True Image can't find hard drive...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Joe, Nov 4, 2007.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I have tried all I can think of, but Acronis True Image v.11 does not want
    to know about my sata drives. I've tried the windows version, the boot cd
    version, but the program keeps saying it can't find any hard drives. Very
    strange, as it 'did' make a backup of my satas 2 weeks ago onto the Seagate
    USB external drive. So, I have a backup of my drive which I now can't
    re-install. I've been in contact with Acronis who make the program and both
    their 'chat with support' email from their technicians have produced
    nothing. The told me to download a patch/update, which I did, but had no
    effect on the situation whatsoever.

    Hmm.

    P.S.
    My seagate external drive is an IDE/ATA drive with USB connection.
    I use Win XP MCE and my pc is a Dell Dimension 9200 w/ Core2DUO, 2GB Ram,
    320 GB hard drive (2 x 160GB Satas).

    Any advice more than welcome.

    Joe.

    Joe, Nov 4, 2007

  2. Joe

    Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote:

    >I have tried all I can think of, but Acronis True Image v.11 does not want
    >to know about my sata drives. I've tried the windows version, the boot cd
    >version, but the program keeps saying it can't find any hard drives. Very
    >strange, as it 'did' make a backup of my satas 2 weeks ago onto the Seagate
    >USB external drive. So, I have a backup of my drive which I now can't
    >re-install. I've been in contact with Acronis who make the program and both
    >their 'chat with support' email from their technicians have produced
    >nothing. The told me to download a patch/update, which I did, but had no
    >effect on the situation whatsoever.
    >
    >Hmm.
    >
    >P.S.
    >My seagate external drive is an IDE/ATA drive with USB connection.
    >I use Win XP MCE and my pc is a Dell Dimension 9200 w/ Core2DUO, 2GB Ram,
    >320 GB hard drive (2 x 160GB Satas).
    >
    >Any advice more than welcome.
    >
    >Joe.

    Hello Joe,

    I'd bet the problem lies in the mixed SATA / ATA drives. When Acronis
    reboots from the ATA drive (the backup) in the restore process, it can't
    see the SATA drives because the ATA drive doesn't require SATA drivers
    to be loaded. I would bet the answer lies in forcing some SATA drivers
    on to the ATA drive, but I wouldn't know how to go about it offhand. In
    the future it would likely eliminate the problem to use SATA all the way
    around (which doesn't help you at the moment, I realize). I'd Google

    acronis +"ATA to SATA"

    and adjust the search string as needed to get helpful hits. One thing
    I've learned is that whatever you go through, someone has gone through
    it before you and found a way out. :) Sometimes it's just a little
    harder to find those people that have had your particular problem!

    Good luck!

    , Nov 4, 2007

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "KJ" <> wrote in message
    > Hello Joe,
    >
    > I'd bet the problem lies in the mixed SATA / ATA drives. When Acronis
    > reboots from the ATA drive (the backup) in the restore process, it can't
    > see the SATA drives because the ATA drive doesn't require SATA drivers
    > to be loaded. I would bet the answer lies in forcing some SATA drivers
    > on to the ATA drive, but I wouldn't know how to go about it offhand. In
    > the future it would likely eliminate the problem to use SATA all the way
    > around (which doesn't help you at the moment, I realize). I'd Google
    >
    > acronis +"ATA to SATA"
    >
    > and adjust the search string as needed to get helpful hits. One thing
    > I've learned is that whatever you go through, someone has gone through
    > it before you and found a way out. :) Sometimes it's just a little
    > harder to find those people that have had your particular problem!
    >
    > Good luck!

    That sounds very feasable to me, and I'll take your advice and search
    google.
    Thanks for replying.

    Joe.

    Joe, Nov 5, 2007
  4. Joe

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:51:10 GMT, Joe wrote:

    >"KJ" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello Joe,
    >>
    >> I'd bet the problem lies in the mixed SATA / ATA drives. When Acronis
    >> reboots from the ATA drive (the backup) in the restore process, it can't
    >> see the SATA drives because the ATA drive doesn't require SATA drivers
    >> to be loaded. I would bet the answer lies in forcing some SATA drivers
    >> on to the ATA drive, but I wouldn't know how to go about it offhand. In
    >> the future it would likely eliminate the problem to use SATA all the way
    >> around (which doesn't help you at the moment, I realize). I'd Google
    >>
    >> acronis +"ATA to SATA"
    >>
    >> and adjust the search string as needed to get helpful hits. One thing
    >> I've learned is that whatever you go through, someone has gone through
    >> it before you and found a way out. :) Sometimes it's just a little
    >> harder to find those people that have had your particular problem!
    >>
    >> Good luck!

    >That sounds very feasable to me, and I'll take your advice and search
    >google.
    >Thanks for replying.

    TI10 is th same, Bought a Dell 1501 last year went for the larger HD
    hence SATA. Booting TI10 CD in the 2 modes basic and advanced was it?

    I can't recall exactly what happened, basic mode saw the external USB
    drive but not the SATA disk. Advanced mode saw the SATA disk /
    partitions but not the USB external drive.

    Now starting to have other issues with TI10, and don't see TI11 being
    worth an upgrade.

    Me

    why?, Nov 5, 2007
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    > On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:51:10 GMT, Joe wrote:
    >

    >>"KJ" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hello Joe,
    >>>
    >>> I'd bet the problem lies in the mixed SATA / ATA drives. When Acronis
    >>> reboots from the ATA drive (the backup) in the restore process, it can't
    >>> see the SATA drives because the ATA drive doesn't require SATA drivers
    >>> to be loaded. I would bet the answer lies in forcing some SATA drivers
    >>> on to the ATA drive, but I wouldn't know how to go about it offhand. In
    >>> the future it would likely eliminate the problem to use SATA all the way
    >>> around (which doesn't help you at the moment, I realize). I'd Google
    >>>
    >>> acronis +"ATA to SATA"
    >>>
    >>> and adjust the search string as needed to get helpful hits. One thing
    >>> I've learned is that whatever you go through, someone has gone through
    >>> it before you and found a way out. :) Sometimes it's just a little
    >>> harder to find those people that have had your particular problem!
    >>>
    >>> Good luck!

    >>That sounds very feasable to me, and I'll take your advice and search
    >>google.
    >>Thanks for replying.

    > TI10 is th same, Bought a Dell 1501 last year went for the larger HD
    > hence SATA. Booting TI10 CD in the 2 modes basic and advanced was it?
    >
    > I can't recall exactly what happened, basic mode saw the external USB
    > drive but not the SATA disk. Advanced mode saw the SATA disk /
    > partitions but not the USB external drive.
    >
    > Now starting to have other issues with TI10, and don't see TI11 being
    > worth an upgrade.
    >
    > Me

    That is very bad news indeed as I have used the program for some years now
    and had made some backups hoping to get them onto sata drives. I hope that
    Acronis get this one sorted out real soon as I really need this program to
    work since I have my previous hard drive image stuck on the external usb
    drive...'unusable.

    Cheers.
    Joe.

    Joe, Nov 6, 2007
  6. Joe

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:13:03 GMT, Joe wrote:

    >> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:51:10 GMT, Joe wrote:
    >>

    >>>"KJ" <> wrote in message

    <big snip>

    >> I can't recall exactly what happened, basic mode saw the external USB
    >> drive but not the SATA disk. Advanced mode saw the SATA disk /
    >> partitions but not the USB external drive.
    >>
    >> Now starting to have other issues with TI10, and don't see TI11 being
    >> worth an upgrade.
    >>
    >> Me

    >That is very bad news indeed as I have used the program for some years now
    >and had made some backups hoping to get them onto sata drives. I hope that
    >Acronis get this one sorted out real soon as I really need this program to
    >work since I have my previous hard drive image stuck on the external usb
    >drive...'unusable.

    My plan if I move to a SATA only PC is use the spare ATA card and have a
    copy of Win + drivers. The other PC ATA has a SATA card. So something
    always lets me get the data.

    May try a trial TI11 and see what happens.

    Basic gripes with TI were also mentioned in a backup thread not too long
    ago.

    Task fails on a read error, no log , skip file and continue.

    No VSS, in home products.

    Locking during backup. Although it was mentioned TI11 is better.

    Me

    why?, Nov 6, 2007
  7. Joe

    Joe Guest

    > On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:13:03 GMT, Joe wrote:
    >

    >>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > <big snip>
    >
    >>> I can't recall exactly what happened, basic mode saw the external USB
    >>> drive but not the SATA disk. Advanced mode saw the SATA disk /
    >>> partitions but not the USB external drive.
    >>>
    >>> Now starting to have other issues with TI10, and don't see TI11 being
    >>> worth an upgrade.
    >>>
    >>> Me

    >>That is very bad news indeed as I have used the program for some years now
    >>and had made some backups hoping to get them onto sata drives. I hope that
    >>Acronis get this one sorted out real soon as I really need this program to
    >>work since I have my previous hard drive image stuck on the external usb
    >>drive...'unusable.

    > My plan if I move to a SATA only PC is use the spare ATA card and have a
    > copy of Win + drivers. The other PC ATA has a SATA card. So something
    > always lets me get the data.
    >
    > May try a trial TI11 and see what happens.
    >
    > Basic gripes with TI were also mentioned in a backup thread not too long
    > ago.
    >
    > Task fails on a read error, no log , skip file and continue.
    >
    > No VSS, in home products.
    >
    > Locking during backup. Although it was mentioned TI11 is better.
    >
    > Me

    I came across this....

    http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/inpress/2005/02-28-en-smallbizpipeline-trueimage.html

    It seems 'all I need to do now' is get myself a copy of the driver/s for the
    sata drives in my system. :)

    Anyone know where I might get these from?

    Might I be able to install them from a Windows XP repair as suggested in the
    link above?

    Joe.

    P.S.
    I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with 2 x 160 GB sata drives as raid0 stripe.

    Joe, Nov 6, 2007
  8. Joe

    Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote:

    >I came across this....
    >
    >http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/company/inpress/2005/02-28-en-smallbizpipeline-trueimage.html
    >
    >It seems 'all I need to do now' is get myself a copy of the driver/s for the
    >sata drives in my system. :)
    >
    >Anyone know where I might get these from?
    >
    >Might I be able to install them from a Windows XP repair as suggested in the
    >link above?
    >
    >Joe.
    >
    >P.S.
    >I have a Dell Dimension 9200 with 2 x 160 GB sata drives as raid0 stripe.

    I didn't read the link yet but the drivers should be available from
    Dell's site by following Support links and entering your system info. If
    Dell doesn't supply them the manufacturer will, but you need to know who
    makes the drives -- again this should be available through Dell, unless
    you would find it easier to just open the machine and take a peek. You
    sound pretty adept, but here's the service manual, if needed:

    http://support2.jp.dell.com/docs/systems/dim9200/en/SM_EN/parts.htm

    The drive make/manufacturer might also be available through the
    CMOS/BIOS screens. It usually lists make and serial number of drives.
    I'm sure you know the drill... [hit Del key during boot to access the
    BIOS setup].

    HTH!

    , Nov 6, 2007
  9. Joe

    Guest

    KJ () wrote:

    >I didn't read the link yet but the drivers should be available from
    >Dell's site by following Support links and entering your system info. If
    >Dell doesn't supply them the manufacturer will, but you need to know who
    >makes the drives -- [...]

    Answering my own post, it is the SATA drivers you need (as you stated)
    not the hard drive drivers. SATA control is built into the motherboard,
    and will likely be Silicon or VIA chips. Again, Dell should make these
    available (and they likely included them on media with your system, if
    you have any of the original stuff that came with the Dell). You need
    the SATA drivers on a floppy (if your system has a floppy drive) or CD.

    , Nov 6, 2007
  10. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "KJ" <> wrote in message
    > KJ () wrote:
    >

    >>I didn't read the link yet but the drivers should be available from
    >>Dell's site by following Support links and entering your system info. If
    >>Dell doesn't supply them the manufacturer will, but you need to know who
    >>makes the drives -- [...]

    > Answering my own post, it is the SATA drivers you need (as you stated)
    > not the hard drive drivers. SATA control is built into the motherboard,
    > and will likely be Silicon or VIA chips. Again, Dell should make these
    > available (and they likely included them on media with your system, if
    > you have any of the original stuff that came with the Dell). You need
    > the SATA drivers on a floppy (if your system has a floppy drive) or CD.

    Thanks, you are a mine of info! I'll get to work on that right away.

    Joe.

    Joe, Nov 6, 2007
  11. Joe

    Guest

    Looks like your SATA driver is here:

    http://tinyurl.com/35d4fs

    but I'd double-check that this is your Dell (there is also a Dell 9200c
    and I didn't look to see if the SATA driver was the same, though it
    likely is). Apparently Intel SATA chipsets use the Intel "Matrix Storage
    Manager" and driver. I'm not familiar with Intel chipsets or protocols,
    being an AMD fan.

    This page might also be helpful but you shouldn't need it:
    http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-015001.htm

    Maybe this will get you a little further, along with the Acronis link
    you found that explains the procedure.

    , Nov 7, 2007
  12. Joe

    Spuds Guest

    On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:13:03 GMT, "Joe" <> wrote:

    >> On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 01:51:10 GMT, Joe wrote:
    >>

    >>>"KJ" <> wrote in message

    >>>That sounds very feasable to me, and I'll take your advice and search
    >>>google.
    >>>Thanks for replying.

    >> TI10 is th same, Bought a Dell 1501 last year went for the larger HD
    >> hence SATA. Booting TI10 CD in the 2 modes basic and advanced was it?
    >>
    >> I can't recall exactly what happened, basic mode saw the external USB
    >> drive but not the SATA disk. Advanced mode saw the SATA disk /
    >> partitions but not the USB external drive.
    >>
    >> Now starting to have other issues with TI10, and don't see TI11 being
    >> worth an upgrade.
    >>
    >> Me

    >That is very bad news indeed as I have used the program for some years now
    >and had made some backups hoping to get them onto sata drives. I hope that
    >Acronis get this one sorted out real soon as I really need this program to
    >work since I have my previous hard drive image stuck on the external usb
    >drive...'unusable.

    I see there's been an update to TrueImage 11, build 8053 dated November 07,
    2007. Maybe the issue is fixed.

    Spuds, Nov 10, 2007
  13. Joe

    Joe Guest

    "Spuds" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:13:03 GMT, "Joe" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    >>> TI10 is th same, Bought a Dell 1501 last year went for the larger HD
    >>> hence SATA. Booting TI10 CD in the 2 modes basic and advanced was it?
    >>>
    >>> I can't recall exactly what happened, basic mode saw the external USB
    >>> drive but not the SATA disk. Advanced mode saw the SATA disk /
    >>> partitions but not the USB external drive.
    >>>
    >>> Now starting to have other issues with TI10, and don't see TI11 being
    >>> worth an upgrade.
    >>>
    >>> Me

    >>That is very bad news indeed as I have used the program for some years now
    >>and had made some backups hoping to get them onto sata drives. I hope that
    >>Acronis get this one sorted out real soon as I really need this program to
    >>work since I have my previous hard drive image stuck on the external usb
    >>drive...'unusable.

    > I see there's been an update to TrueImage 11, build 8053 dated November
    > 07,
    > 2007. Maybe the issue is fixed.

    Nope, it's still not fixed, so the message is "if you use SATA drives and
    back up to ATA/IDE, do NOT use Acronis True Image, as it doesn't work with
    them". I doubt it ever will as I've talked to their "techies" and they ain't
    got a clue what to do.

    Joe.

    Joe, Nov 10, 2007
  14. Joe

    Joe Guest

    IT'S FIXED!!

    Gawd, I can hardly belive it! I got an email from Acronis tonight saying the
    latest build of True Image V.11 has overcome the problem with the sata
    drives, so I downloaded the trial version of build 8053....'and I just
    recovered my sata drive from another partition on the same drive.

    Well done Acronis and thanks for listening!

    Joe.

    Joe, Nov 10, 2007
  15. Joe

    Spuds Guest

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:18:01 GMT, "Joe" <> wrote:

    >IT'S FIXED!!
    >
    >Gawd, I can hardly belive it! I got an email from Acronis tonight saying the
    >latest build of True Image V.11 has overcome the problem with the sata
    >drives, so I downloaded the trial version of build 8053....'and I just
    >recovered my sata drive from another partition on the same drive.
    >
    >Well done Acronis and thanks for listening!
    >
    >Joe.

    Acronis has excellent tech support in my experience. Fast to respond to any
    issues I've had. Glad the new release did the trick.

    Spuds, Nov 11, 2007
  16. Joe

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:18:01 GMT, Joe wrote:

    >IT'S FIXED!!
    >
    >Gawd, I can hardly belive it! I got an email from Acronis tonight saying the
    >latest build of True Image V.11 has overcome the problem with the sata
    >drives, so I downloaded the trial version of build 8053....'and I just
    >recovered my sata drive from another partition on the same drive.
    >
    >Well done Acronis and thanks for listening!

    Thanks for the update.

    Nice one, may consider an upgrade now.

    Me

    why?, Nov 12, 2007