your comments.
    Optiker
    CR Optiker, Nov 18, 2003