troubleshooting wireless

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RustyM, Jan 17, 2010.

  1. RustyM

    RustyM Guest

    Hi, I have a 4 year old wireless Laptop that recently had viruses, trojans,
    etc removed.
    Ever since the infection 'got removed', my wireless connection keeps on
    coming and going. The little icon does not show that it has connectivity has
    gone. It always looks like it is 'on'. But when I click to go to sites,
    nothing hapens. moments/minutes later, it works again. But this is
    constantly and randomly; IE7 or Firefox or anything.

    *Here is what I want to try. I have a linksys USB wireless network adapter
    that i am using on a desktop. Will plugging/installing that device to my
    wireless laptop help in determining if the issue is mechanical on the
    laptop?
    *On the same note, if I connect my Laptop directly to the Qwest modem, will
    that also determine anything?
    Will I have to install the CD with either option?
    When I try either option, what do I need to do on my laptop before trying
    it? turn off the wireless button? etc?

    Note that before the LT infection, all was working perfectly.
    windows xp home edition sp2 IE7
    RustyM, Jan 17, 2010

  2. Hi
    Try this process, http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 17, 2010

  3. RustyM

    Pavel A. Guest

    No malware removal procedure is perfect... You still may need a clean
    install.
    --pa

    Pavel A., Jan 18, 2010
  4. RustyM

    RustyM Guest

    Hi Jack,
    I tried the fixes you suggested and ran 'winsock' and that 'LSP'; But that
    did not work to fix my issues. The connection still comes and goes randomly
    throughout the day. I did some reading on
    www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnetand and decided to run CWS shredder and
    it found and removed 2 things but it did not fix my wireless issue.

    BTW, I took my laptop to a hospital and was able to connect there, BUT the
    same thing was happening there; connection still would come and go..So again
    I confirmed that it is not my home connection but rather, the laptop.
    Thanks and if you have something else I can try, please let me know.

    RustyM, Jan 22, 2010
  5. Hi
    Look at the Wireless Card's drivers menu and set them Not to save Power.
    http://www.ezlan.net/example/powersave.jpg
    Do the same in any other spot in the laptop that involve configuration of
    Power saving.
    I.e set the Wireless to work at Max. capacity and not to go to sleep to save
    power.
    There always the possibility thta the wireless card itself is approaching
    End Of Life too.
    I.e., you might need a new Wireless card.

    Jack [MVP-Networking], Jan 22, 2010
  6. RustyM

    RustyM Guest

    Hi again, I changed the power settings for it to NOT save power.
    The problem still persists. But, the thought of my laptop having a
    mechanical issues did come to my mind as a possible reason for it having
    these wireless issues. Anything is possible.

    But it would be so ironic because ever since the laptop got infected and
    "supposedly" cleaned up, the wireless problem started then....Like if
    something got removed accidently during clean up removal process or maybe
    the virus attacked something that has to do with the wireless part of the
    laptop.

    But going back to the mechanical part, if the wireless card is reaching its
    'end', is there a site online that can scan for problems on my card/or tell
    me info that it is malfunctioning? If so, is it free?

    Thanks in advance ...................

    RustyM, Jan 22, 2010