    scaner printer for helping me with this. I have not
    figured how to send/recieve fax with it pluged into the
    laptop and no phone landline. thanks for the help
    jim, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Jim,

    The Siemans S46 is not a phone that I am particularly familiar with, but I
    think that it is fair to say that your data rates will greatly vary.
    You need to discuss with your provider the expectations about data rates
    that you may have. CDMA technology may have very high latency, meaning that
    things may take a long time to load.
    Now, I am not sure what you mean by "only getting online via Internet
    Explorer". What other applications do you use?

    If you could do some preliminary diagnostics for me, that would help me
    understand your situation. Could you do the following?
    1 Click Start
    2 Click Run
    3 Type "command"
    4 From the command window type: ping -w 60000 www.google.com
    You should see the results in the form of either replies or timeouts. If
    you could tell me what sort of time is being returned.
    Anything larger than 1 second is a long time. CDMA times can be up to
    several minutes I have been told. I advise you to talk to your phone
    provider about these problems and tell them that you are seeing
    very slow data access times.

    Now, this is your data access problem. When you mention faxes, you are
    referring to the fax/modem capabilities of the telefone, I assume. Now,
    using the software coming with the phone
    should provide you with a fax client. Such a piece of software would
    basically pickup the phone and act like a fax machine, allowing you to save,
    view and print out your received faxes. Now, Windows XP doesn't come with
    that software, and I am guessing that your phone might.come with this
    software. Once you install it, you should be able to do all the faxing you
    want.

    --
    Brian Wehrle

    Software Test Engineer/Wireless Networking
    Microsoft Corp.

    Brian Wehrle [MSFT], Nov 17, 2004