    4. Can these IP subnets communicate with each other ( via the
    workstation as router ) ?

    , Jan 10, 2012

  2. Mark Huizer Guest

    The wise enlightened me with:
    > Hi, all,
    >
    > A simple question:
    > 1. A layer 2 Catalyst switch with different VLANs configured.
    > 2. A trunk configured in a switch port
    > 3. A windows workstation with only one NIC
    > 4. The workstation is connected to this trunk port.
    >
    > Questions:
    > 1. If different IP addresses to the workstation ( one NIC only )

    Is that a question?

    > 2. can this workstation work ( this workstation connected to a switch
    > trunk port )?

    yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it
    correctly

    > 3. can this workstation go to these different IP subnets ?

    yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it
    correctly

    > 4. Can these IP subnets communicate with each other ( via the
    > workstation as router ) ?

    yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it
    correctly

    Mark

    Mark Huizer, Jan 10, 2012

  3. Guest

    On 1月10æ—¥, 下åˆ4時05分, Mark Huizer <>
    wrote:
    > The wise enlightened me with:
    >
    > > Hi, all,

    > > A simple question:
    > > 1. A layer 2 Catalyst switch with different VLANs configured.
    > > 2. A trunk configured in a switch port
    > > 3. A windows workstation with only one NIC
    > > 4. The workstation is connected to this trunk port.

    > > Questions:
    > > 1. If different IP addresses to the workstation ( one NIC only )

    > Is that a question?
    >
    > > 2. can this workstation work ( this workstation connected to a switch
    > > trunk port )?

    > yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it
    > correctly
    >
    > > 3. can this workstation go to these different IP subnets ?

    > yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it
    > correctly
    >
    > > 4. Can these IP subnets communicate with each other ( via the
    > > workstation as router ) ?

    > yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it
    > correctly
    >
    > Mark

    Hi,
    Thanks for the answers.

    Want to know more:
    1. in Q4, if workstation is as router between these subnets by
    default ?
    2. How can I configure the workstation for only the workstation can
    communicate with these individual subnets, but other hosts in these
    subnets can not communicate each other ?

    Thanks a lot

    , Jan 11, 2012
  4. Uli Link Guest

    schrieb:
    >>> 4. Can these IP subnets communicate with each other ( via the
    >>> workstation as router ) ?

    >> yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it
    >> correctly
    >>

    > Want to know more:
    > 1. in Q4, if workstation is as router between these subnets by
    > default ?

    You should understand the difference between a physical NIC and logical
    NICs for each configured 802.1q VLAN first.

    If the O/S is forwarding packets between different logical
    NICs/interfaces depends. By default Windows does NOT route.

    > 2. How can I configure the workstation for only the workstation can
    > communicate with these individual subnets, but other hosts in these
    > subnets can not communicate each other ?

    Access-lists.

    --
    ULi

    Uli Link, Jan 11, 2012
  5. Guest

    On 1月12æ—¥, 上åˆ2時21分, Uli Link<>
    wrote:

    > >> yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you configure it
    > >> correctly

    > > Want to know more:
    > > 1.  in Q4, if workstation is as router between these subnets by
    > > default ?

    > You should understand the difference between a physical NIC and logical
    > NICs for each configured 802.1q VLAN first.
    >
    > If the O/S is forwarding packets between different logical
    > NICs/interfaces depends. By default Windows does NOT route.
    >
    > > 2.  How can I configure the workstation for only the workstation can
    > > communicate with these individual subnets, but other hosts in these
    > > subnets can not communicate each other ?

    > Access-lists.
    >
    > --
    > ULi

    Hi,
    For the answer "Access-list"; you mean ACL in Switch or workstation ?

    1. Switches are configured in Layer 2 and no inter-VLAN route in the
    whole network environment, what ACL is applied ?
    if ACL in windows platform, May I know how to create a ACL in
    windows since I never do a ACL in window ?

    2. What is the checklist in windows system/driver in order to enable
    the NIC drive supports
    2.1 "4. Can these IP subnets communicate with each other ( via the
    workstation as router ) ?
    yes, if the operating system/driver supports this and you
    configure it
    correctly "

    Thanks for the help

    , Jan 12, 2012