Troubleshooting Rebuilt Wireless Connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mark & Mary Ann Weiss, Mar 7, 2005.

  1. I recently had to rebuild my operating environment on my laptop.
    Unfortunately, I lost all my wireless settings.
    The wireless worked well before I trashed my old hard drive while trying to
    clone it to a new, larger drive.

    I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 and the matching wireless PCMCIA card in the
    laptop.

    I'm using WEP encryption and generated a 128 bit key. I entered that key in
    the wireless network card setup. I can now see the router's name in my list
    of available wireless services, and I have an excellent signal reported by
    the wireless card properties.

    I have entered IP, DNS and the rest of the info for the TCP/IP properties.

    The problem I am having is that the laptop cannot access the network and
    cannot be seen by the network.

    IPCONFIG/ALL identifies the card, but DHCP is not enabled. All other info is
    present, IP, Subnet, Def Gatewy, DNS server, okay.

    I cannot PING any of the other computers, but the router is reporting a LINK
    and shows a flashing ACT LED when the laptop tries to access Network
    Neighborhood.

    Since I have a signal, can see the router broadcasting and ID, I assume the
    WEP key is correctly configured for the portable. However, I'm not sure if
    there may be some issue with WEP that is stopping the laptop from accessing
    the network, or if it's some other oversight.

    I'm running out of ideas, and I've spent the last 56 hours rebuilding the
    laptop, installing all my apps, troubleshooting and patching and getting it
    all back to where it was. I'm 90% there, but still have no wireless
    functionality. I'm tired and the answer is probably right under my nose, but
    I must be too tired to notice it.

    "NO network provider accepted the given path" is the error I get when trying
    to access a shared drive on any other PC on the LAN.

    Any suggestions what else I should check for?

    --
    Take care,

    Mark & Mary Ann Weiss

    VIDEO PRODUCTION . FILM SCANNING . DVD MASTERING . AUDIO RESTORATION
    Hear my Kurzweil Creations at: http://www.dv-clips.com/theater.htm
    Business sites at:
    www.dv-clips.com
    www.mwcomms.com