    trunking mode

    Switch#show ver
    IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(14)EA1
    Ned, Mar 19, 2006

  2. Ned

    Guest

    I think to set the port to trunk it's simply
    switchport mode trunk
    then to set the encasulation to dot1q it's
    encap dot1q

    In fact if memory serve me correctly the 2950's only support dot1q and
    the 1900's only supported ISL (CCNA test topics!)
    It's only the Catalyst's that support both
    No idea why this is the case!
    , Mar 19, 2006

  3. Ned

    stephen Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I think to set the port to trunk it's simply
    > switchport mode trunk
    > then to set the encasulation to dot1q it's
    > encap dot1q

    you might not be able to "set" 802.1Q mode if that is all there is - do a
    "show interface" or show switchport (cat 6ks, so i dont use 2950s) once you
    have configured a port and you should get the mode info.

    AFAIR the ref to "native" means 802.1Q is supported, since there isnt
    anything equivalent on ISL.

    > In fact if memory serve me correctly the 2950's only support dot1q and
    > the 1900's only supported ISL (CCNA test topics!)
    > It's only the Catalyst's that support both
    > No idea why this is the case!

    probably a limitation of a chipset used - higher end cisco gear uses their
    own chips so more likely that they build in support for the proprietary ISL
    format.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    stephen, Mar 19, 2006
  4. "Ned" <> skrev i en meddelelse
    >I am trying to set up a trunk port with DOT1Q encapsulation - but in
    > config mode I don't get the option to set any encapsulation; any
    > suggestions - see below:

    Since the 2950 only support dot1q there is no need for setting encapsulation
    at the command line.

    --
    Best regards
    Martin Kiefer
    Martin Kiefer, Mar 19, 2006
  5. Ned

    chris Guest

    "Ned" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to set up a trunk port with DOT1Q encapsulation - but in
    > config mode I don't get the option to set any encapsulation; any
    > suggestions - see below:
    >
    > Switch(config-if)#switchport trunk ?
    > allowed Set allowed VLAN characteristics when interface is in
    > trunking mode
    > native Set trunking native characteristics when interface is in
    > trunking
    > mode
    > pruning Set pruning VLAN characteristics when interface is in
    > trunking mode
    >
    > Switch#show ver
    > Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
    > IOS (tm) C2950 Software (C2950-I6Q4L2-M), Version 12.1(14)EA1

    labcat2950(config-if)#switchport trunk ?
    allowed Set allowed VLAN characteristics when interface is in trunking
    mode
    native Set trunking native characteristics when interface is in trunking
    mode
    pruning Set pruning VLAN characteristics when interface is in trunking
    mode

    labcat2950(config-if)#switchport mode
    labcat2950(config-if)#switchport mode ?
    access Set trunking mode to ACCESS unconditionally
    dynamic Set trunking mode to dynamically negotiate access or trunk mode
    trunk Set trunking mode to TRUNK unconditionally

    Chris.
    chris, Mar 19, 2006