    task. If so, which one might be a better at the job.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Tom

    therod, Jul 28, 2006

  2. therod

    PeeCee Guest

    "therod" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I want to get rid of my diskette library. I have a lot of a old
    > software on diskettes that I want to save on CD. For example, I have
    > some Borland C++ diskettes (14 diskettes in the set) that I would like
    > to create images of and then put them all on a single CD so that, if I
    > ever wanted to re-install the stuff, I could do it from one CD rather
    > than 14 diskettes.
    >
    > My question is, will True Image or Norton Ghost help me accomplish this
    > task. If so, which one might be a better at the job.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Tom

    Tom

    In general these two programs are for backing up partitions on your hard
    drive, not individual floppies.

    One way you could archive the old floppies is to create folders for each
    floppy (disk1, disk2....) and copy the contents to there, then using your
    burning program (Nero, NTI, Roxio....) burn these folders to a CD.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jul 28, 2006

  3. therod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    therod wrote:
    > I want to get rid of my diskette library. I have a lot of a old
    > software on diskettes that I want to save on CD. For example, I have
    > some Borland C++ diskettes (14 diskettes in the set) that I would like
    > to create images of and then put them all on a single CD so that, if I
    > ever wanted to re-install the stuff, I could do it from one CD rather
    > than 14 diskettes.
    >
    > My question is, will True Image or Norton Ghost help me accomplish
    > this task. If so, which one might be a better at the job.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Tom

    Neither. Those programs are for making images of hard drives to another hard
    drive.

    All you need to do is copy the diskettes to organized folders on your hard
    drive, and use your regular CD burning software to burn those folders to
    disc. Make a main folder: C:\program_name, and then subfolders under that:
    c:\program_name\disk_1, ...\disk_2, etc. and copy each disk to it's own
    folder. Why? Many older install programs that ran from floppy disc will NOT
    work correctly from a CD. You would need to re-create the floppy discs to do
    the install, INCLUDING the floppy disk original volume name for some
    programs. So maybe a text file with the list of volume names would be a good
    idea.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2006
  4. PeeCee wrote:

    > create folders for each floppy (disk1, disk2....)

    Better: disk01, disk02, ... disk14

    This way they will sort alphabetically, and be in the expected order.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 28, 2006
  5. therod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > PeeCee wrote:
    >
    >> create folders for each floppy (disk1, disk2....)

    > Better: disk01, disk02, ... disk14
    >
    > This way they will sort alphabetically, and be in the expected order.

    Good point. I do that with my photos. I started in December scanning Dad's
    slides from the year 1954 at 0001, and now I'm up to July 1973 - slide
    number 1877. Of course, that's just the number in front - I have nice long
    descriptive file names after the number. There must be over 1500 more slides
    to go...

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2006
  6. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Neither. Those programs are for making images of hard drives to another
    > hard drive.
    >
    > All you need to do is copy the diskettes to organized folders on your hard
    > drive, and use your regular CD burning software to burn those folders to
    > disc. Make a main folder: C:\program_name, and then subfolders under that:
    > c:\program_name\disk_1, ...\disk_2, etc. and copy each disk to it's own
    > folder. Why? Many older install programs that ran from floppy disc will
    > NOT work correctly from a CD. You would need to re-create the floppy discs
    > to do the install, INCLUDING the floppy disk original volume name for some
    > programs. So maybe a text file with the list of volume names would be a
    > good idea.

    Or he could make images of the floppies with something like this:
    http://www.towodo.com/products/floppyimage/

    Might be quicker as well if it has some sort of continuous mode.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 28, 2006
  7. therod

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Neither. Those programs are for making images of hard drives to
    >> another hard drive.
    >>
    >> All you need to do is copy the diskettes to organized folders on
    >> your hard drive, and use your regular CD burning software to burn
    >> those folders to disc. Make a main folder: C:\program_name, and then
    >> subfolders under that: c:\program_name\disk_1, ...\disk_2, etc. and
    >> copy each disk to it's own folder. Why? Many older install programs
    >> that ran from floppy disc will NOT work correctly from a CD. You
    >> would need to re-create the floppy discs to do the install,
    >> INCLUDING the floppy disk original volume name for some programs. So
    >> maybe a text file with the list of volume names would be a good idea.

    > Or he could make images of the floppies with something like this:
    > http://www.towodo.com/products/floppyimage/
    >
    > Might be quicker as well if it has some sort of continuous mode.
    >
    > ss.

    I've not used that particular one, but many years ago my brother tried to
    start a shareware distribution business (pre-Internet - mail order) and we
    had software that would image floppies like that, then you could make
    multiple copies. It really is an excellent idea for this purpose as well.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 28, 2006
  8. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Synapse Syndrome wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> Neither. Those programs are for making images of hard drives to
    >>> another hard drive.
    >>>
    >>> All you need to do is copy the diskettes to organized folders on
    >>> your hard drive, and use your regular CD burning software to burn
    >>> those folders to disc. Make a main folder: C:\program_name, and then
    >>> subfolders under that: c:\program_name\disk_1, ...\disk_2, etc. and
    >>> copy each disk to it's own folder. Why? Many older install programs
    >>> that ran from floppy disc will NOT work correctly from a CD. You
    >>> would need to re-create the floppy discs to do the install,
    >>> INCLUDING the floppy disk original volume name for some programs. So
    >>> maybe a text file with the list of volume names would be a good idea.

    >> Or he could make images of the floppies with something like this:
    >> http://www.towodo.com/products/floppyimage/
    >>
    >> Might be quicker as well if it has some sort of continuous mode.
    >>
    >> ss.

    > I've not used that particular one, but many years ago my brother tried to
    > start a shareware distribution business (pre-Internet - mail order) and we
    > had software that would image floppies like that, then you could make
    > multiple copies. It really is an excellent idea for this purpose as well.

    I used to get 'public domain' shareware software for my Amiga '86-88. I got
    bored with computers for a while after that as I couldn't afford a HDD or
    extra memory or a modem for BBS (my mu thought I'd run up a huge phine bill,
    which I probably would have, and she thought I'd hack into some military
    installation and get into deep shit and stuf like that). Anyway, these
    floppies were compiled my this guy called Fred Fish. He must be somewhere
    on the internet these days..

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 28, 2006
  9. therod

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On 27 Jul 2006 17:44:38 -0700, "therod" <> wrote:

    >I want to get rid of my diskette library. I have a lot of a old
    >software on diskettes that I want to save on CD. For example, I have
    >some Borland C++ diskettes (14 diskettes in the set) that I would like
    >to create images of and then put them all on a single CD so that, if I
    >ever wanted to re-install the stuff, I could do it from one CD rather
    >than 14 diskettes.
    >
    >My question is, will True Image or Norton Ghost help me accomplish this
    >task. If so, which one might be a better at the job.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    >
    >Tom

    I use a prog called WinImage v6 to image floppies - creates an IMZ
    file which can be used to recreate the floppy, including boot sector
    information. I use it mainly because the only floppies I use are
    bootable (like a WinME startup disk, which can be used to start a PC),
    and simply copying the floppy's data to a hard disk ignores the boot
    info.

    If your floppies are not bootable and contain data only, the other
    posts in this thread are the way to go.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Jul 29, 2006
  10. therod

    Bill Gates Guest

    On 27 Jul 2006 17:44:38 -0700, "therod" <> wrote:

    >I want to get rid of my diskette library. I have a lot of a old
    >software on diskettes that I want to save on CD. For example, I have
    >some Borland C++ diskettes (14 diskettes in the set) that I would like
    >to create images of and then put them all on a single CD so that, if I
    >ever wanted to re-install the stuff, I could do it from one CD rather
    >than 14 diskettes.

    I've been down this road and let me tell you, if it's on a floppy you
    probably don't want it anymore. But if you insist use the program
    called rawrite for windows. The linux people used to use this for
    creating boot floppies. I use it to make any floppy I need, at any
    moment, without keeping 500 floppies around.

    http://www.chrysocome.net/rawwrite

    Bill Gates, Sep 18, 2007