Trunking 3560 switches over a bridged LAN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by jlamanna@gmail.com, Sep 20, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi,
    I have the following configuration between 2 offices.

    3560 <-> Router <-> Point To Point T1 <-> Router <-> 3560

    What I would like to do is trunk the 2 3560s together (using VTP and
    configuring trunk ports) over the PTP T1.
    Cisco has the idea of a 'transparent bridge' (set bridge-group on the
    routers) to bridge between the Serial and Ethernet interfaces.

    Some questions:

    - Has anyone ever done this? Bits of sample config for the routers
    would be great.
    For instance, do I need to configure an IP on the ethernet interfaces
    of the routers or just leave them with no IP since they are bridged?
    - Should the 3560 in office 1 be able to ping a trunked VLAN address
    of the 3560 of the other office directly over the bridge?

    Any help would be appreciated. This is the first time I've dealt with
    WAN links.
    , Sep 20, 2007

  2. Merv Guest

    WHY ???
    Merv, Sep 20, 2007

  3. Guest

    Are you saying why I would trunk the switches and select certain VLANs
    to trunk across?
    I would find that easier than setting up all the routes between the
    switches and the routers on both ends.
    The problem I have is that I have servers in one location that _must_
    be accessed by the other location over the WAN link.

    I would set the VLANs up so that the PCs in each office reside on
    their own VLANs and that VLAN traffic does not get routed.
    Only traffic between a PC VLAN and a server VLAN would get sent over
    the link.

    If this is such a bad idea, what would you suggest?

    > WHY ???
    , Sep 21, 2007
  4. Merv Guest

    You should be able to setup up a dynamic routing protocol on the
    routers and the switches with very little effort.

    The issue you will create if you trunk VLANS is that unnecessary
    broadcast traffic will pass over the T! WAN liink and that would not
    be a good thing.
    Merv, Sep 21, 2007