Trust Your Best Friend With Your Life?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dudley Hanks, May 1, 2009.

  1. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    Dudley Hanks, May 1, 2009

  2. Dudley Hanks

    Sharon Guest

    "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    news:ccwKl.25194$Db2.6420@edtnps83...
    >I do, every day...
    >
    > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=86
    >

    > Take Care,
    > Dudley
    >

    > BTW, how is the focus?

    Looks like Mich is doing his job well, keeping you out of harms way. Part
    of the pavement (between you and the van) appears to be in focus, but
    neither Mich or the van are sharp.

    Sharon

    Sharon, May 1, 2009

  3. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Sharon" <> wrote in message

    > "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    >>I do, every day...
    >>
    >> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=86
    >>

    >> Take Care,
    >> Dudley
    >>

    >> BTW, how is the focus?
    >>

    > Looks like Mich is doing his job well, keeping you out of harms way. Part
    > of the pavement (between you and the van) appears to be in focus, but
    > neither Mich or the van are sharp.
    >
    > Sharon

    Darn, I was afraid of that. I guess I'll have to reshoot.

    Thanks for the help...

    Take Care,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, May 1, 2009
  4. Dudley Hanks

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 1 May 2009 07:04:11 -0700, "Sharon" <> wrote:
    :
    : "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    : news:ccwKl.25194$Db2.6420@edtnps83...
    : >I do, every day...
    : >
    : > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=86
    : >
    : >
    : > Take Care,
    : > Dudley
    : >
    : >
    : >
    : > BTW, how is the focus?
    : >
    : >
    :
    :
    : Looks like Mich is doing his job well, keeping you out of harms way.
    : Part of the pavement (between you and the van) appears to be in focus,
    : but neither Mich or the van are sharp.

    The van is as sharp as it needs to be, and the background trees and the speed
    limit sign, both of which are even farther away, are in reasonably good focus.
    The fact that the dog isn't in focus is mainly due to DOF, not an autofocus
    problem. I'm not sure you can do any better. You have the aperture set to
    f/3.5, and this gave a shutter speed of 1/40. If you stop it down, the slower
    speed will probably cost you as much resolution as you gain; if you push the
    ISO beyond 1600, you'll get noise. And if you focus on the dog, the rest of
    the scene will be blurry.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, May 2, 2009
  5. Dudley Hanks

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 1 May 2009 07:04:11 -0700, "Sharon" <> wrote:
    > :
    > : "Dudley Hanks" <> wrote in message
    > : news:ccwKl.25194$Db2.6420@edtnps83...
    > : >I do, every day...
    > : >
    > : > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=86
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > Take Care,
    > : > Dudley
    > : >
    > : >
    > : >
    > : > BTW, how is the focus?
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > :
    > : Looks like Mich is doing his job well, keeping you out of harms way.
    > : Part of the pavement (between you and the van) appears to be in focus,
    > : but neither Mich or the van are sharp.
    >
    > The van is as sharp as it needs to be, and the background trees and the
    > speed
    > limit sign, both of which are even farther away, are in reasonably good
    > focus.
    > The fact that the dog isn't in focus is mainly due to DOF, not an
    > autofocus
    > problem. I'm not sure you can do any better. You have the aperture set to
    > f/3.5, and this gave a shutter speed of 1/40. If you stop it down, the
    > slower
    > speed will probably cost you as much resolution as you gain; if you push
    > the
    > ISO beyond 1600, you'll get noise. And if you focus on the dog, the rest
    > of
    > the scene will be blurry.
    >
    > Bob

    Thanks, Bob, for those details. That makes my decision a bit tougher,
    though.

    I had wanted to get the shot with a fairly dark background so that the
    headlights would be on, helping to highlight the motion of the vehicle while
    maintaining at least a bit of a usable (handheld) shutter speed.

    You're right, stopping down would yield too slow a shutter speed, which
    would help blur the vehicle, but I doubt Mich would look good even if he
    were in focus, since his head does two or three traffic checks at each
    intersection. His head would definitely be blurred.

    The XSi only goes to 1600, so I had that maxed out already in order to get
    the 1/40 sec exposure.

    I guess I'll have to look for a better location and do a few shots in
    brighter light to see how they look. This particular spot is good because
    the traffic is moving fairly quickly, which keeps Mich looking nice and
    alert, but the angle gives a perspective where the horizon is probably going
    to go through Mich's head, which will probably be distracting with a lighter
    pic.

    Maybe I'll have to go downtown and try it there. The buildings could mask
    the horizon line, and the traffic will be heavier, though slower.

    Ah, I guess I'll just have to shoot some more pics... :)

    Thanks for all the help,
    Dudley

    Dudley Hanks, May 3, 2009