Truprint, Asda, or buy a Selphy?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rudy Lacchin, Apr 11, 2007.

  1. Rudy Lacchin

    Rudy Lacchin Guest

    Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike the
    old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of making
    it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed round for
    grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.

    Two questions:-

    1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint or
    Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the results
    back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about these types
    of services, particularly as regards quality?

    2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
    snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
    reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
    the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
    about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?

    Thanks in advance,
    R.
    Rudy Lacchin, Apr 11, 2007

  2. Rudy Lacchin

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Rudy Lacchin" <> wrote in message

    > Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike
    > the old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of
    > making it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed
    > round for grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.
    >
    > Two questions:-
    >
    > 1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint
    > or Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the
    > results back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about
    > these types of services, particularly as regards quality?

    I use several of these services, including the local drug store, CostCo,
    Ofoto, and snapfish. They are all uniformly high quality, though the drug
    store and CostCo will do 1 hour prints, they have an irritating tendency to
    simply lose the order.

    > 2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
    > snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
    > reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
    > the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
    > about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?

    I have a Selphy dye-sub CP600 and I love it. It's Polaroid deja vu. The
    cost of materials is about 20 cents a print, the quality is good, and it's
    completely portable. One reason I chose dye-sub over inkjet is I wanted
    something guaranteed not to leak (!) in the airplane, but keep in mind the
    estimated refrigerator display life of these prints is about 7 years, and
    Selphy and other inkjet prints may last substantially longer.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    Mike Russell, Apr 11, 2007

  3. Rudy Lacchin

    gpaleo Guest

    Ï "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

    > "Rudy Lacchin" <> wrote in message
    >>

    > I have a Selphy dye-sub CP600 and I love it. It's Polaroid deja vu. The
    > cost of materials is about 20 cents a print, the quality is good, and it's
    > completely portable. One reason I chose dye-sub over inkjet is I wanted
    > something guaranteed not to leak (!) in the airplane, but keep in mind the
    > estimated refrigerator display life of these prints is about 7 years, and
    > Selphy and other inkjet prints may last substantially longer.
    > --
    > Mike Russell
    > www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Plus you can take pix of the grass growing while it prints 10 4x6"
    gpaleo, Apr 11, 2007
  4. Rudy Lacchin

    Mike Russell Guest

    "gpaleo" <> wrote in message
    >Ï "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    >>
    >> "Rudy Lacchin" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> I have a Selphy dye-sub CP600 and I love it. It's Polaroid deja vu. The
    >> cost of materials is about 20 cents a print, the quality is good, and
    >> it's completely portable. One reason I chose dye-sub over inkjet is I
    >> wanted something guaranteed not to leak (!) in the airplane, but keep in
    >> mind the estimated refrigerator display life of these prints is about 7
    >> years, and Selphy and other inkjet prints may last substantially longer.
    >> --
    >> Mike Russell
    >> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    > Plus you can take pix of the grass growing while it prints 10 4x6"

    Which would be under 10 minutes. The printer is a hit at parties. The print
    gets fed through once for each color, and you see the image build up one
    color at a time. If I were doing a large number of prints, it's easy to
    fire it up and go have dinner. One fun thing to do with kids- when you're
    done, you can open up the dye-sub card and unroll about 40 feet of
    multi-colored negatives.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    Mike Russell, Apr 11, 2007
  5. Rudy Lacchin

    Zen Diver Guest

    Rudy Lacchin wrote:
    > Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike the
    > old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of making
    > it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed round for
    > grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.
    >
    > Two questions:-
    >
    > 1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint or
    > Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the results
    > back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about these types
    > of services, particularly as regards quality?

    [Snip}
    > Thanks in advance,
    > R.

    I notice that you are based in the UK and the answers you've had so far
    have been US based.

    I'd like to chip in that I've had good results from Photobox.co.uk
    Really quick turnaround and the quality of the prints has been
    excellent. I even used them to print last years 120 or so Christmas cards.

    If you want I can send you a referral and you will get 30 prints free,
    all you need to do is pay postage which is quite reasonable.

    jon
    Zen Diver, Apr 12, 2007
  6. Rudy Lacchin

    Tony Polson Guest

    "Rudy Lacchin" <> wrote:

    >Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike the
    >old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of making
    >it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed round for
    >grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.
    >
    >Two questions:-
    >
    >1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint or
    >Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the results
    >back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about these types
    >of services, particularly as regards quality?

    Go for Photobox. By far the best of the online services.

    http://www.photobox.co.uk

    >2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
    >snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
    >reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
    >the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
    >about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?

    No need for a dye-sub when there are some superb inkjets, notably the
    Epson PictureMate. The best models in the PictureMate range are the
    original PictureMate and the PictureMate 500. The prints are stunning
    and they are of near-archival quality. These printers have been
    discontinued but can still be purchased new (old stock). Try eBay.

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/

    Tesco is a good source for the ink/paper packs.
    Tony Polson, Apr 12, 2007
  7. On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Rudy Lacchin wrote:

    RL> 2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
    RL> snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
    RL> reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
    RL> the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
    RL> about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?

    My wife has a little Canon dye-sub. The quality of the prints is really
    excellent.

    --
    Alan

    ( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
    However, unless this a very old message, a "tuna" will swim right
    through. )
    Alan Clifford, Apr 12, 2007
  8. Rudy Lacchin

    Alan Guest

    > Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike
    > the old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of
    > making it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed
    > round for grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.
    >
    > Two questions:-
    >
    > 1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint
    > or Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the
    > results back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about
    > these types of services, particularly as regards quality?
    >
    > 2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
    > snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
    > reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
    > the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
    > about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > R.

    Like others I've used Photobox.co.uk for several years and have always
    received great service and excellent quality.

    I have a Canon 6x4" dye-sub which produces good results and is great when I
    need prints now, however if I'm not in a rush I'll use photobox instead as
    they're cheaper.

    Alan.
    Alan, Apr 12, 2007
  9. Rudy Lacchin

    Jeff Taylor Guest

    Alan wrote:

    > Like others I've used Photobox.co.uk for several years and have always
    > received great service and excellent quality.

    Another vote for Photobox!

    They usually come out first in magazine comparisons of online printing
    services.

    My last order was for 150 holiday photos.
    Got an email to say that they'd been uploaded.
    40 mins later got another email to say that they were in the post!
    Arrived next day, superb quality as usual.

    Jeff
    Jeff Taylor, Apr 12, 2007
  10. Rudy Lacchin

    Flying Rat Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > No need for a dye-sub when there are some superb inkjets, notably the
    > Epson PictureMate. The best models in the PictureMate range are the
    > original PictureMate and the PictureMate 500. The prints are stunning
    > and they are of near-archival quality. These printers have been
    > discontinued but can still be purchased new (old stock). Try eBay.
    >
    > http://www.ebay.co.uk/
    >
    > Tesco is a good source for the ink/paper packs.

    My mum (honest!) has one of the HP Photosmart ones, which she is
    extremely satisfied with. Epsons, however, are the definite cream of the
    crop for picture quality, even in their general-usage inkjets. I have an
    all-in-one which is a few years old now but produces excellent results.

    The old dear uses hers with a snapper which has an SD card, she can
    print her stuff off without needing a PC so she's happy. I just fixed
    her up with a spare 1 gig SD card so she can snap away.

    The place I buy my computer bits from has the Epson Picturemate in
    remainder stock. I asked about it recently for someone else and they
    also are at a loss why Epson isn't contiuing the like as they have
    shifted them by the palette load. They do the HP Photosmart ones
    starting at £45 or so.

    http://www.spotonuk.com/Shop~MainCat~Hardware~Cat~Printers~SubCat~Photo
    Inkjet.htm

    FR
    Flying Rat, Apr 13, 2007
  11. Rudy Lacchin

    FotoInsight Guest

    On 13 Apr, 00:19, Flying Rat <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > > No need for a dye-sub when there are some superb inkjets, notably the
    > > Epson PictureMate. The best models in the PictureMate range are the
    > > original PictureMate and the PictureMate 500. The prints are stunning
    > > and they are of near-archival quality. These printers have been
    > > discontinued but can still be purchased new (old stock). Try eBay.

    > >http://www.ebay.co.uk/

    > > Tesco is a good source for the ink/paper packs.

    > My mum (honest!) has one of the HP Photosmart ones, which she is
    > extremely satisfied with. Epsons, however, are the definite cream of the
    > crop for picture quality, even in their general-usage inkjets. I have an
    > all-in-one which is a few years old now but produces excellent results.
    >
    > The old dear uses hers with a snapper which has an SD card, she can
    > print her stuff off without needing a PC so she's happy. I just fixed
    > her up with a spare 1 gig SD card so she can snap away.
    >
    > The place I buy my computer bits from has the Epson Picturemate in
    > remainder stock. I asked about it recently for someone else and they
    > also are at a loss why Epson isn't contiuing the like as they have
    > shifted them by the palette load. They do the HP Photosmart ones
    > starting at £45 or so.
    >
    > http://www.spotonuk.com/Shop~MainCat~Hardware~Cat~Printers~SubCat~Photo
    > Inkjet.htm
    >
    > FR

    Inkjet is more expensive and will vanish over time. Best go for a
    professional online service like FotoInsight: http://fotoinsight.co.uk
    If you are at printing and "archiving", what I would really recommend
    are photo books. The software makes it surprisingly easy to lay-out a
    book and the result is so much more satisfying: http://fotoinsight.co.uk/book
    FotoInsight, Apr 13, 2007
  12. Rudy Lacchin

    Tony Polson Guest

    "FotoInsight" <> wrote:

    >Inkjet is more expensive

    True.

    >and will vanish over time.

    Complete nonsense. Epson inkjet prints from a PictureMate are
    archival. They will probably last just as long as the best chemical
    photo prints - many decades.

    Yes, they are expensive, but they are fast and incredibly convenient.
    If you pay full price for the ink/paper, they cost 29p each. But if
    you buy the ink/paper packs from discount sources, incuding ASDA and
    Tesco, you can get the cost down to 22p-24p per print.

    If you only want a small number of prints at a time, this is the
    cheapest way to do it. If you want more prints at a time, take your
    pix on memory card or CD to a supermarket minilab, or, if outright
    speed is not so important, use an online/mail order service such as
    Photobox.

    I know a lot of people who use Photobox, from amateurs who only shoot
    pictures occasionally, to professionals with a heavy workload who
    expect the highest standards. All of them are 100% happy.

    http://www.photobox.co.uk/
    Tony Polson, Apr 13, 2007
  13. Rudy Lacchin

    chrisu Guest

    Rudy Lacchin wrote:
    > Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike the
    > old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of making
    > it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed round for
    > grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.
    >
    > Two questions:-
    >
    > 1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint or
    > Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the results
    > back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about these types
    > of services, particularly as regards quality?
    >
    > 2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
    > snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
    > reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
    > the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
    > about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > R.

    DP recently did a test of all the online print shops - photobox.com came
    out top.

    --
    1976 Z900, 1980 Z1R, 1973 Beamish suzuki, 1976 GT250, 2000 ZRX1200
    chrisu, Apr 18, 2007